AuthorTopic: [wip!] METROPOLIS, an oekaki doodle? huh?  (Read 5098 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

[wip!] METROPOLIS, an oekaki doodle? huh?

on: October 06, 2007, 10:56:14 pm
Ayo!

Inspired by Phil Mulloy's shorts (which, if you don't mind some smutty 'scatological' humour, I really recommend). Yes, you're completely right -- this is a couple of random lines interweaving with random blots, cracks and flaws everywhere; an almost completely chaotic and probably the most unsteady piece I've ever made, though it doesn't mean it doesn't have any meaning -- I don't know why I spent so many whiles on that but. . . oh well.

It probably can't be classified as the pixel art as we know it, since as far as the regular pixel art goes, the piece breaks its few principles and limitations -- I was using various dither brushes and the whole composition, if I were to tell honestly, was created partially by an accident (however, neither sampling nor tracing techniques were used). Hence the term 'oekaki' would probably describe it better.

Nevertheless, I'm putting it here for you to C&C (it isn't finished yet). Tear it pieces.

Oh, and there you have the Ar's (a fellow Polish pixelmaker) edit, funny enough to attach to the original post. Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 08:51:47 am by Skurwy »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline bluknight

• View Profile

Re: [wip?] METROPOLIS, an oekaki doodle? huh?

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 01:32:14 am
It's very cool, but doesn't it break one of the forum rules?
I don't think it can be considered pixel art since pixel art is art on the pixel level...
In this strictest sense this was drawn with pixels, but care was not made in their precise positioning, so this is more just computer art.

I definitely like it though, looks like a war-torn city, and the huge head reminds of Doctor Who and the Face of Bo

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:51:28 am
Right now this is too sloppily executed to have much aesthetic value, for me at least. Make it about half as small and put some genuine effort into the shading and dithering, and it'll be something. There's just too much bucket fill scribbley stuff everywhere to take it seriously.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 04:19:13 am
I really like this, although, as you said, it's not pixel art. I feel that the chaotic nature of the piece represents the chaotic nature of the Metropolis.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 04:26:58 am
there is a thread for things like this?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:16:09 am
@ Adarias : Whoops! Well, I should-a thought about that. . . :)

I feel that the chaotic nature of the piece represents the chaotic nature of the Metropolis.
;)

Thanks everyone! Aight, I'm going to work little more on that, so just treat it like the first step in a progress, like a sort of a concept sketch.

edit: Slowly, slowly. . .

The robot character on the left is Helm's ZX22. If the finished piece's OKAY enough, I will leave him here.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 11:07:25 am by Skurwy »
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline bluknight

• View Profile

Re: [wip!] METROPOLIS, an oekaki doodle? huh?

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:44:06 pm
I don't know if your most recent post with the cropped image was a response to pkmays telling you you should make it smaller, but I definitely think it looks worse cropped like that.

The chaotic stuff at the top is what a lot of us like about this, and the head being all white looks good when in contrast to that.

I also don't like the solid white head on the other guy. In the first picture, it looked like he had no head and I thought it was much more interesting.
The small guy with no head offering something to this giant head with no body, all in a war torn city. It even seemed like the giant head was looking THROUGH the small dude, and the small one is offering something to the giant head which seems to indicate he is of a higher class or of more importance.

This is part of the nature of such scribbley art though, people tend to see in it what they want to see.
I hope you find this post as interesting as I found that first piece.

Offline Dirteater

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 01:55:56 pm
Really nice, i agree that it looked a hell of alot better when it was a taller peice :D

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 06:31:44 pm
Well, no. I've cropped the piece just to make it easier to work on -- and since it was composed of two separate 640*480[px] images (you can see the juncture), it's more convenient for me to keep it in that way. The two characters were, imo, the most prominent part and that's why I'm redoing the lower picture in the first place.

Thank you, bluknight, I find your post very interesting and somehow abstracting from the majority of "bad art!" comments. I really like your way of interpreting the whole thing -- you'll call it a kind of a paradox but it inspires me even more than my original idea.

This is part of the nature of such scribbley art though, people tend to see in it what they want to see.
Agree! Also, you have the answer to the "Why did you post that shit?" question here.

P. S. : The giant head DOES look THROUGH the smaller character on a balcony (sic!), as without any interest and respect to what, let's call him a philosopher, have to say.

The guy on the left, the just-named philosopher, was shaped into a form slightly resembling one of Helm's characters : ZX22, the thinking robot (you know him!). I thought he would fit perfectly in the composition and I've even started sketching him (look below), but now I'm not completely sure -- he really deserves much more, a much-more-thought-over piece.

http://jspade.republika.pl/metrochunk3.png
http://jspade.republika.pl/metrochunk4.png

Though, after reading your comment, bluknight, I think I might come back to the original concept, with a headless guy.

P. S. : At last, you can look it upon as a kind of a Photoshop style parody, with all that brushes and superfluous fireworks which, in fact, don't make a piece of work any better. :)

CU!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:48:55 am by Skurwy »