AuthorTopic: [Nude] my first post c+c  (Read 4973 times)

Offline asthymind

• View Profile

[Nude] my first post c+c

on: October 01, 2007, 03:42:57 am
Hello all
I'm new here though I have come across this forum before, I've only scanned through and admired the pixels.
I must say you guys and gals have some mad skillz. I like to entertain the idea that I too am an artist and have been dabbling in pixel pushing.
I've spent much of this day working on a piece that I would like some feedback on. It's still a work in progress but I think there is enough here to
get some c+c. anyway. here she is...

also i'm not the most forum savvy (so please bare with me if i make a mistake) but you all obviously know what your doing and i would like some advice.
thanks...

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [Nude] my first post c+c

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:56:36 am
Just one question, are you using reference? Now on to crits, hair looks a bit pillow shadish(And to be honest, the read just doesn't feel like it fits in there), lines could use some cleaning, maybe some more contrast, are you going for that statue look(If thats a skin color, might wanna work on that)?

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:09:45 am
Gots ta' say, either you got great anatomy knowledge, or you were quite heavy with reference likeness.
I felt it was kinda cold colored, but that might be purposeful.
Mine:

Yours:

All of the ACTUAL editting was done on the hair. I made it look more like dread locks and changed the  lightsource to math... most of the picture.
You really don't need outlines on a lot of the hair-skin transition.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline asthymind

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 08:41:57 am
I used a couple of photos for reference, one for anatomy and one for the head and hair.
The skin tone was intentional. (desiring a classical look, happen to have recently seen a Michealangelo documentary and i guess subconsciously envisioning his sculptures)
HOWEVER.. I like very much what Sherman Gill has done with this, and I definitely think the hair is much improved.
Thanks for the comments and good advice!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:37:56 am
classicist* skin tones are far from dead!  go see one in person - the camera cannot capture it properly (and potentially, neither can pixels.)  It's created by a number of layers and interplay of light, dark, warm, cool, hard, soft, glossy, and dull, to create skin that glows like a real person without using neons like sherm's (although nothing against neons - i do like the edit).

since pixels are opaque you will have your work cut out for you trying to make it glow like the masters' oils, though i suppose compared to tempera it's about the same (though tempera usually relies on bold colors the way sherm's does).

*classicist and neo-classicist refer to the renaissance styles that idolized classical works.  classical refers to ancient greece and rome, and their statues were either painted bright orange and yellow for skin, or left the natural stone color.  Michelangelo was not a classical painter, he was a renaissance classicist.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 11:56:03 am
It looks pretty good to me already, however:

-I think you could do some sel-outing to the outline.
-Her right hand seems a big manish and big compared to the other hand.
-There are some parts that could use some AA, like the forehead, knee to foot, and the back arm.

And I think if you're going to dither it, you might want either another middle tone so it blends more with the shadow tones... Or, you could see how it looks without dithering. Right now, it has a kind of rough in texture because of the contrast the dark shade you're using for most of the shadow. (IE, the peach and gray tones). I think you can pull off a nice smooth look with the dithering, but you'll need to adjust your contrast and maybe hues to do so.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 04:39:55 pm
Hello. Could you please post these pictures you used as reference?

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 06:46:20 pm
Funny, I actually recognise the pic.

Ref'd, but not traced.

Hong Ly's Photosets (set 004)
The above is a great site for figure reference. Lots and lots of posed photos, nude and clothed.

Offline asthymind

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 08:35:06 pm
Wow good eye Lotekk that is one of the pics.
My definition of classical is very ignorant. I should study up on art history I guess before just throwing words about.
Due to my location I don't have access to actually seeing any classical or renaissance pieces except through pictures.
Woe is me. :'(
The right hand bothers me too, I agree its a bit manish.
I am fairly new to pixel art, I have only done a handful of pieces and most of them are at Pixel Joint of which most of them are 'Wees'.
Time is very constraining and this art form, which is very underrated, is very time consuming but lots of fun.
I am pleased with everyones advice and history lessons and interest and well just looking and commenting, very cool (art has always been
a personal thing to me and its cool to share it with people that are so willing to share their knowledge and expertise)

By the way I use Gimp and I don't understand how to do transparent animations, the previous layers remain in the background as the animation progresses.
What am I not getting?
Thanks!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 12:36:41 am
By the way I use Gimp and I don't understand how to do transparent animations, the previous layers remain in the background as the animation progresses.
What am I not getting?
Thanks!
I don't know the specifics for the GIMP, but that's a lack of Frame Disposal.
You need to find the option somewhere, and change it from "No Frame Disposal" to "Previous"
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)