AuthorTopic: Need crit on a meteor pixel signiture updates 22nd Oct!  (Read 10848 times)

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Re: Need crit on a meteor pixel signiture. - updated

Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 09:54:51 pm
updated again, moved the meteor, made his head slightly larger and started shading the montains. thanks alot for your comments, any edits would be greatly appreciated! thanks alot, - rob

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Re: Need crit on a meteor pixel signiture updates 20th Oct

Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 10:46:29 pm
Updated:

Added quite a bit, tried a bit more dramatic highlighting  :-\

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 01:51:58 pm
now the tree needs aa.
untz untz untz?

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 02:37:57 pm
I'm not trying to say OMG 174 COLORS ARE TOO MUCH!111, but 174 are really a pain to work with if you want to make some fine looking pixel art.
I think you should limit yourself to max 64 colors (which is totally enough for such a piece), but yeah I guess its your decision..
I made a little quick edit trying to add more depth since that seems to be a big problem with this scene..

There's only one visible light source in this scene, and as the background suggests a nightscene, I don't get why the two guys and the rest of the foreground are so bright from the viewers side. My edit doesn't completly fix this problem, but it might give an idea in what direction you could go ;)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 02:50:25 pm
I like how the background is coming along, but I think you need a lot more light than that, and, like philipptr mentioned, the rest should be even darker. It has also been mentioned before, but the gray colors in the meteor need to go. Replace them with white or yellow. I also think 174 colors are too much. Personally, I'd go for about 30 or so since there's mostly brown in the palette.

The shading on the two men makes them seem flat. The blue knight should be mostly in shadow since he's between us and the light source, and there should also be a lot more shadow on the green knight. The blood would also reflect some light.

I'd place the green knight's leg in front of the blue's since it looks very odd that he's standing next to the man he's attacking.

Their legs are malformed, too. Make their thighs the same size and shape. The blue knight also needs bigger hands.

I don't think you'd be able to see stars that close to a bright light source like that. Maybe in the other end of the image, but not that close to the meteor.

What's the orange shape at the top of the tallest tree?

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Re: Need crit on a meteor pixel signiture updated 21th Oct

Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 05:24:11 pm
had just done this;

then i read you're CC and looked at phillipptr's edit and changed it to this, thanks so much for the help ;), especially phil's edit helped alot. just realised how stupid the grey bits in the meteor looked   :-\

and Arachne it's a volcano erupting.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 06:37:27 pm
TO THE MAX, SUPER ROUGH EDIT:
(All I editted was the guy.)
Though this has improved MASSIVELY since you first posted it, you've consistently avoided increasing the contrast too much. Though your last edit was an improvement, it was a compromise between Philip's moderate, but still lacking lighting (No offense), and your old, randomly illuminated pic-a-ture.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 07:41:56 pm
Here's what I had in mind.

Garish, maybe, but I think it's what you'd get if you placed something in front of a bright flame at night. I also changed the shape of the meteor since the friction from the air (which is what's making it burn in the first place) would push the flames back. Also added some more red to the lava to make it less uniform.

I reduced the color count drastically. You could easily double the color count here and still end up with only a fifth of what you're using. Color conservation might seem like a lot of hassle, but it'll make you think more about the few colors you are using. :)

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 10:50:45 am
those edits help so much, thank you both :) i will definetly change quite a bit with regard to lighting, however im not sure if i want to commit to such a heavy change, as it's mainly for a good appearance, not realism, if you can understand where i'm coming from  :-\ but i will definetly take your edits into account. thanks again, i'll post an update asap.

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 06:36:08 pm
any better?  :-\

added an update to 1st post, to see contrast better between the new one and previous one.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 06:37:53 pm by `Rob »