AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 298218 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #280 on: October 21, 2007, 12:35:21 am
Needs moar drama

SAGE FOR FAGGOTTRY

(I am joking here. :D Don't jump the gun and kill me for being totally unintelligible in the offtopic thread, guys :>)

Haha, by the way, not a chance in hell that Baccaman is angry about this, he's the chillest guy on the forum. :] And just because you live far away doesn't mean that your asshattery would be less asshattery, if it WAS, but srsly, I just saw an opinion, no real faggottry from your side :O
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:43:29 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #281 on: October 21, 2007, 01:33:13 am
   Just saw the Bionic Commando vid...for once I'll agree with the YouTube community, and say it just looks like the Spiderman game with guns...and a guy with dreads. Must be something I'm missing with all these new games, cause quite frankly, they still don't excite me as much. Even the new SF game, looks ok(I'm still holding my breath that it won't be 3d) isn't quite holding my interest. I guess it's the fact that companies aren't making anything groundbreaking. And if they are, it seems to come out more Gimmicky than initially thought. The Wii looked ok, but I think it's losing it's steam what with the Xbox juggernaut and it's current game lineup. I know I sound like a tired old frog here, but seriously, I wish they would stop focusing on making graphics so realistic and just go wacky with some ideas and designs. Oh well, at least I still got the Cinema and "the metalz" to keep me going...

p.s. speaking of metal, I've just gotten the cd, Indecent and Obscene(pieces), by Dismember, which only leaves one more Dismember cd before I can complete my evil collection: The classic "Like an Ever Flowing Stream"...The circle will be complete, muwahahhahahahahaaaaa!!
my back hurts...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #282 on: October 21, 2007, 04:05:52 am
i actually like the name theo  (short for -dore, or just by itself?)

the game does look like a spiderman game, butit'sbeen a LONG time since we've seen a good one of those, so im interested enough.

there are interesting and whacky games that have come out.  guitar hero took a risk, shadow of the colossus was amazing and katamari was crazy.  granted, those are a few years old, but.....well, the industry has dry spells.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #283 on: October 21, 2007, 04:14:00 am
I think you need to get into indie games then. Lots of creativity there. :y:

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #284 on: October 21, 2007, 05:01:07 am
I've been playing around with a copy of Vista I got for free because I'm working at a college in the technology department. The new Windows Photo Gallery application, which replaces the default picture viewer in XP, actually seems to work on pixel art. I think it checks to see if the image has a palette, and if it does it disables that horrible interpolation that blurs everything as you zoom in.

So far, it's the only improvement I've been able to find. :^))

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #285 on: October 21, 2007, 05:23:14 am
Well its better than my PC, thats for sure. I want to DESTROY THE THING WITH A HAMMER OVER AND OVER AND OVER. I mean seriously, I'll scan it with Spybot and start scanning, I'll leave the room for 5 minutes and I come back in and it's shut down(I've seen it happen a few times, it freezes and then shuts off), sometimes it'll just randomly shut down, I don't know if it's an overheating problem or what but it's really, really, really irritating. Hopefully I'll get a decent PC soon, that can actually play games decently as well. I hope some of you can understand where I'm coming from, that you too, have had a PC this terrible so you can understand(But if you've never had one like this, you are a lucky person).

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #286 on: October 21, 2007, 05:30:35 am
Bully: Hey look, it's little TV. What's the ABC movie of the week this time TV? I'll tell you what it is, it's me kicking the crap out of you. It's a rerun from last week.
*punch*
*kick*
*snicker snag*

Better name: Vincent Thunderhammer Storm
vinnie the kid who listens to power metal
yeah thats a great plan
it might be a one shot deal

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #287 on: October 21, 2007, 05:55:26 am
the mainstream industry IS doing good stuff if you actually look for it.  Portal is absolutely great, TF2 is so stylish it hurts, the DS is host to all sorts of weirdness (especially since it is region-free) not to mention classical badassness (like new contra), mario galaxy is coming very soon and looks to be a very healthy return to the cavalcade of awesome that was mario64...and I have very high hopes for Assassin's Creed, let me tell you.

And yea, I realize that that is a small percentage of the recent and upcoming releases, but is the percentage of cool new games really worse than it has been in the past? Old systems often seem like they had amazing games with mindblowing frequency, but we look back on their catalogs with a certain amount of time compression I think.

This is all anecdotal of course, and increasing budgets should mean that many publishers are less willing to take the big risks, much less ANY risks.  And yet...they do.  Portal was a pretty huge risk on Valve's part, Namco was (by industry terms) CRAZY to fund Katamari Damacy's development, and Nintendo was barking to even think about releasing the DS and the Wii, both roundly mocked by the media and most gamers for being preposterous.

So basically what I am trying to say in blurry, nebulous terms is that there IS good stuff out there, and not just in the indie scene (although that is fairly overflowing with love and greatness these days).  And try to remember how many F*ing terrible mario clones were released on the NES...

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #288 on: October 21, 2007, 06:20:22 am
Although I have been subject to bits of nostalgia and temporarily crotchety old man syndrome when it comes to my memories of the "Good Old Days of Gaming", thinking back, I've realized it's always been the same. For every great video game (and book, and movie, and comic book, and television show, and music album) that's ever come out, there's always been 19 other piles of crap released at the same time, since the begging of time.

Just constantly keep your eyes peeled and make sure you don't miss any of the good stuff before it slips through the cracks and is forgotten by mankind's collective consciousness.

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #289 on: October 21, 2007, 06:27:22 am
PSX/2 are the best systems ever put out for good game/bad game ratio
it might be a one shot deal