AuthorTopic: Portrait & Sprite  (Read 3580 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Portrait & Sprite

on: October 06, 2007, 03:09:23 am
 I was pixeling him for a site. He's the protagonist from the game series Crusader by Origins. 

Image Reference:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 03:17:03 am by Andy Tran »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Portrait & Sprite

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 05:38:30 am
Portrait looks good, maybe you could make the lines a bit more mathematical - what i mean is, his armour looks dented because the curves are wrong in some places. His antenna is shaded wrong, it doesn't look like a cylinder at all, look at the reference pick. And while shadows below the antenna make sense, you have some above it which doesn't look good. But the shading is simple and effective, i like it alot.
Maybe his left shoulder should be bigger?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 08:55:13 pm

A sort of quick messy edit, but it shows a few highlights and shadows you missed--I guess some you don't need, but there are a few, like the shadow of the ridge on the helmet, that are crucial to the definition.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 08:18:19 pm
Thanks! I really like edit. I'll take it and learn from it. I like the effects you added, it fits this type of character.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 10:45:06 pm

My edit is similar to Rydins, except I reverxed the shadows beside the "fin" of his helm.
The highlights are in no way good, but I hoped to fix the contrast between the highlights and your midtones.

I don't know if that's what it is, but his "collar" was shaded wrong, imo. Yours makes it look like a dent. I think I've addressed the shape in my edit, but I realize you are using too many colors that have values that are too close.

I didn't touch the antenna, though it needs a lot of fixes, mainly the shape of the shading, which doesn't show a sphere and a slim cylinder.

You could also fix the jaggy lines.

Make it like the above line in the example instead of the line below it.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:27:53 pm
No comments on the piece... just an observation on the character...

...I remember when this game first came out I thought "hmmm... nice rip off of Boba Fett" - and now I see it again I think it's uncanny how much it looks like a clone trooper... only this was released years before the new starwars flix...

It's fascinating how starwars influenced the design of this character and then this character is then echoed in starwars... in weird kind of time/design/feedback loop... although I doubt the peeps who created the clone trooper outfits were thinking of Crusader...

...or were they??!?
 :huh:
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com