AuthorTopic: An idea... community project? (pixels of doom)  (Read 2518 times)

yosh64

An idea... community project? (pixels of doom)

on: September 30, 2007, 03:04:38 am
hey

I was just playing Final Doom, and was thinking how nice it was to go back to the basics of gameplay, and graphics. Well I find it more fun than that of Halo 3, which I played just the other day.

I dunno exactly, but I think because everything is so basic, it's easy to make things fun.  Anyhows there is something here that isn't in games now days :), I dunno.

I actually really liked Doom 64 back in the day, and it might be interesting to look into the making of it's graphics, which I think were very nice. Hmm, I might send an email off to the folks who worked on the Doom64 TC project, as I think they might know alot about all of this.

Anyhows I thought it might be a nice idea for a community project or something. Although it may sound nice, it might be stupid, as the amount of work it'd take is quite a task. But I thought I would put the idea out there regardless.

edit
Just dug up an interview with the map designers/editors of Doom64. Seems quite interesting, but it has nothing about the making of the graphics :\.

cyas
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 04:56:49 am by yosh64 »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: An idea... community project? (pixels of doom)

Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:49:47 am
I think this is a pretty cool idea...I'd contribute what little I could--I mean,even if there was just a old-school first person shooter "mock-up frenzy" thing one week, it would be pretty fun.  But I think the major thing is the programming.  I know there's a plethora of programmers around the boards, but I think it will be rare to find someone willing to shred a bunch up time coding a fps just for the fun of it....however, there may be a freeware engine of sorts that might suit the needs perfectly--its just a matter of looking for it I guess. 

Yeah though, actually really sounds like fun   :):y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

yosh64

Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 05:11:26 am
hey

I was just looking at the credits of Doom64 after coming across them at mobygames. Anyhows I noticed they had someone doing 3d models, who also worked with someone else on 3d model animations, which makes me wonder how much of the artwork was made in 3d.

Hmm, I do think the games sprites have a 3d rendered look to them, what do yas think? Anyhows I myself seem to prefer them over those of the original Doom.

cyas
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:27:33 am by yosh64 »

yosh64

Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 05:34:58 am
hey

Yea a mockup thingy would be cool for something short and non-continuous todo, maybe you could take a screenshot of a map in game, and then add ya own sprite or something?

cyas