AuthorTopic: Community Game Development Project  (Read 38891 times)

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Re: Community Game Development Project

Reply #20 on: November 26, 2005, 10:13:04 pm
i have tons of cool puzzle concepts, I have a microbacteria puzzle one that I may put up here in a day or 2 if nobody else submits anything.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2005, 12:06:08 am
Post 'em Dog. I can't say I speak for anyone here, but I'm finding it pretty difficult coming up with a concept for a puzzle game. I'm not even sure where to start, really.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #22 on: November 27, 2005, 04:14:26 am

Dig Dug meets Tetris Attack meets Bauns.

You are a small, ground-dwelling creature (A dog!?) who must make it to the surface in time for the Woodland Creatures' Annual Party, the greatest day of the year when all woodland critters get together into a massive mosh pit and get stoned and drunk and generally enjoy themselves in the most immoral ways while listening to superfast death metal and D&B techno and Yani. Anyway, you overslept and now you need to hurry to the surface through tons of colorful blocks. To do this you must dig through the colorful blocks and use your mighty claws to push them around. Anyway, the gameplay:

You move your guy around with the [WASD] or cursor keys, digging through the dirt in a manner reminiscient of Dig Dug. Unfortunately, you only get a certain amount of steps, and if the steps run out, you're a deadman. To replenish your steps, you must move the colorful dirtblocks around by pressing [space] or [J]. This will allow you to swap any two blocks adjacent to your character (including diagonals). Once you have a large grouping of like colors, you can use your hammer ([K]) to eliminate all of the adjacent blocks. The more blocks you get rid of at once, the higher your score and more steps you recieve. Along the way, you'll be able to get powerups such as bombs(eliminate all blocks of a color or a large area around your character), boots (unlimited steps for a limited amount of time), a clock (time bonus), and the graviton ub3rnator (causes all blocks to fall, filling up empty spaces and eliminating the ones that touch). The little map to the side shows how far up you have progressed.

Just an Idea I quickly threw together to show how seemingly unrelated genres can be combined. (also because not many other people are replying to this awesome activity.)

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 28, 2005, 09:00:01 am
Hey what's up?
I thought I'd give my pixel art portfolio a shot of espresso, and offer to help with the temple/block building animation from all 4 isometric angles of ancient construction workers for the following idea(read on for explanation), kind of a crazy block building strategy game...

for level one, the player has to make "ramps" and "supports" to finish the temple properly. I guess the rules dictate you have to have a one small block maximum vertical distance to drag the big pieces on top, and proper supports for the "wall" blocks.

Peace
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 03:51:57 pm by dtek »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #24 on: November 28, 2005, 10:41:18 pm
I'm sorry I've turned in no help Alex, I really dont have ideas for puzzle games, I've never got into one...

In my last post what I said about "artist boards" really reflected more of how I feel....I kinda feel alienated by the theme, I really dont know what makes a puzzler tick.

I still stand by what I said, to ask for puzzle ideas in an artist board....well, let's just say I dont think you'll get much feedback, I think you should put more yourself in this phase, and just wait for artistic implementation phases to really expect comunity feedback to be the driving force.

I do have some thoughts on how to improve some of the ideas posted though, but since you mentioned polls I guess we should wait for a diferent phase for that.

I just had an idea...at an artist board we may not be able to come up with a puzzler out of the blue, but I find it's always easier to say what NOT to do, than to propose something....so maybe we should make decisions about the game slowly, start by asking general design questions, then narrow it down to specifics as the activity advances, that way no one really has to create a big idea, but we can advance a little faster.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 10:49:47 pm by Camus »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2005, 04:20:36 am
Since voteing is underway, I'd say now is a good time for those who would like to create the pixel-art for a game, to make themselves known by posting a few samples of their work.