AuthorTopic: [NUDE] Help with anatomy?  (Read 16392 times)

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

[NUDE] Help with anatomy?

on: September 27, 2007, 11:18:00 pm
Well, this is my first time posting here at Pixelation, and I've heard a lot of good things about it on PixelJoint. (Where some people might have seen me before). And to be honest, looking at some of you guys around here can be quite intimidating. :P That said, this should be an excellent place to get better at anatomy.

This is actually something that I made back at the beginning of the year, and have periodically been tweaking it. I want her features to be a bit exaggerated, but I want them to be accurate too... Also, if you can avoid it, I'd appreciate it if you could restrain from moving the pixels on this sprite while you give crits, because I'd like to do it myself. Otherwise, it's like I didn't make it myself... it's not a terribly big deal, but I'd like to move the pixels myself. :)

And really, my main concern is anatomy, but crits on colors and whatever else comes to mind are appreciated. :)

So, C+C?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [NUDE] Help with anatomy?

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:28:29 pm
hips down is massive compared to the upper body and that is creating most of the issues, other than that there's no sense of weight in the right hand and the breasts are rather strangely shaped.

i can edit but i suppose you'ld prefer i didnt so ill wait to see if you need a visual helper
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Rokuji

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:56:52 pm
Hips down is bigger, but it looks good. The upper body i think should be made larger and edited as Adrias mentioned, as it is significantly less good.

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 12:04:52 am
I'm not really sure what, "Hips down" means... but it sounds like you're saying the hips are too big, or that the upper body is too small. So, I made the hips smaller:

I also tried to tweak the boobs, but how exactly should they change? What shape should I aim to? (Please don't say boob-shaped. :P) I also moved the arm in, since I think that'll give it more weight... how can I give it more weight?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 01:28:45 am
quick sketch, im sure somone could pick this to pieces in terms of anatomy too (you may want to just ignore the right arm entirely), but i think it would be a step in the right direction to get the shapes better:

young, perky breasts (nearly all girls under 30) should be shaped like teacups regardless of size, and should generally form an equilateral triangle with the nipples and the pit of the throat (though motion and different poses can alter this of course).  For older women, they begin to collapse and loose roundness above the nipples as well as possibly sagging.

EDIT: you might want to ignore the sketch actually, it's really not very good.  prone poses are very difficult if you do not have a reference.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 01:31:23 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 01:37:47 am
Oh wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this! I'll edit the sprite right away. :)

EDIT:

Ok, I think the breasts look more natural now. I also reworked the hand a bit, and moved the right arm so it's more vertical. I also tilted the head up a bit, and changed her hair... I also adjusted the angle of her left arm, and made some subtle shading to the ribs. I think the body is also a bit closer to the ground.

How is it now?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 02:37:05 am by Blackbeltdude »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:20 am

young, perky breasts (nearly all girls under 30) should be shaped like teacups regardless of size, and should generally form an equilateral triangle with the nipples and the pit of the throat (though motion and different poses can alter this of course).  For older women, they begin to collapse and loose roundness above the nipples as well as possibly sagging.

By the way, there is now in existence a very scientific formula for creating perfect breasts. The Sun has an article with helpful illustrations about the 45/55 % rule. ;)

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 02:55:05 pm
EDIT:

Ok, I think the breasts look more natural now.
Before, both breast didn't seem to point down. Now the right breast is gravitationally correct but the left one got worse: it's almost aligned with the navel.

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 05:30:42 pm
Ah! Thanks for that great article, JJ Naas!

I moved the nipples, and flattened the stomach. I also moved the left breast to quest seeker's suggestion. I think it flows with gravity a little better now.

C+C?

EDIT: Fixed a dent in a boobie. :P

EDIT 2: Someone suggested I have them hang lower:

Is it better if they hang lower?

EDIT 3: Shaded the right side of her chest more:

Am I going in the right direction yet?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:53:58 pm by Blackbeltdude »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 06:06:22 pm
them's some fakies!!  Both breasts appear to have almost exactly the same shape, despite the fact that she is laying on her side; they should look VERY different...unless of course they are fake.

Here is one example of how the breasts hang different depending on torso orientation and shoulder position: http://www.oceania-ethnographica.com/polyl25.jpg

I would pay more attention to the curvature of the spine, orientation of the shoulders, and general weight of the body, i think Adarias's sketch accomplished all these things very nicely!