AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 298418 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #320 on: October 24, 2007, 02:37:57 pm
how can you like art adams AND jrjr?  that boggles my mind...I mean i acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE to like them both but...i dunno i like the sympathy or understanding to truly comprehend it.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #321 on: October 24, 2007, 03:21:15 pm
Also, B.O.B.: Jim Lee cannot draw a pose that isn't wooden and completely gravity-less and fake. All his women have scholiosis, all his men two torsos. That's enough for me to call him bad.

Isn't that the case with majority of all-american-super-hero-comics? Everyone wants to be Rob Liefeld, even though Liefeld ain't something someone should want to be. All i see is western comic artists who copy from other western comic artists to create a vicious cycle where someone learns the errors from someone, adds in their own errors and then someone learns from his pile of error and adds their own aaaand so forth.

Also isn't that what the public is grown to expect from these guys? Someone does something different and it won't be held in such a high regard because it's not the "super-hero-style" I might be totally wrong since i haven't been following the business for a good while now.

I'd like someone to point me to an awesome western comic that isn't american super heroes or liefeld stuff, feels like even the new stuff is something i've read over ten years ago or worse yet, THEY ARE THE SAME EXACT PANELS as i've seen before.
http://blog.adlo.es/swipe_of_the_week/2007/09/

All the good stuff is hiding somewhere....
The stuff that's refreshing, like Valhalla by Peter Madsen (which has not been released in a language i know after year 96 or so)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #322 on: October 24, 2007, 07:41:44 pm
Isn't that the case with majority of all-american-super-hero-comics?

I don't know about the majority, I don't read many of them anymore.

If you want to read good western comics, then check out the names I posted before and follow their published work trails. And the american non-superhero stuff is currently rife with amazing artists. Try reading some Black Hole, Eightball, Adrian Tomine, Chris Ware, there's so much, there always was on the sidelines of the spandex superheroes...

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #323 on: October 24, 2007, 10:08:30 pm
Does anyone have any book suggestions (or advice) for drawing mechanical devices? It's one thing to draw from life and understand the shapes or physical patterns that animals generally take on from studying them, but mechanical things seem so much more complex, especially in the manner that they become different over time through discovery and innovation.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #324 on: October 24, 2007, 10:45:31 pm
@Khris: I haven't a clue

@everyone: Alright, tried signing into Photobucket, and it gave me some "forbidden" message with it not accepting my server or some poop like that. Just checked my thread, and found all my stuff el gone-o. Any one else here with a photobucket account have all their stuff disappear like Magik? ( I think Photobucket's stuff is down...would suck if whatever happened to them causes all user's albums stuff to be deleted. The Nerd Roar would be heard from the highest mountains!!)
my back hurts...

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #325 on: October 24, 2007, 11:34:44 pm
Khris, there's no difference between drawing a human, a lion, a car, or the innards of a pocket watch. It's all just a bunch of shapes and form. The only difference between drawing a organic and mechanical object is scale and amount of detail. As far as book recommendations, I've read and can recommend Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (a terse read, but very informative) and How to Draw What You See (focuses on building foundations with basic 3-dimensional shapes and refining the drawing in steps). The Natural Way to Draw is also recommended a lot but I found it to be filled with too much art-hippie poppycocks.

how can you like art adams AND jrjr?  that boggles my mind...I mean i acknowledge that it is POSSIBLE to like them both but...i dunno i like the sympathy or understanding to truly comprehend it.

Zen? I dunno. Sure some of his art has issues, but there's plenty to like about it as well. Same thing with Pat Lee, and yes, even Liefeld.

Oh and Happy Whateverth Birthday, Panda-san.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:38:58 pm by pkmays »

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Reply #326 on: October 24, 2007, 11:37:13 pm
Happy bday btw Panda... :)

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #327 on: October 24, 2007, 11:43:54 pm
pkmays: Let me clarify: I'm looking to find a good, practical method for understanding mechanics in order to not have to rely on reference after reference to properly draw a machine. At this point I'm fairly decent at drawing humans and possibly animals without reference, but that's not so with machines. I own "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and understand as well as embrace the concept, method, and all, but I figured there may be good books on the subject of drawing mechanics and perhaps quick 'rules of thumb' to go by for mechanics (in the same way human proportions can be remembered by head sizes and other relative lengths, and can more easily be studied through a specialized anatomy book than a general drawing book).

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #328 on: October 25, 2007, 12:16:18 am
Most How to Draw X books are aimed at beginners who can and really aren't that useful for more advanced study. Some good old elbow grease (practice) and a constant search for reference material are going to yield better results than any quick fix book.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #329 on: October 25, 2007, 12:31:05 am
I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'm looking for a book similar to my "Anatomy for the Artist" book if anything, which shows lots of detailed drawings of muscle groups, the range of motion of various parts, and etc. It's basically a nice collection of the important things to study instead of aimless google image searching, ya dig? Unfortunately, it seems like I'm just going to have to go with image search or whatever I can actually see in life until I can unearth such a book.