AuthorTopic: I need some criticizing!  (Read 10274 times)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: I need some criticizing!

Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 02:50:29 am
I wouldn't encourage you to do detailed, realistic, dull stuff. All those criticisms are valid, whether it's bright and cartoony or not. I'll see if I can put together an edit to show you what I mean.

edit:

I planned to include a new grass tile as well, but I haven't made one before, and what I came up with wasn't especially helpful. 'Use duller colours' doesn't necessarily mean 'make it dark and grey', it means 'pick colours that aren't so hard to look at'.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 04:50:47 am by tocky »

Offline Bloodblade

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 09:15:27 pm
There is a tile size restriction of 32x32 (or something like that) also a "walkabout" size limit of 32x32 (that would be the pumpkin)

The log had water brushing against it,not a shadow (it has animation in-game)

But I do see what you mean by using darker colors and such,but your remake isn't so cheery! (my original has animation,and sound,making for an overal cheery scene!)

I'm not worried about my map anyway,I just need to know if the trees look good,and blend in!

but thanks,anyway! =)
The below statement is false.

The above statement is true.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:06:16 pm
You should be worried about the map.  Take criticism, don't ignore it.  Your colors are way too saturated, and there is absolutely no hue shifting.  Cartoony/cheery or not, you could do with more detail, right now there is next to none.  The trees have a strange triangular shape to their trunk, way too fat at the bottom  And atop that is a ball of green, without an interesting shape or regard given to branches, which you should at least allude to.  More depth on the foliage would also be nice.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 11:02:48 pm
But I do see what you mean by using darker colors and such,but your remake isn't so cheery!

I did this by choosing other colors in the 256 palette (I did not alter the palette in any way).

I'm not claiming this to be the best way to reduce saturation or make a cheery scene, but I just want to show that it can be done without using MS Paint-like colors.  I do want to note that the colors I chose are actually much brighter, yet much easier to look at.

I probably should have changed that rock thing, since it stands out now (I didn't think of it.)  Oh well.  Just use lighter greys since they have absolutely no saturation whatsoever.

Don't just use these tiles and call it done, though, Bloodblade.  Actually make an effort to improve them as well as making better color choices.

EDIT: Edited some of my post.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:23:15 am by KittenMaster »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 11:19:44 pm
i feel like my retinas are about to commit suicide...

i suggest reading tsugumos tutorial...

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:19:31 am
The trees don't look so good. They're blobby and very clearly mirrored. They don't look much like trees. They do blend in, but only in that they look about as good as everything else.

A lot of this stuff is pretty hard to read, like the bridge, which, considering its zigzagginess and the size of the trees, doesn't read like a log. It's all clear enough that you could play the game without any trouble, but if you want people to think that the graphics look nice, which I'm assuming is why you're asking for criticisms on a pixel art forum, you'll have to do better.

The colours and the patterns (both on the grass tile and the pumpkin) are the most glaringly wrong stuff, and if you redid everything else perfectly, it'd still hurt to look at those.

Look at, say, Kenneth Fejer's stuff, or Jericho's, for instances of what i'm trying to get at. Bright graphics shouldn't need to be painful.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 04:43:48 pm
I'll agree with the Kenneth Fejer recommendation; he has about the cheeriest mockups I've seen.  He also has a style that is similar to what you seem to be aiming for.  Simple flat-shaded graphics, bright colors, cheery atmosphere, etc.  However, he does not use colors that are uncomfortable to look at.  Nor do his forms look like paper cut-outs pasted onto tiles.  He creates volume and form with a very clean, simple style.  Good luck with your game, and I hope to see some improvement soon!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Bloodblade

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 09:45:57 pm
my trees and contrast suck,so I asked for some criticizing,and thanks for what I DID get on the trees and contrast flow,I will make the colors less intense on your eyes,and try to add some variety to my trees,but lack of detail is purposeful!

The game goes from extremely low detail,to exetrmemly high detail,as the player progresses.

And sorry,the maptile size is 20x20 (to those who cared)

I also plan on enhancing the log (it's ugly,and I can't stand it)

But remember,please... I'm far from an expert (though when I have tried (hard enough) I have made some pretty good stuff)
so don't expect my next update to be astonishing!

The below statement is false.

The above statement is true.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 08:01:12 pm
Do not worry, my friend, we do not expect a complete artist metamorphosis over the course of a few edits.

We do, though, expect that you try to listen to what we say and put it into use.

I am definately not saying that you do not do that right now, though, I'm just clarifying :]

Looking forward to the next update. I really like the happy-simplistic kind of look in games like this and will gladly try and help you achieve it.
' _ '

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 08:45:24 pm
Jad is absolutley right bloodblade 100%.

Reading between the lines and based on how you've described your restrictions - "20x20 tiles (to those who cared)", " 32x32's (or sumthing like that)" makes me think that you've not got a realistic handle of what it is you're attempting to do. Coupled with the fact that what I'm looking at is what i'd refer to as "Naive" art... (sky is blue, grass is green, tree trunks are brown, rock is grey, &t &t) and the fact you've said yourself you're no expert... now some of us around here are quite adept at pushing pixels and equally adept at criticizing and commenting on each others work... this is how we roll... this is how we learn... this is how we grow as artists... or should I say, this is how we SHOULD grow as artists.

Learning to take criticism and apply it accordingly is part of that learning curve and shows true proffesionalism when one can take it without feeling the need to react negatively. It's a bitter pill that one must learn to enjoy if one wants to improve.

You've taken steps already on this path of artistic enlightenment by criticising your own work... your trees don't suck... it could be a stylistic choice... don't be too hard on yourself... but if they don't measure up to your expectations of what's in you mindseye then do it again, until it's right, and study other peoples work to get inspiration... I know its corny but its so true that learning comes from mistakes...

But enough of that... on to the piece in question.

I for one am a little perturbed by the notion that the game goes from extremely low detail to extremely high... speaking with my producer hat on I'd have to ask you, if this is your example of extremely low detail then please illustrate extremely high, then one can make an assessment of the range of difference between the two extremes and perhaps, in context, be able to C&C a little more accurately.

If I were you I'd start like this, rather than trying to tackle too much at once... just focus on a couple of elements at first, say the rock and tree... and do a few iterations of them using this lo detail through to high detail idea.

I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com