AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 298224 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #120 on: October 06, 2007, 10:26:13 pm
What does that mean? Does HALO spend time in cutscenes? Yes. Therefore it could create a better immersive experience.

It's interesting that you brought up cutscenes, because in the making-of stuff that comes with the limited Halo 3 editions, there's some talk about the cutscenes in the game. They found gamers today really love to skip cutscenes, even cutscenes they've never seen before, and then the same people would be all confused about the rest of the game because they probably didn't even realize they missed something by skipping that cutscene. So they made an effort to compact the cutscenes in Halo 3 down so no one would want to skip them.

Halo 3 isn't so much about being revolutionizing and new and fresh as it is about being accessable. I mean, it's like... the best selling FPS ever, partly because it's good, but partly because it's accessable. If you make a game that everyone CAN play, and you make it good enough for people to spend money on, you have a game that EVERYONE plays. Games can be good without getting large audiences. Games can get large audiences without being good. I don't think Bungie's vision with Halo 3 was to make the best game ever from an artistic point of view.

And yes, I'm evangalhowever you spell that word, but I do so because Halo is NOT one-dimensional. People think it is, especially because it's got such a massive fanbase of brainlessness, but it's so far from the truth I feel compelled to try to convince people it ISN'T one-dimensional. If it was, I wouldn't have to preach about it.

Ptoing, yeah, it does seem like I'm defending Halo 3. That's not my intent, the game and its makers don't need defending. I intended my two massive walls of text to be directed at a fellow gamer; huZba. Because I felt exactly the same way he did, but then it grew on me. In the same way, it would grow on him, if he let it. That's really all I was trying to say. Worst thing is, the more I try to explain why I seem so fanboyish about Halo 3, the worse it gets. So I'm gonna stop now. Meh!

Quote from: pkmays
Hmm, the way I see it, there are two types of first person shooters: Quake (1), and everything else.
You've only played two shooters then? Quake and something else. I mean, games like Rainbow Six, for example, don't fit in the same category as games like Halo. And Halo doesn't fit in the same category as Quake (although in multiplayer it's a pretty close match, now). Then there's Battlefield and stuff like that. Then there's third person games that behave like first person games, like Gears of War.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #121 on: October 06, 2007, 10:45:04 pm
Halo is the FF7 of FPS games.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #122 on: October 06, 2007, 10:54:39 pm
FF7 is the Keanu Reeves of 2D Platforming Games.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #123 on: October 06, 2007, 11:22:52 pm
FF7 is the Keanu Reeves of 2D Platforming Games.

Generic, slow witted, and extremely wooden acting, and facial expression in every movie, while some girls still go wild over him...yeah that sounds about right.

*zing*
my back hurts...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #124 on: October 06, 2007, 11:24:21 pm
Halo is the FF7 of FPS games.
what's the FF6 that all the "true FF fans" swear is better? :hehe:
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #125 on: October 06, 2007, 11:26:05 pm
I don't know, but true FF fans play FF.  You have to be a true FF6 fan to play FF6, but your requirement of being a true FF fan is to play FF (the game without a number attached to it).

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #126 on: October 06, 2007, 11:47:52 pm
So, basically rox, you feel compelled to do free pr for one of the biggest selling games ever. How awful do you feel about yourself to be a non-paid employee of Bungie?

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #127 on: October 07, 2007, 12:36:28 am
True FF fans play Final Fight, I believe.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #128 on: October 07, 2007, 12:44:28 am
what i meant is that both games are hugely popular sellers, and are often the first game in that genre that its fans have had exposure too.  what i also mean is its ok to like or love a game, but that does not necessarily make it good.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #129 on: October 07, 2007, 12:48:19 am
You've only played two shooters then? Quake and something else. I mean, games like Rainbow Six, for example, don't fit in the same category as games like Halo. And Halo doesn't fit in the same category as Quake (although in multiplayer it's a pretty close match, now). Then there's Battlefield and stuff like that. Then there's third person games that behave like first person games, like Gears of War.

No. It means I really like Quake. Jeeze.

True FF fans play Final Fight, I believe.

Close. True FF fans play Fatal Fury.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 12:49:56 am by pkmays »