AuthorTopic: 8-bit chibi-beat em up a la River City Ransom [WiP]  (Read 2988 times)

Offline BG

• View Profile

8-bit chibi-beat em up a la River City Ransom [WiP]

on: October 29, 2007, 02:04:51 am
I've started working on a cute fighting game with a look of Street Gangs aka Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari aka River City Ransom. The main idea was to do a beat em up and keep the graphics within the limits of the nes. I found a palette on google that is suposed to be the color palette of a nes but I'm not totally sure. I'm not all clear when it comes to color limitations per sprite and tile so I kept it to a maximum of 4 so far. tried wikipedia but I didn't get it. If anyone can fill me in, I'd apreciate it. There's also a chance I might simply go for the nes palette and stop caring about the rest, depending on the limitations.

Anyway, you play as a typical japanese punk from the early 90s, and you beat the crap out of pretty much every living thing you see (mostly other punks). You're suposed to play as one of 3 characters. Blue, the all around fighter, Red the speedy but kind of weak one, and Green, the slow tank.

This is Blue, in case you didn't notice. Red and Green are VERY WiP.

The tiles I've done so far.

C+C apreciated

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: 8-bit chibi-beat em up a la River City Ransom [WiP]

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 10:27:59 pm
On the NES you can have 4 palettes for sprites and 4 for tiles. Each palette in effect has 4 colours, where the sprite ones have 1 reserved for transparency and the tile ones share one global background colour.

Also to note it that while tiles are 8x8 pixels, colourinformation is stored in blocks of 2x2 tiles. Meaning that a 16x16 pixelblock would have one palette.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.