AuthorTopic: Uh.... ugly guy.....  (Read 5072 times)

Offline skeddles

• I love these emoticons.
    • View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Uh.... ugly guy.....

on: October 04, 2007, 02:19:39 am

Been workin on this for the past couple days. How's it look?

For some reason, the pants look really flat, but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions.
And what color for the shirt/ should I put a background.

Update:

got the pants to work, now just gotta finish them. Also touched up on his hat thingy/boots.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 03:37:20 am by skeddles »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: Uh.... ugly guy.....

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 03:12:48 am
Work on the shirt. The rest is good, but just finish that shirt. I would like to see how it looks when it's done.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 05:31:10 am
Nice pallete, looks good so far. I don't like the dithering you did on the pants though. edit: didn't see lower pick. And his right foot looks flat (while his left one looks good). His left hand and arm need work on the line art, it looks like what a child would draw to me. The head and hat look excellent though :) I think the pant pocket is somewhat strange
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 05:32:43 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline skeddles

• View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 12:44:19 am
Nice pallete, looks good so far. I don't like the dithering you did on the pants though. edit: didn't see lower pick. And his right foot looks flat (while his left one looks good). His left hand and arm need work on the line art, it looks like what a child would draw to me. The head and hat look excellent though :) I think the pant pocket is somewhat strange

What about the arm/pocket? I,m not sure what exactly is wrong with it.

Offline Keed

• View Profile
    • Fourside

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 01:01:13 am
His pocket extends up past his pants, that will probably fix itself once the shirt is filled in
Life is tough. It's tougher if your stupid

Offline skeddles

• View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 08:41:36 pm

Pants are done, but I am still undecided about the shirt.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 09:16:45 pm
I think the pose is very bland.  I mean, even if it IS break-time, and he IS standing around the like the government worker he is (and like government workers do :P), it doesn't mean he's got to have such a rigid stance.  There's plenty of more interesting stances that still show boredom effectively.  If it were my piece, I'd have the shovel between his legs, both of his hands resting on the handle with elbows out, and his chin resting all its weight on his hands.

Also, I'd emphasize the chubby-ness a bit more...maybe his shirt isn't quite big enough?

Apart from the anatomy issues (of which I really couldn't help with) I guess I have nothing else to offer right now. Stance; and expression.

Hope that leads you somewhere.  Good luck.

Btw:Reminds me of Kon's 'Treasure Hunter'
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 09:22:58 pm
Is the thread going to go two pages before someone mentions the figure is off-balance and leaning to the left?

The rendering is good interlace dither practise, but it makes him look like he's made out of granite. Perhaps ease up the dithering with flatter forms? Works well most of the time. Dither generally should be a localised thing.

Offline skeddles

• View Profile
    • Skeddles.com

Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:42:20 am
Is the thread going to go two pages before someone mentions the figure is off-balance and leaning to the left?

The rendering is good interlace dither practise, but it makes him look like he's made out of granite. Perhaps ease up the dithering with flatter forms? Works well most of the time. Dither generally should be a localised thing.

Oh god, i was hoping no one would notice that. If you look through my drawing book, you see that almost all my drawings do that. I really got to stop... I guess he's leaning up against a wall...

And i just wanted to try out this new dithering method. But if I follow through with the entire piece, it could be a stylistic thing, couldn't it? Well, it was just a test anyway. Next piece i'm gonna aim for no dithering. What do you mean by localised?

Thank you very much for the comment!

@Rydin- I know, i have a lot of trouble with poses. If I wasnt so far, I'd redo it, but I really like how it looks now. Thanks though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 03:46:55 am by skeddles »