AuthorTopic: [WIP] Carmine (Gears of War)  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

[WIP] Carmine (Gears of War)

on: September 22, 2007, 09:37:48 am

So yeah, this guy is awesome. He gets his head blown off because a bad reload. But when he comes back for my headshots in online multiplayer, he is everyone's favourite.

Think of just doing a torso shot. I've only got his helmet done at the moment. Proud of it actually!

Any C+C along the way would be awesome.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Carmine (Gears of War)

Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 09:37:14 pm
I don't really think there was a reason to include giant images of carmine to show that you referenced him, the sprite you made is the smallest thing on there.

Anyway I made a small edit:

Needed more contrast, you seem to think that that 'nose' part sticking out is actually blue, when it's just the light source, ambient lighting, etc.

Offline philjones

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 05:18:12 pm
The glasses or shades or whatever are also just reflecting the source light.  The first picture shows his glasses reflecting the surrounding warm yellow.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 06:35:18 pm
Ah, but the smaller reference has blue glasses and the light source is more like sunlight than anything else.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline philjones

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 07:17:18 pm
Natural light from the left, blue light from the right.

I think the neck should be a pixel shorter and a pixel or two wider on each side.  In the reference images his neck is like a tree trunk.

The helmet should also extend further down on the jaw, making the bottom straighter across, and not a gradual upward curve.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 10:23:54 pm
Nah, the eyes and forehead thing are actually shiny blue, just like the stripes on the shoulders. Dark and gritty games need characters with lights all over them to make them playable.

There's also the shiny little thing on the side of the head, which you should totally try to fit into your version. Asymmetry in design is something I find important to keep even if you're not being completely accurate.

I don't think you should worry about the neck, either. Decide whether you want just a helmet or a full torso shot. In the former case, you don't need to show the neck at all, I reckon, and if you're going for a torso there's a big chance the neck will be concealed by the shadow of the helmet, or the helmet itself, depending on the angle.

Offline philjones

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 11:20:35 pm
I stand corrected, then.