AuthorTopic: Recent work[pixeldump]  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Recent work[pixeldump]

on: September 19, 2007, 03:22:08 am
Been coming back to post a little more, havn't been here in a while.

An animation of quagsire(pokemon). They love to bounce round things around. Went for a wet-ish look.

A lineart I made, which I proceded to change into a fat metroid(in which I like the jelly look alot), and a hatsucker(hat with fangs).

I experimented with a charcoal/sketchy shading still life piece. Wanted it simple. Originally was gonna be a PJ av, and I havn't taken the name off.

A jelly-skull made out of TheMercFCS's lineart(got it on Pixeltendo). Jelly is fun.

An experiment. I made a little alien, then doublesized it, cleaned it up, and added a little more definition. It looked like I wanted it too.

Ego(my character/self) sleeping. Still my PJ avatar. Grayscale makes my self-pixels look better.

Never finished, and it's a little busy and quite random, but it was okay in my eyes at this point. Got bored of it.

Yet ANOTHER coloring of Badassbill's dragon lineart. I REALLY like that orb above his head.

Another animation. A robed being pulling a knife out of his robes and swinging it. Working on fluidity. One of the older pieces.

A very recent coloring of Adarias' pirate warrior. I'm still working on a skin tone, so this is a placeholder skincolor.

Done at the same time as the pirate warrior, Arachne's beast lineart colored. That first spine has a huge shadow, I know. Big focus was muscle shading.

The first mockup frenzy piece. A quiz game. Tap to make the selector go down, hold 3 seconds or wait for time to run out to choose. Tried to be quite simple.

The third mockup frenzy piece. Started off as elebits, but started to stray. I still like it kind of.

Working on this for almnost a week. The bot was originally organic. Left one has a brushed background, right is all pixel. Cuz its a mockup, I figured I could use a little partial transparency. I still have all the parts un-partial transparencied except the crystals is the top left(but the crystals aren't covered and behind it is tiled). Now, you have to shoot between the frontal shields 10 times(they switch order every time) while still dodging his shots. Then, the brain shield breaks down and you have to hit it. When the brain shield goes down, the gun at the bottom goes into overdrive.
Mechanically, this game is very much like metroid fusion(was playing Prime 3 alot this week, so it's bound to happen). The twist is that every shot takes a sliver of the yellow bar at the bottom. After you havn't shot for one second, the bar starts to recharge. This stops most fire button mashing. When he's beaten, you can jump on and over him to the barrier bar, which unlocks with one shot. The good on the HUD means you have decent health, and Boss means that you're fighting a boss(duh).

I'll probably try to make another screenshot of this, because this was really fun to make.

Crits on the pixels everywhere, but mostly on the last mockup. I'd also like a bit of crit on game design(but this might not be the place to ask for that).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 03:23:48 am by Ego »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: Recent work[pixeldump]

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:20:28 pm
Your biggest problem is volume. Your pieces seem very flat. When you shade something, the angle of the surface decides how much light is reflected from it. If it faces the light source, it's bright, and if it faces away, it's dark.

This edit should illustrate what I mean. I added some reflected light to show forms in the darkest parts. Also, instead of putting every color in the ramp between the lines in the brightest areas, just brighten the outline instead.

Your color count in that mockup is atrocious. 506 colors was it? This edit uses 42.

Edit: Why does the transparent version use 138 colors while the other uses 506? The background only has 20 colors in it as far as I can tell. ???

The brain and shield seem flat. Try to make the shield seem a bit more translucent and reflective and the colors a bit more vibrant. I also edited the shield bits in front to make them look less static.

I edited one of the pillars to make it seem more metallic and less flat.

The glowing bugs should be brighter if the entire bug emits light.

Your tiles also seem flat. Try not to use highlights in every part of it, but try to keep the highlights near the top and use more dark shades near the bottom.

I moved the boss alert away from the health meter since I didn't feel it fit in with the player status. I also enlarged the health meter and removed the text since it seemed a bit redundant since you can use both color and size to show it instead. Is that some kind of radar screen next to it?

The player could also use a bit of work. His arms are too long, and his torso is too thin. He's leaning forward a bit too much in my edit, though. You should also show his gun.

Hope that helps. :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:02:13 pm by Arachne »

Offline Ego

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:16:47 pm
Thank you. I've always had a bit of a problem with volume.

The creature(your creature) is problematic, and I'll try to fix that.

Partial transparency and a brushed bg caused large color counts. Paryial transp[arency probably tripled the color count and the brushed background is a huge number, even though it doesn't look like it.

The brain I know I can go fix. The sjield I wanted very faint, and I didn't really show shape, it was just a protective field I used to show that it was covered. I'll try to do something a little closer to yours.

I don't have a very large experience with metal, so I didn't really know how to make it more voluminious.

I struggled with the bug colors, couldn't get what I wanted.

I made two tiles and repeated them over and over in varying rotations. I' had been thinking of making more, and now I guess I will.

When I was thinking of health, my thoughts were more turned on a Super mario 64 type thing, with the circle that loses pieces. I agree I should move the boss alert though. The HUD was a last minute thing because I had forgotten and wanted to show the piece. I'm going back to completely redo it.

I had samus and Galactic Federation troopers in mind when I made the player. Like the arm cannon/gun the covers the back of your hand.

It does help, thank you :). I shall go start the edits.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 10:50:47 pm by Ego »

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 07:27:54 am
I really like the first animation of the little blue pokemon based creature. I think that your coloring methods are pretty cool any way keep it up. :y: