AuthorTopic: I need some criticizing!  (Read 10271 times)

Offline Bloodblade

• View Profile

Re: I need some criticizing!

Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 09:09:58 pm
thanks,but I AM going bit-by-bit!

I started asking about the trees,but you guys wen't on about my entire MAP!

And when I finished the high-detail parts,I shall show them!
The below statement is false.

The above statement is true.

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 10:31:57 pm
lol... fairdoos... may I suggest you refrain from any more updates until you do have an example of said transitions? It may help 'us lot*' get a better handle on what you're attempting to achieve...

*we can be quite tenacious can't we? ;)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 11:19:42 pm
thanks,but I AM going bit-by-bit!

I started asking about the trees,but you guys wen't on about my entire MAP!

And when I finished the high-detail parts,I shall show them!

You will never be able to tell us what we should and shouldn't criticize. Sorry.

If we criticize things you haven't asked for critique on, that means something. In this case it mostly means that most people here cannot give good critique on the trees and detail because they think that the piece as a whole, colors, idea, etc., needs to improve before it is necessary to address detail work.

Like this, if I don't like the burning colors (which is true, I don't.), why would I criticize the tree? If I made a nice-looking tree with those saturated colors, would I be happy with the end result? No.

Which is why I, if I would give critique, simply wouldn't be able to disregard the colors.

So please, please, listen to what we have to say. If you disagree completely, then so be it. You're the master of your own art, and you may make it as you wish.

If we seem like tenacious bastards to you, it's only because we want to see you improve.

And of course you may go bit-by-bit, but get the fundamental bits down first of all, ok? Color, general shapes, etc.

Oh well, enough ranting. You know that I have only love and man-hugs for you, so don't pout :]
' _ '

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 11:43:59 pm
I agree with what's been said here...

But even if you want this to be really simple, there's still a basic look things should have.

Trees can be amazing looking in games, especially with simple designs. Just look at The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap. Those trees are quite simple, but very stylized and show a lot of depth. That's partly because those trees in the game demonstrate some pixel basics if I recall. Most notably Anti-alising (I hope I spelled it right), and selective outlining. Those alone will help with the shape to give some illusion of depth. Another part is shading. And I know you said you want it simple, but these aren't too stylistic. Just showing an indication of bark would be helpful. The leaves are another matter. You've got a chunk of green on a chunk of brown, which doesn't really make a tree. It's more like a cylinder with some balls on top. (If you look at Mario 64's trees, you'll get a great idea of something simple, stylish, and attractive).

While I think the other things could be improved, water, grass, rocks, log, flowers... I think the trees are the most important. (Though, the grass could be even more important). But grass is a pain in the butt to do. I've found several grass tiles that tile together help... it's possible you could get away with flat green, and a few patches of different grass tiles. Same for the water. That's the only way I can think of keeping it simple, and attractive.

Really, I think what would really help is posting the character that walks around this place.

Offline philjones

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 01, 2007, 04:09:50 am

Simple and effective.  And I think it's happy.  The trees may be a bit more complex than you're going for.  They're also at an utterly foolish angle, now that I look at it.  Mario 64-like trees, as Blackbeltdude mentioned, would be an excellent approach.

[edit]

Just Googled "mario 64 trees".
[/edit]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 05:01:46 am by philjones »