AuthorTopic: Pixel Bunny [WIP]  (Read 4965 times)

Offline tarwater

• View Profile

Pixel Bunny [WIP]

on: October 08, 2007, 12:05:04 am
Hi, I'm new to this messageboard and fairly new to pixel art.
I created this bunny yesterday and I don't consider it finished. I don't really have any color palette restrictions. I'd like to animate it running/hopping also, just for fun, before I get to that tho, I would like to see if there are some improvements that I could make on it.
I think when it comes to animating I will regret making it's legs and arms so tiny.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Bunny [WIP]

Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 12:51:40 am

10 colors instead of 15, showing the power of what contrast can do to a piece, I made two versions since it just shows how much of a difference it looks stylistically speaking when uh, you know, you take out a highlight here or take out a darker shade there(In this case I took out a highlight).

Offline bluknight

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:49:09 am

10 colors instead of 15, showing the power of what contrast can do to a piece, I made two versions since it just shows how much of a difference it looks stylistically speaking when uh, you know, you take out a highlight here or take out a darker shade there(In this case I took out a highlight).
I think your edits made it so that it no longer seems furry, and I don't really think they look better than tarwater's origina..

I'm also not sure what your sentence is supposed to be saying.
Are you saying that to show the power of contrast you made two versions? Or are you saying that the 10 color version is displaying contrast?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 01:57:25 am
I made two different versions to show you how much of a drastic style change there can be with a color change, the 10 color count as opposed to his 15 color count was to show that he could've just used some more contrast and gotten rid of some colors. His never really looked furry in the first place anyway, mine actually looks furrier(More furry?) because I don't just have a dark outline around mine.

Offline Androk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 06:22:41 am
To op, I'd suggest higher saturation of colors, to cause the character to pop out more, but it's honestly a style call. Colors can def be reduced, I went from 13 down to around 8-9, without losing quality, and this will make animating alot easier as you have less colors to worry about =D.

Yeah tiny arms will cause most problems as You can work with small legs, but it won't limit you too much.

Try and avoid the whole outline thing, there is actually a really good tutorial somewhere around here about how you can remove em and make the character appear alot better.

Anyway here is my poor attempt at an illustration. Sadly I started messing around with colors and fudged that up x.x

But I'm pretty much a beginner my self so yeah, take everything I said with a grain of salt :)

[Edit] ahh the bunnies tummies and teeth are MIA x.x
[Edit-2] All right fixed it =D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:28:41 am by Androk »
She's not guarding right now, she's just holding a thing to pass along to her husband warrior and then go do the dishes and change the diapers on the snake-babies.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:31:13 am
I made two different versions to show you how much of a drastic style change there can be with a color change, the 10 color count as opposed to his 15 color count was to show that he could've just used some more contrast and gotten rid of some colors. His never really looked furry in the first place anyway, mine actually looks furrier(More furry?) because I don't just have a dark outline around mine.

frankly im surprised you think that, the rushed quality and hard gaps between colors makes the edit look noisy, not furry.

to be honest guys, i think the original here is the most successful piece. The softness of it implies fur without texture.  some slight AA around the outline would not be out of place, and there are a few useless colors (gray on the lower tummy), but overall it's very solid.  reduce the colors a little and clean the edges then get on to animating is what i say.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline WhiteNoise

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 07:51:57 pm
Adarias is right, the original looks best.
Tarwater, if you're worried about the arms and legs being too small then maybe you should try out what it looks like with bigger ones first?
Personally, i think animating it like it is now might look kind of comical (in a good sense), bouncing around and flapping its tiny arms and legs around.

Offline tarwater

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 09:53:01 pm
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I still want to mess around with the colors and do some more work to make the outline less prominent. I decided to get started on the run just to see how I could make look, so here are a couple quick tests. I'm not that happy with it yet. Overlapping the ears was difficult, and I held back on putting an outline in some areas, I'm still learning on getting past relying on outlines.

bengoshia - I like how you worked the pink of the nose into the ears, I think I will do that too. Also it would probably be better if I were to lower the number of colors, although this is just for fun.

Offline tokidokizenzen

• View Profile
    • poppon

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 02:12:42 pm
Nice work tarwater. Get that guy into Promotion and make his ears do stuff.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 02:06:22 am
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5201.0
If you haven't already seen, some very pertinent animation information in this thread.