AuthorTopic: 124x124 Portrait  (Read 4224 times)

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

124x124 Portrait

on: August 28, 2020, 09:53:25 pm
This is my character from a RPG discord server, I do this in a high canvas that I don't usually work, but since I want make more big and complex I give a try, the ear is messy because I don't know how properly make it, but first I would want a critique on the face.

This was the reference that I use, I'm not good in pick colors, so I don't know if I represent his cheek properly despite in the image it's cleary the cheek doesn't have fat and make this slope on his face. Also, I would want give more details on the cloths, put some folds, etc. Thank you!

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: 124x124 Portrait

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 04:30:54 am
Looks too young. Maybe some more dramatic lighting?
Changed the colors quite a bit.

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 10:59:16 am
Thank you for your response! I follow you advice and make some changes, despite I prefer preserve some my aspects to do not seem I only copy and paste and add some details, I try to improve the ear and keep some of my colors.

Offline hANshOTtH3RD

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 09:57:13 pm
not sure if this helps, but this is all i could do in a pinch:

...done entirely with tracing, selections, masks and paint-bucket; sorry in advance if this is unhelpful, gimp was really starting to glitch out on me half way through...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 09:58:51 pm by hANshOTtH3RD »

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 01:01:25 am
not sure if this helps, but this is all i could do in a pinch:

...done entirely with tracing, selections, masks and paint-bucket; sorry in advance if this is unhelpful, gimp was really starting to glitch out on me half way through...

This help me understand better the nose format, besides didn't stay good for the reason be my lack of skill.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 02:09:16 am
Your last version is looking good.  You just have to play with these things.

Offline SeDiceBisonte

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/209146.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 10:28:37 am
Edit:
I did a second version because I think the mouth also needed to be wider. I also darkened the skin around the eyes to give the sockets more depth and suggest a bit of wrinkling.

Original post:

Out of interest, is the character intended to be Richard Sorge or does he just have the right look? Just asking to know whether a close resemblance is necessary and also because it influences the clothes. I got the impression from the tie width and cut of the jacket that the character was 1960s but, if it's Sorge, a 40s look would mean wider lapels and a much wider tie. Either way, there are some other good reference photos of Sorge just on his Wikipedia page, which are at angles more similar to your picture.

I've done a little edit:

The main thing I did was make the face longer because I think that's one of his defining features. I also moved the mouth down from the nose and increased the length of the chin a bit because the mouth should be about halfway between the nose and the bottom of the face. I also tried to give the nose a bit more volume because I thought it looked slightly flat.

The other main differences are that I pulled the hair back a bit because he has a high forehead, the widening of the body, and the straightening of the arm. The elbow is around the waist if your arm hangs straight down, so you wouldn't see a bend in it that high up. That said, there's a decent amount of empty space above the character so you could probably move him up and keep the bent arm which I like as far as the character design goes.

I'm looking forward to the next version of this because I think he's an interesting looking character. Could you tell us a bit about him?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:23:46 pm by SeDiceBisonte »

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 12:25:15 pm
Edit:
I did a second version because I think the mouth also needed to be wider. I also darkened the skin around the eyes to give the sockets more depth and suggest a bit of wrinkling.

Original post:

Out of interest, is the character intended to be Richard Sorge or does he just have the right look? Just asking to know whether a close resemblance is necessary and also because it influences the clothes. I got the impression from the tie width and cut of the jacket that the character was 1960s but, if it's Sorge, a 40s look would mean wider lapels and a much wider tie. Either way, there are some other good reference photos of Sorge just on his Wikipedia page, which are at angles more similar to your picture.

I've done a little edit:

The main thing I did was make the face longer because I think that's one of his defining features. I also moved the mouth down from the nose and increased the length of the chin a bit because the mouth should be about halfway between the nose and the bottom of the face. I also tried to give the nose a bit more volume because I thought it looked slightly flat.

The other main differences are that I pulled the hair back a bit because he has a high forehead, the widening of the body, and the straightening of the arm. The elbow is around the waist if your arm hangs straight down, so you wouldn't see a bend in it that high up. That said, there's a decent amount of empty space above the character so you could probably move him up and keep the bent arm which I like as far as the character design goes.

Oh hi again! I don't receive a notification from my email, so I'm only saw you post now.

I didn't knew that his name was Richard Sorge, when I develop him I just type "Russian Spy" and saw his photo, since I didn't knew his name I try use my studies about turn face to try to make his face in 3/4 view. Besides, u made him have large cheeks bones.

I'm looking forward to the next version of this because I think he's an interesting looking character. Could you tell us a bit about him?

I belive u want to know his background? He is from my Call of Cthulhu RPG discord server, names Eegor Vlad Joseph, he borns near during the 1917's revolution and had a little sister and a brother from the same age, he hates meat because during a starving period in Russian he saw your little sister get ate by tsarist during his young and the lack of meat nutrients make him have a weak body, he works like a spy for the Bolsheviks and during WW1.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 07:23:14 pm by tecnologgamer »

Offline SeDiceBisonte

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/209146.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 07:48:38 pm
I dunno, I reckon he has reasonably prominent cheekbones in other images, though that's not so relevant since it isn't Richard Sorge anyway! The character sounds really interesting. Is it set in the 60s? That seems plausible from his age.

Offline tecnologgamer

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 08:02:03 pm
I dunno, I reckon he has reasonably prominent cheekbones in other images, though that's not so relevant since it isn't Richard Sorge anyway! The character sounds really interesting. Is it set in the 60s? That seems plausible from his age.

No, it's set after WW1.