AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 298280 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #220 on: October 17, 2007, 07:07:35 pm
Yeah. The only thing bugging me is how he's using a lot of gradients and stuff.

I MEAN, if he went with pure pixel style and then fleshed it out in Trixel-3D, it'd look so AWESOME :O

I hope he does some NES-themed stage or something. That would own. Seriously.

Yaddayadda. He did not do any pixelart before afaik and he comes from more of a design background. I have to say how he did it even tho he uses shitloads of colours and gradients looks nice and consistent.

Whoops, it came off as though I didn't totally LOVE the art style :D

I mean, I love it, but it's still bugging me, because the clash between pure pixel and 3D could have been so cool and effective. The engine they're using basically SCREAMS for it since it's rendering square 3d pixel boxes instead of simulating pixel-y art and using bitmap textures.

The way he's doing it now is the best pixel-art-with-gradients-and-PS-polish I have EVER seen though :] So I have no problems at all with it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 10:50:39 pm by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #221 on: October 17, 2007, 10:18:51 pm
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26535.html
Street Fighter IV! No gameplay yet but enough to get me pretty excited.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #222 on: October 17, 2007, 10:46:12 pm
Why do they have Fred Flintstone faces?

Why are they fighting in ink?

Why do I even care? It's gonna be 3D, and it's gonna be bad. I'd rather play a game where you drown a box full of puppies over and over again than play another Street Fighter EX.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #223 on: October 17, 2007, 10:52:54 pm
SUPER INK KAME-HAME-HADOUKEN!!!

... Cool trailer, though the art-style kind of killed the visibility of everything. Too bad.
' _ '

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #224 on: October 17, 2007, 10:58:29 pm
I would not bet on it by if I would have to I would say gameplay is gonna be 2D most likely. The SF fanbase is so rabid and stuff like Tekken and other real 3D fighting games play very very different, total different style. So I doubt Capcom want's to piss their fanbase of. And honestly, if they get it done with a nice artstyle in 3d, why not. Much easier for them in the long run and pleases more people. As long as the art is consistant and the game plays nice, yay. (It's not like I will play it, not a fighter game fan, just saying.)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #225 on: October 17, 2007, 11:54:58 pm
Who cares about SF4 right now? 28 days until Assassin's Creed.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #226 on: October 18, 2007, 12:59:33 am
I care.

Damn it. I was hoping they wouldn't go 3d again. Sheesh. I guess the mainstream's money is the only way Capcom can keep the franchise going. Maybe they'll find an in-between and use cell shading instead of full 3d, so it will encompass a 2d aspect as well. I saw the preview, and thought the effects were okay, but the character models themselves were...BLeghhh! Ryu's face looks NON-HUMAN. Oh well, it's still a teaser, so maybe we'll get something better in the near future. I'm sure they won't release this game along with Street Fighter High Def thingy. Would be bad marketing.
I'm also hoping they end Ryu and Akuma's story arc already. They've reached legendary status, and a decision must be reached, imo. 3rd Strike's characters are good enough to stand on their own, and Alex can fulfill the lead character position (as that is what was meant to happen.) Maybe even Sakura can start getting serious with her taught skills, and even get a new design as she has aged a bit (all SF Ex characters can be considered non-canon for all I care.)....Ugh, I'm asking for too much here.

Heres to hoping this one won't bomb like the Street Fighter Ex series.
my back hurts...

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #227 on: October 18, 2007, 01:50:42 am
Like I said, who cares? It's gonna suck, so? What'll be new? Nothing, it'll just be 3D, go play Street Fighter 3 man, which has been finally emulated which means its playable on the pc, added with Kaillera its perfect and if you don't want to use the keyboard you don't need to, just go get a controller for the pc or whatever.
Meanwhile, Assassin's Creed is something new and innovative(That will actually be good), which Capcom doesn't do enough of(Or sometimes, like with Megaman for instance, does too much of). Capcom's taking time to revamp an old 2D fighter to a crappy 3D fighter, instead of working on something that might actually be fun, like making a game similar to Dead Rising thats multiplayer. Even if Streey Fighter 4 is gonna be similar to the old gameplay, so? First off, its too early to speculate and second off its the same crap you've already played except with a controller(And controllers are not fun to use with games like Street Fighter, for me, anyways, I'd rather use a keyboard, which I actually do, heh).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:52:52 am by bengoshia »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #228 on: October 18, 2007, 02:51:22 am
Wow, that's like...the reason I played Super Paper Mario.  Neat, though I'll never get to play it ever probably.

Suppose we need to make a trixel art critique forum now, too?  :-\
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #229 on: October 18, 2007, 03:09:26 am
No.

I dunno, Capcom/SNK have tried to bring 2D gameplay into a 3D engine on several occasions, but the results have always been lackluster and generally panned by gamers. Why won't the homies just keep it real?

I'd rather have them reinvent the gameplay for SF4 into something that takes advantage of 3D, rather than 2D gameplay + sidestep.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:13:44 am by pkmays »