AuthorTopic: Chinese Mountain WIP  (Read 7281 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Chinese Mountain WIP

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:25:07 pm
If you wanna make it classic japanese/chinese looking you should deffo go for clouds. The clouds also give the scene a better sense of scale. Those birds look MASSIVE.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Re: Chinese Mountain WIP

Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 02:31:52 pm
I still think the shadows on the mountains are too light. You've used 7 colours for the mountains but the brown/low sat brown ramp has 15 nicely spaced colours in it, some of which you are only using a few pixels elsewhere. Here's an edit (without altering the palette at all):

In the middle where the arrow is pointing, I've taken palette entries found in the yellow circles and used them to strengthen the mountain's shadows. In the circle on the left, you've used a grey in only 2 pixels! This is why I like mtPaint's palette feature because you can drag the entries around easily just by pressing shift, allowing you to optimise your colours easily. (There are also a few greens which are almost exactly the same by the way). If you slightly lower the saturation on the bridge's browns and alter their value so that they are spaced evenly within the main (15 colour) ramp, then they will look even better when you recycle them.

Also, where the '?' is, you've used a shade on one part of the mountain but not another.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:36:42 pm by Lawrence »