AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 299528 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #390 on: November 08, 2007, 11:21:32 am
hmm the dollar is going in downward spiral.. to those who are working as free lancers, have you thought of asking for more than you usually get paid in the future? or in a different currency like euros?

the thought had crossed my mind yes... :S
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #391 on: November 08, 2007, 01:50:18 pm
hmm the dollar is going in downward spiral.. to those who are working as free lancers, have you thought of asking for more than you usually get paid in the future? or in a different currency like euros?
Oh, I thought you worked in the Philippines.  ;D
So you get payed in dollars, but spend it in pesos?
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #392 on: November 08, 2007, 02:25:23 pm
Oh, I thought you worked in the Philippines.  ;D
So you get payed in dollars, but spend it in pesos?

Uhh yes of course. Hold your horses though, It's not that big.

But seriously, wth is really going on with the US? the country feels like it's going down the drain too ..and then I hear about a new currency like amero. This coming years sounds scary and you don't know what will happen next.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 02:27:57 pm by Froli »

Offline Jamie

• ^ needs updated ^
    • View Profile

Reply #393 on: November 08, 2007, 02:59:50 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Alex Henson-White the one who worked on Bobby Carrot? They look very similar to a mockup on his page, including the rocks and mushrooms.

I could be perfectly wrong though.

Very odd, i had a look on alex's site (http://www.finalredemption.com) and found his 'mag-man' game (which i assume is the one you refer to) and the rock's and one of the mushrooms are very similar indeed

I don't know if alex did the work for the game, but by looking at other work on his site i just can't see him using chaos engine tree's  :-\

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #394 on: November 08, 2007, 03:56:37 pm
As an American living in Dublin for the semester... I really feel the exchange rate  :'(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #395 on: November 08, 2007, 06:13:47 pm
euros.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #396 on: November 08, 2007, 06:17:07 pm
Thought Helm (and some others) would enjoy this:

Miyamoto:
Before this, when we were to decide on something I kept saying “It’s instinct”, so I’m actually surprised myself! (laughs) For example, everyone thinks of a cute, cuddly character when they’re asked to think of a character called Mario.

Iwata:
The types of cute characters that seem like they would be living in the Mario world.

Miyamoto:
Because they believe that the characters should be that way, they have a set image in their mind of things like how the eyes should always be wide open.
But I don’t really draw my characters with really big, wide-open eyes. And when a new staff, who had that misconception about the way Mario characters should be, would come up and show me some sketches saying “Look, I drew some Mario characters”, and they would look nothing like the Mario characters that I was thinking of. Lately, all the artists’ techniques have improved compared to the past, but their styles seem to look more and more uniformed.
There’s this pre-created template of a “well-drawn picture”, and it seems like the younger artists’ styles are forming to that template.

Iwata:
They have technique, but they lack character.

Reminds me of all of Helm's anti-anime rants. :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #397 on: November 08, 2007, 06:23:42 pm
Miyamoto might not draw mario that way but then again This is the modern interpretation of the character. If he doesn't like, he should stop it.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #398 on: November 09, 2007, 12:09:45 am
For everyone who has a Wii, on your remote does the FCC ID code on the side of the remote have the word "POO" in it? I only just discovered this on mine!  :lol:

dude, that is so strange, I was just checking that out yesterday! I was like, whoa, lololol, it says "POO"

also, I think only the remotes that came with the wii has that, since my other one doesn't and I got it as a standalone.  ???

Both of mine are blank
One came with the Wii
other was bought around boxing-day (probably on)
ordered my wii from nintendo
weird  ;D

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #399 on: November 09, 2007, 04:51:01 am
Anybody here played Psychonauts? I bought the Orange Box a little while ago and saw Psychonauts was available on Steam, too, so I also grabbed it.

Gotta say, it is the funnest game I have played in like 2-3 years. Big name attacked to it, Tim Schaefer, who worked on a bunch of the old Lucas Arts Adventure games like Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island series. It plays like a platformer with a dash of the old adventure games' fetchquests and humour. It takes place in a summer camp for psychics-in-training. Basically, weird stuff is happening and it's up to Raz[putin] to save the day. You'll do this by entering the minds of psychics and psychos as you acquire all kinds of of psychic powers. There's a lot of variety in the gameplay and platforming. I had a really great metroid/zelda moment when i unlocked one of the new psychic powers and found all kinds of new places to go. It's also the first game in a long time where I actually gave a damn for any of the characters. Amazingly for current standards, they had emotions other than outwardly projected bad-assness. Well, aside from in the slightly awkward intro movie

It cost me about $20 on Steam and took about 22 hours on the in-game clock to beat. Completely worth the money. There's a demo you can try on Steam, but I warn you that it doesn't even compare with the rest of the game. Seriously, it's like 1/100 of the creativity and genius of the rest.