AuthorTopic: [NUDE] Help with anatomy?  (Read 16393 times)

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Re: [NUDE] Help with anatomy?

Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 06:26:11 pm
Hmm... I dunno, Adam. The girl that I'm spriting is definitely younger than that woman you posted. And as was mentioned before, the breasts should act differently according to age. But, I'll do a real quick edit to what I was about to post, and post both of them:

Here's what I was about to post. It's basically just more dynamic shading I guess... more maybe better use of shadows?

And here's the boobs hanging a bit more.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 07:05:01 pm
Hello. You're fighting critique. Here is more:

*The breasts are not affected by gravity. They look like a breast-prop.
*Her posture is very strained (yes I laid down on the floor and checked, don't ask me to post a picture topless), I'd say impossible. More of her waist and chest should be touching the ground. Right now her elbow is taking ALL HER WEIGHT on it. Not good.
*The hand that is on the thigh, it's at an impossible angle, seems to suggest a super-long upper and lower arm.
*She has no chin, the neck goes straight to the anime face. I suspect this is a problem in reconcyling a mostly realistic head position with anime-ness. My advice: ditch the anime, or simplify the head position.
*More on the anime face: quite malformed head, unclear what is where and why, a collection of symbols that say 'face' but not a real face.
*Shins way too long.
*Feet completely invented, like you said 'alright, I'll just put blobs there instead of feet'
*segue from chest to pelvis is abrupt and a bit odd. Women have a waist, and it 'breaks' there at such a position, the chest folding on to the soft skin of the waist, at a more drastic angle, and accentuating the curve of the thigh. Right now you have a very stiff, unrealistic straight pelvis-belly and then a ~30 degree rotated chest put on top of it.
*That dark form of pixels under the highlight on the thigh doesn't signify a fold that is realistic.
*Working on a white background = bad
*Selout on back leg = probably bad, but I'll wait until I see it on a non-white background.

You say we can't edit, I won't edit.  :o

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 07:42:31 pm
can we not just scribble over the top of it?

Helm's picked up on most points... as individual parts taken out of context most parts (except feet and the face) kind of work... but there's some serious breast issues, and a distinct lack of rib cage...

If we can't edit... then humour me.... try this...

Use your cutting tool and cutout the section of upper body that includes:

- the breasts (and shadow)
  - the left shoulder and upper arm
  -  the head neck and other arm (leaning)

Once you've got this as a brush, slide it left about 8 or 9 pixels... then stamp it down around there... I think that's about the length of lower ribs you're missing...

The left breast the upper one, it's almost touching the naval... and that ain't right...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 08:43:00 pm
Helm: I'm not trying to fight critique, I think I'm just not getting how gravity should effect the boobs.

Thanks for all the crit though! I tried to address it all. Though, I don't really understand why working on a while background is bad. I suppose it could skew how some of your colors look, but other than that I don't see the harm, so why is it bad?

Anyhow, since you mentioned it, I put it on a dark blue this time.

And I was about to post what I had, then baccaman posted. :P

baccaman: I suppose you could scribble... like some thing very rough. The thing that I don't want to happen is that someone edits it, and makes it pixel perfect. Then when I change it to match, it's pretty much like I didn't do that part, and someone else did.

I thought 8 was a lot, so I moved it Seven pixels over instead. But in doing so, I definitely got more of a feeling that she's got a body, so thanks! :)

The top one is what I did fallowing what Helm said, but looking more at Adam's link.

The middle one is what I did fallowing what Helm said, while trying to keep Naas's link in mind.

The bottom is what I did fallowing what Helm and Baccaman said, using Adam's link. (As I'm thinking that's what you guys might mean).

I left the hand off the bottom one because I was in a bit of a rush to post it before someone else had something to say. (That way you could crit the new sprite, and not the old one). I'm still gonna add it though.

C+C?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:45:16 pm by Blackbeltdude »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 08:58:31 pm
As far as editing goes, I think you need to learn to distance yourself from your art more and not see it as a violation of yourself when someone edits your stuff to help you.

If you allow people to edit you will gain way more from it than through discription.

You are fixing errrors and making new ones as you go, it's not really getting better.
I am kinda busy so that's it from me for now.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 09:11:44 pm
I suppose you could scribble... like some thing very rough. The thing that I don't want to happen is that someone edits it, and makes it pixel perfect. Then when I change it to match, it's pretty much like I didn't do that part, and someone else did.

That's pretty weak man.

You're really tying our hands if we cant even make genuine edits, and it's making the posts way too wordy and redundant. The end result is more important than how you got there. If you're so concerned about everything being 100% original from scratch, it sounds like you've got ego and/or self esteem issues, or something.

Look at the edits, take what you agree with, discard what you don't, add your own touch, and move on to the next piece!

I probably could have sugar coated that more, but really, I think posting this, asking for help on the anatomy, but having a "Hands of my pixels!" policy is seriously weak.

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 09:25:49 pm
Well, I was just saying if you could avoid it. I honestly posted that thinking the first post would be someone who edited it. Frankly, I don't know how this particular forum works. Looking around, it seems that there's a lot of editing that goes around. I think what ptoing said is right; I'll get more out of looking at edit rather than reading the words. I don't think I could claim I have an ego or self esteem issues. :P I'll let you do that if you want, but I don't see the harm in wanting to make the sprites by yourself. (Other than the fact that it's easier to learn visually).

But I'm not going to try to get in an argument here. I can tell that the majority of the spriters here like to edit sprites to give crits, because it's a lot easier than trying to word it. And, since I'm trying to learn here, I have to adapt. So, feel free and edit. :) I'll just take what I can learn, and apply it to a different sprite, and see what happens in the end. (End result is what matters, right?)

Anyhow, here's the hand on her hip:

C+C?

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 09:50:23 pm
That's the ticket...

it's definately getting there with that torso length... perhaps 8 or 9 pixels qwould have been too much but it was only going on guesswork...

Good to hear you've capitulated about edits... It can be harsh sometimes I know seeing your work manipulated by other people and I guess I can see your point about wanting to remake it but not achieve the same result etc etc. But in fairness we're all quite pro about how we do things here and it's in no way a personal criticism... You sound fairly open to change though which is excellent... I think you'll fit right in.

i'd have an edit now but unfortunatly I'm on my new pc and I've not installed any of my apps on here and I can't be bothered to go upstairs and boot up the old one... besides... it's late and there's an article on the TV about amatuer pron that me and missus want to watch... ( ;) )

It's certainly taking shape though...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 10:28:40 pm

Nonintrusive edit for the rescue. Keep in mind that I'm not an anatomy authority and my edit probably isn't much better than yours in the long run. Better off studying from life.

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 11:41:05 pm
Helm did a really great edit there, but I felt like I wanted to change a few things. Less muscle in arms (it's not as visible on girls), little more belly to go with those curves (we also tend to have less - at least visible - muscles here), and a slight edit of the breasts. I actually tried out the position myself (VERY uncomfortable for the hips, please give the poor girl some cushions to lie on).

Messed up the quality a bit when saving, whoops ^^;