AuthorTopic: (WIP) Man with pen  (Read 4331 times)

Offline XaMMaX

• View Profile

(WIP) Man with pen

on: September 29, 2007, 08:12:33 pm
Need some advice:
1)About hand
2)About how face can be in this image
3)Shading...

Offline sam-uk

• lol, internet.
    • View Profile

Re: (WIP) Man with pen

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 08:57:33 pm
Now although I'm no expert I thought I'd introduce a few ideas that may help you. I always find that my own hands act as a good enough reference when it comes to illustrating them so I simply picked up a pen and stared at how my hand held it and then drew it. For the facial placement, although I'm probably quite off I began by drawing two draft circles along with the eyebrows, nose and mouth until I had something that resembled a face and added a few small details on top of them.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:32:04 pm
sam-uk, that would be a good edit if you would have drawn off the correct hand.  You used your left hand for reference I'm guessing, when the hand under examination is the figure's right hand, so it looks very bad.  A simple mistake, I guess.  ;)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline sam-uk

• lol, internet.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 09:39:34 pm
Aha.... well I think it's about time I thank the horizontal flip  :'(

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 10:51:38 pm
Need some advice:
1)About hand
2)About how face can be in this image
3)Shading...

Well, I would start with getting some better contrast in the colors... maybe make some of them more saturated too, like the hair for example.

But I also think you need a solid light source. Right now, it SEEMS like the light should be coming to the right and somewhat behind him. (Based on how the arm is shaded. But then, the head doesn't fallow the same light sourced as the arm. I suppose it could be coming from the left behind him a bit, but then his chest needs to be darker too. So, you should pick where the light is coming from.

It also seems to me that his head isn't in proportion with his ears... those ears are somewhat small and up too high.

I just googled for this real quick, and the image quality is terrible, and it's a woman, but it should still help:

I'm sure someone will come along and do a neat sketch to better show these points, if this doesn't do it. But you can at least use this to get a good feel to where to put the features.

Now looking at the hand, I'd say you intend that he should hold the pen, as if he were to write with it, right? So, holding it up like Sam-uk suggested probably isn't what you hand in mind. Personally, I've always found that pose for the hand is a pain in the ass to draw or pixel, but here's a decent reference for you:

Given the angle, you might want to move his arm down... but you could flip around that ref and see if it helps some. And I think before you go in and add nails, which can also make it look odd if you don't do it right, you should get the hand down. I'd avoid using pink for for the nails though, since it seems to girly. You'll probably want to use the skin tones to show them very subtly.

Good Luck! :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:53:27 pm by Blackbeltdude »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 11:57:22 pm
i believe there is a thread here where pen holding was discussed, and there were at nearly a dozen variations.

first is tight - for drafting (palm and page perpendicular to each other) - second and third are tight - for drawing (which is palm out for sweeps, palm perpendicular for details, palm to page for lines)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:00:08 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 09:37:59 pm

A challenger appears:

This edit made me realise two things:
His head is a bit small
The shirt makes him look like he's from a star trek convention

The best thing I can suggest for the head here is, study(i.e. draw) them more.