AuthorTopic: Dead Rising SNES demake mockup  (Read 6052 times)

Offline Jigsaw

• お前はもう死んでいる。
    • View Profile
    • Josef Axner: Digital Art Portfolio

Dead Rising SNES demake mockup

on: October 05, 2007, 11:45:51 pm
Been playing a fair bit of Dead Rising lately, and between that and the recent Gameboy Demake Mockup Frenzy, I felt inspired to whip this up.

It's really the first time I've anything like this, as most of my pixeling experience comes from fighting game sprites and the like. Doing the character sprites (especially Frank) was alot of fun, but the tiles/background stuff not so much. I feel alot of it looks really plain, but being the first time I'm dealing with tiles, I had a very hard time figuring out how to improve them.

There are alot of aspects I'm not 100% happy with... For one the screenshot looks a little empty, and ultimately I really didn't make any effort to base it on the specs or limitations of the SNES hardware. I'm starting to feel kinda burnt out and fed up working on it though, so I felt I wanted to just call it done and move on. I had originally wanted to do a few more mockup shots, but it's alot of work, and I'd rather put the time and effort into something I'd be more excited about.

Please feel free to give any c&c, opinions or whatever.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Re: Dead Rising SNES demake mockup

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:52:28 pm
... I really didn't make any effort to base it on the specs or limitations of the SNES hardware....
yeah, but kinda suits on a sfamicom, at least eyeballed, i thought it was true lies, but there isnt so much appearance as i thougt.
good work!

Offline Jigsaw

• お前はもう死んでいる。
    • View Profile
    • Josef Axner: Digital Art Portfolio

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:57:01 pm
Well, er, I mean, obviously I had it in mind when designing it. But I didn't go over it meticulously to make sure it contains colours the SNES couldn't display, or that there are too many different tiles, or palettes, or whatever. I had wanted to originally, but by the time I got to that stage I just kind of wanted to put it behind me. Call it unfinished, whatever - I'm happy with it for what it is, and I'm ready to move on to something else...

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 01:40:09 am
It looks great. Love bend in zombie's legs. Perspective is good too. His bat looks wrong though.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 01:43:26 am
I'm can't really help make the image look better, nor have I played Dead Rising, but that perspective and the idea that you go around beating up zombies reminds me of the game Zombies Ate My Neighbors, though not as cartoony.

Offline Marshmellow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 02:32:08 pm
May I suggest a potted plant or a bench or maybe a fountain to make it look a bit less plain?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 02:25:46 am
Add more plants and crap like Marshmellow said, there's a few little tweaks you should do to the menu but god, this looks great, almost you know, like it could be made into an SNES rom that in turn could be played on SNES emulators and oh say.... an actual SNES?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:11:17 am by bengoshia »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 07:15:20 pm
The main character is great.  Reminds me of Chaos Engine.  Everything is good, but lacks the polish of the main character.  The colors on the zombie are so basic, and everything in general is segmented by color.  I feel like a zombie game should look dirty dark and dank.  Everything down to the zombies' jackets is clean.  I guess what I'm trying to say is it's clear you have the pixelling competence, I'd just like to see some atmosphere.