AuthorTopic: Learning to see and not just look  (Read 7619 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Learning to see and not just look

Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 12:54:14 pm
I've found an interesting excercise in perception is to sketch a blank wall... good tonal excercise.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 02:26:40 pm
If you draw the blank wall that you have in your mind, yes, it'll be blank. If you draw one you're looking it, you'll realise there's value shifts and tones and details there.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:28 pm
I've found an interesting excercise in perception is to sketch a blank wall... good tonal excercise.

Sketching a blank wall? You won't put a single thing on the paper if you do that...

Point of the excercise this is, young grasshopper/skywalker... Perception is not what we think we see but what is truly there - Learn to see with the eyes and not the mind. The mind is the Artists folly. Interpretation of what they percieve to be real is the true way and key to all forms.

Try it. If all you get is a blank piece of paper - then so be it... your powers of perception are weak... but if you make some marks that even delineate some notion of tonal variance then you are one step further to enlightenment.

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 08:25:04 pm
Rather than reading books, I recommend copying from pictures that you like, that way you can learn the tricks that the artist uses, rather than discovering everything youself by trial and error. But it beats books imo because "people who can't do, teach".

'Drawing on the right side of the brain' is an awesome book, though. Has helped me a great deal.
' _ '

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 10:56:43 pm
That's odd, I can't seem to view any of the images on IE...

Anyway, I've only done the drawing from an upside-down ref once, and that was when I was nine, so maybe I'll try it again for practise, and the "blank wall" thing.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 01:53:28 am
Rather than reading books, I recommend copying from pictures that you like, that way you can learn the tricks that the artist uses, rather than discovering everything youself by trial and error. But it beats books imo because "people who can't do, teach".
I disagree, at least about Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.  I DON'T like books that teach you how to draw.  Books with titles like "Drawing for Beginners" are such crap because they try to teach how to put marks on a page and use all these different techniques, yet they miss the vital connection that occurs somewhere between the eyes and the hand.  I DO like books like Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, because it teaches you how to SEE, not really how to draw, but how to record exactly what you see.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2007, 12:16:57 pm
I came across that book when I was researching art techniques. Thanks for the reviews; I've now ordered it from Amazon.