AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 298197 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #640 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:31 pm
Okay, I've been trying to figure out what the triangles do in Helm's avatar. :mean:
What I've got so far is that they're there to lead you to the eyes of the image, considering that edge directions on both sides of the picture lead to the eyes.
Anybody else got an idea?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #641 on: December 14, 2007, 08:50:24 pm
subconscious, I wasn't thinking of any theoretical thing when I made them, just tweaked until they were in a pleasing construction. Whatever you're trying to find is going to be new to me, on the conscious level.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #642 on: December 14, 2007, 09:46:31 pm
Aww, kinda dissapointing.
I stand by my eye theory, though! !yus!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #643 on: December 15, 2007, 02:43:32 am
I don't think the fact that it was subconscious should stop you from thinking about what they add to a piece, just because Helm didn't add them for any specific reason doesn't mean they don't do anything for the piece... brains are complicated, and often you will do things subconsciously for reasons you are not aware of... I find this happens to me in writing.

of course, that doesn't guarantee that they add something or that there is a tangible reason for it, but it still may prove worthwhile to think about regardless of the artist's intent

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #644 on: December 15, 2007, 04:37:10 am
That's what I mean. Find what you need to find, just don't necessarily say 'ooh what a clever Helm!' at the end of it, just say 'oh what complicated brains we all have'.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #645 on: December 15, 2007, 04:48:03 am
i dont know if i've said this before or if i even said the same thing, but looking now, the triangle pattern kills horizontal transfer within the piece and makes it very "architectural" in the sense that you can't move it.  that's the opinion of course of someone who likes overdone motion in all pieces, so take it or leave it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #646 on: December 15, 2007, 04:52:08 am
My compositional preferences are largely instinctual and not very good at that, and not informed of theories you might be taught to at school and therefore I cannot really see what you're talking about. I don't like overdone motion in all pieces personally, and most of my art feels pretty still therefore. Most of all, portraits, of course.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #647 on: December 15, 2007, 05:37:34 am
As long as we're analyzing... ;)

I think it's interesting what Helm did because the positive and negative space in the background both create arrows that fight against each other. This creates a very bizarre tension that constantly tugs the picture both left and right at the same time. You get the feeling that at any second the portrait is going to rip itself to pieces. The twitching animation only accentuates that. Now what would be really interesting is if Helm intended to create the feeling of tension but actually achieved the effect subconsciously.

[EDIT] The fun thing with recognizable shapes is that you get all the psychological baggage that comes with them. One of the few times I enjoyed myself in school is when we got to play with that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:46:43 am by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #648 on: December 15, 2007, 06:24:33 am
Not really disappointed that no conscious effort was involved, but it was a very basic response, and as my creative writing teacher once said: You know, deep down.

Anyway, on a different but still Helm related note,
I intended to submit this as a Secret Santa bonus gifto thing, but since he's not an entrant it doesn't really make sense, and this is as good of a place as any:

for helping me with my Secret Santa gift and being one of the most invaluable people on this board (and that's saying quite a lot!) :-*

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #649 on: December 15, 2007, 06:52:58 am
   When I first saw the triangle "wuv" in Helm's pieces, they didn't necessarily read much into my mind, other than "hmm, another triangle piece. This guy must like triangles or something...". And that was it. And I'll agree in that for some reason, all his pieces seem kind of static, even if they do depict some type of movement...even his animations as well, heh(not trying to be mean, mind you)
   I guess that's why I consider Miascugh his opposite, as Mia tends to leave some of his work untidy and unfinished, yet they seem so fluent, in the way he depicts them. Very curvy and such, which is "how I like em'."
  Ptoing is always humorous, though technically sound with his stuff.(not that I'm techinically sound)...

Ooh, and Bulought's pieces...(rant's on...)

So yeah, everyone has separate thoughts on what they see, so you know...(echo...)
my back hurts...