AuthorTopic: BioShock Bouncer Sprite  (Read 3077 times)

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

BioShock Bouncer Sprite

on: September 29, 2007, 07:49:18 am
Which didn't really come out as one.

I've been working on this over at the pixeljoint/forum, feeling i dont get enough comments (which i don't gahh :yell:), so here.

E: latest
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:36:26 am by leroy »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: BioShock Bouncer Sprite

Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 08:05:44 am
Hi leroy... good morning :)

I have to be honest with you - I don't really know this character very intimately... so as far as likeness from the game is concerend I can't comment on...

I'm assuming he has a left arm (right from our POV)? but heaven knows?

Crits then.

• pallette... needs some hue shifts really, that grey ramp is really quite bland, and the fauny/tan/brown ramp is really innocuous
  • contrast and tone... its currently quite flat... you're applying the same tonal variance across the whole piece making it rather flat, the far (only) arm in particular could be shaded in darker tones, as could the right (left from our POV) leg and boot...
  • Rim Lighting... have a look at my avatar for various examples of rim lighting... there's a couple of approaches in there that may help if you study it.
  • Generally...I was under the impression that this character kind looked like a guy in one of those old school diving suits? If that's the case then I'm not seeing any heavyness or that kind of brass fixtures... his helmet for example?? again... don't know the character so may be way off here.
  • Asthetics personally I'd slightly shift the view angle a little up... so you're not looking quite so side on... this way you can offset the feet (the further one higher than the nearer one) and give them a little more form, rather than cutting them flat... tis up to you though...
I haven't got access to my gfx editor atm so can't go into anymore detailed specifics... or any edited examples... I don't know what your color count is, or how you've spread your pallete and stuff like that...

Quite like the toon feel it's got atm though...

good stuff... :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:07:58 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Re: BioShock Bouncer Sprite

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 09:27:59 am
Thanks for the long post. :P I tried to fix the little I understood from there, and threw in a background too.

Whopping 37 colors here, i know its wayy-y too much.
Oh and the arm has been blown off by whatever you like. :}
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 10:38:36 am by leroy »