AuthorTopic: Shiba Inu and stuff  (Read 14765 times)

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: Shiba Inu and stuff

Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:41:02 am
Again, thanks for the comments and criticism.
Here are the latest versions of both shiba inu and ittanmomen. I've edited a few things after reading some of the critique, but I think they will stay the way they are right now unless I find something that needs to be really changed.

@ Agent green: Uhm, right now the saved steps I have jump a lot from one to another and doesn't show much, so uhm, next time I'll save more often (without saving over).
@ Larwick: The shiba inu was meant to be my avatar but ended up being too big. As for the monster, I have in mind making some sort of bestiary with youkai and stuff.

And another one:

A karakasa, an old umbrella that turned into a monster after being discarded and/or misused.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 07:14:31 pm
Very nice i like them, very good style. Is the umbrella any chance from the kirby games :P or at least used in them? I just noticed that!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:11:28 pm
The umbrella thing is a classical Japanese monster. It's in LOADS of games, like Parodius or Mystical Ninja for example.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 10:29:19 pm
very very nice, nothing to say, oh, maybe about one question :

just to know how you made your characters? coming from a paper draw with this kind of lineart? or it's directly pixel with a basic line art?

and the best for me : the scarf, love the line art and  the style !!!

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 05:40:45 am
Nah, I don't trace from paper, too much work.
I start doing a fast sketch (on the canvas) and keep changing parts until I'm satisfied. Then I block the base colors I'm going to use, and from there I start cleaning everything, adding details, shading, AA etc, until I'm done.

And yeah, ptoing is right. The karakasa is one of the most used monsters in games, manga, cartoons etc.
It's one of the stereotypes of the bunch I'd say.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:52:05 am by Panda »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 07:49:06 am
Nurikabe, a wall youkai that stops your way, and the only go through it is by knocking the lower part, which might sound familiar to anyone that has played Okami.
Also it might look familiar to any who has played a supermario game, as they got inspired by them when making Whomp.
Anyway:

and the steps:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 08:18:07 am by Panda »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #16 on: October 08, 2007, 07:40:27 pm
I've been watching these for a while now... and I have to say, tis a beaut style... so nicely rendered.

Something I'd like to point out to others that may have gone unnoticed is the way line weight changes these pieces. The way it changes and becomes heavier in places and lighter in others is a really nice touch and something that makes these appear so yummy.

Tell me Panda, just out of curiosity, what is the thinking behind your decisions for your line weights - is it something you're doing conciously or do you chop and change as you see fit on an ad hoc notion based purely on the asthetics of the piece?

(I suspect the latter?) 

Charming work... :)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline WhiteNoise

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: October 08, 2007, 08:07:10 pm
Is the dog part of the same character universe? He looks really out of place next to the other 3 creations

Otherwise, cleanest pixelwork ever

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: October 08, 2007, 09:34:33 pm
very pretty renders. I'm not sure the grasping arms on the last one are done in as pleasing way as possible. Perhaps a hand study and then a simplification, instead of working straight from stylised memory there would help?

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 08:26:32 am
@ baccaman21: The line weight was half planned, half put up as I carried on pixelling.
I mainly put line weight on the places I wanted the focus to be on (close to the faces), but also added a bit here and there to balance the picture (so it wouldn't be like, Heavy lines on the right, light ones on the left) and for aesthetic purposes.

@WhiteNoise: The dog is not part of the youkai bestiary. It was going to be my avatar but ended up being too big.

@Helm: Yeah I should edit those hands, I should add the joints, and angle and lower the last two fingers (pinky and ring finger?... or whatever they are when they only have 4 fingers in the hand). But yeah, I will definitely play with them, thanks for pointing out.