AuthorTopic: Need crit on a meteor pixel signiture updates 22nd Oct!  (Read 10844 times)

Offline `Rob

• View Profile
Hi, this is like my second thread here in ages, i mostly browse. Yes this is a runescape signiture :( im mostly after critisism on the meteor, tree and suggestions on colours and ways to do the ground etc. feel 100% free to make as many edits to this as you need.

Updated; took away the previous one with the bad cropping :) and added an improved version.

New update; Any better?  :-\

Thanks alot for helping, Rob  :y:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:52:15 pm by `Rob »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Re: Need crit on a meteor pixel signiture.

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:06:24 pm
I suggest you crop your image. At the moment it's quite hard to see it clearly because the white is so bright next to the picture, which is quite dim in comparison. Once you crop it i'm sure people will find looking at it easier.  :y:

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Re: Need crit on a metoer pixel signiture.

Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 08:08:11 pm
The meteor looks really good. I'd just drop the grayishness on the front, thats wher it should be the lightest/most saturated(i guess).
Considering how close that flaming meteor is to that guy, the ground, and that tree, everything should be a lot lighter. The guy should be very lit up, with relatively dark shadows, same with the tree. Then the ground should be lighter around them.
And is it night time? if so, the mountains should be much darker, and no matter white time, they should be less saturated because they are so far away.
Keep working at it, I think this will be really cool.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Need crit on a meteor pixel signiture. - updated

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 02:45:43 am
I'd say the head in the guys hand's needs to be made bigger at the back. It seems his hands are too long and his forearm could be thicker. Other than that looks pretty good. Is the meteor in front of the mountians? If so, the ground below could glow. Also it looks a bit like the meteor is fire coming out of the dead head.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 12:58:55 pm
Dude, this is your chance to do uber dramatic lighting, since the meteor is so close.

The leg under the cape should be in shadow more.

Hope to see a more dramatized lighting. ;)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline `Rob

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 11:39:47 am
updated :)

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 12:54:52 pm
hmmm The lightsource on the axe in the tree stump does not match, unless there are two. I would assume the meteor to be the main lighsource, but you have it shaded as if there is a light coming from our left. Really this piece could be improved with some more dynamic shading. That meteor is providing a great opportunity to add some great ambient lighting.
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 02:07:20 pm
It could be light reflected onto the axe from the stump. I like it cos its like shadow of the beast. The green guys right hand is in a bad place, i think it needs to be moved out. The blue guy's right leg looks
bad. Hope you fix these problems when you have settled on your composition.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 04:31:57 pm
A kind of Frank Frazetta -like situation, only the obligatory helpless babe is missing.

I agree with sharprm's first post that the severed head needs to be bigger in the back.

The composition in itself could be improved greatly if..

1. You extended the canvas downwards so that their feet didn't crop off, which is always bad.
2. You moved the meteor to the left so it wouldn't seem as if it were touching the foreground elements.
3. The empty area on the right seems unnecessary.
4. The shape of the meteor seems bumpy.. make it elliptical.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 05:06:57 pm
hmmm with further examination..

All of the things depicted in this scene, are all in the front, which leaves the middle ground and back ground unbalanced with the foreground. I would add some depth, and I would attempt to make the severed head more realistic. I assumed it was an odd shield for a week, and only today realized it was a severed head :-[
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.