AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 298332 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #90 on: October 03, 2007, 03:43:37 pm
Why so conflicted, David?

Welcome back. :-*
Stay awhile, and listen.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #91 on: October 03, 2007, 04:33:31 pm
I agree with Xion and this guy sums up my view of halo3 pretty accuratelly.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2304-Zero-Punctuation-Halo-3

Except co-op and online multiplayer are great... IF you play with friends. Never fancied playing with strangers... kinda feels pointless when you can't throw them with a paperball when they shoot you.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #92 on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:45 pm

:P

Sorry man. I guess I'm really tired or something...

OH YOU.
' _ '

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #93 on: October 03, 2007, 10:44:56 pm
Halo is a bit of a strange series. Every game in the series gets better consistently the more you play it. Some other games do that, to some degree, but usually most things get really dull by the third or fourth time you play it. Not so with either of the Halo games. There's ALWAYS stuff you haven't seen, haven't heard and haven't experienced. I found an awesome sniper spot and an exciting alternate way of taking down a troublesome enemy on the fourth level. That would be the fifth time I played said level. I'm going back to it tomorrow or the day after that. And with tens of thousands of randomly selected combat dialog from all types of enemies and allies, you will hear something you haven't heard before almost every time you play it. Also, the better you get, the more you'll want to experiment with weapon setups and tactics, and the more you experiment, the more hidden goodies you find spread around every level in the game, which in turn makes you even more willing to explore. And that makes you wanna play it again. And again, eventually.

Then you play it with friends, and it's a completely different game, entirely... Me and a friend were playing two or three levels of the first game almost every day, for almost a year. I swear. It like was an after-school tradition for us. Same levels, same time, every day for many many months, and it NEVER got boring. Halo 2 didn't have quite the same charm, but it DID have more eggs and secrets to find even when playing alone.

Halo 3 is better than Halo 2 was. Which probably means I'll be playing it for many more years, even. Especially with the sexcellent multiplayer. I've never had the chance to play Halo online until now (not counting the H3 beta), and it's extremely exciting.

In short: If you play Halo 3, it'll seem avarage. If you play it twice, it'll seem like you'll be bored of it if you play it one more time, but you'll start to understand the really complex story. If you DO play it one more time, and try a higher difficulty, you'll start to wonder if the amazement never ends. The first two games were exactly the same in that regard. Hell, I last played Halo 1 on co-op the weekend before Halo 3 was released. The first half of it was STILL incredibly fun, although it felt slighty slow and, in my case, routine. Probably because I've done it a billion times before.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #94 on: October 04, 2007, 12:41:37 am
I agree with Xion and this guy sums up my view of halo3 pretty accuratelly.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/2304-Zero-Punctuation-Halo-3
I watched all of that guy's reviews, and my brain felt really tired afterwards.  He talks VERY quickly.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: October 04, 2007, 09:18:07 pm
There is one thing about Halo 3 very few people make a big deal about, but to artsy types, deserves to be a big deal. The theater/saved films mode. If you like to take pictures of things, or if you've ever worked with films, or short clips, or anything like that, the saved films function is like a digital dream.

Go anywhere during your last games, slow down time, pause it completely, find one specific frame in a specific animation, find a good angle, perhaps a good background, maybe you even decided you wanted to take a screenshot and set it up during the game, then go crazy on a paused frame with the detached camera and watch lazily as your screenshots upscale to twice their native resolution (without noticable drop in quality) and upload automatically to your Bungie.net profile for all to see! If you have a Live Gold account, that is.

Here's one of those very specific frames of animation. I have no idea how I got his elbow to be in front of him like that. I think it's at the very peak of a sword swing at a really awkward angle. In any case, I love how it turned out. I could spend hours just taking screenshots of things at various angles. And then it's just a matter of downloading the hi-res one from B.net and upload it to an image host and everyone can see it! I hope other games follow this as eagerly as they followed the previous games' little shenanigans, like how Halo 1 kicked off the rechargable health popularity, and Halo 2 gave console online play a new standard. It's just an amazing thing for console games to finally be able to do. Of course, coupled with the fact that no one can cheat and get away with it anymore. Everything's always on film.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #96 on: October 04, 2007, 09:51:20 pm
That has nothing to do with gameplay tho, that's an extra gimmick and as fun as it can be, does nothing for the gameplay (which I am not saying is bad here, have not played it)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #97 on: October 05, 2007, 09:55:16 am
Just watched the newest salad fingers episode which led me to this guy's amazing music which you should definitely check out.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: October 06, 2007, 12:04:39 am
That has nothing to do with gameplay tho, that's an extra gimmick and as fun as it can be, does nothing for the gameplay (which I am not saying is bad here, have not played it)

That's kinda my point, too. Halo 3 and its interaction with Bungie.net is absolutely insane, really. At any time you can go to anyone's profile and look at their ENTIRE game history, look up every kill they've ever scored, against who, during what game, when that game was, and so on. And now you can upload screenshots, videos, gametypes and films seamlessly, and download them equally seamlessly. It has nothing to do with gameplay, but it's still part of the game. It's like Bungie have built up this huge... sphere of awesome, where the game itself is just the core, and everything you can do with it fills the surrounding area and people can tap in and do crazy stuff that's totally radical, when you think how it's really just another console game... And that's what I hope more developers will try to do in the future. Not because it makes a game better, but because if the game is good, you can enjoy it on so many more levels if you can interact with it when you're not even playing it.

Especially if they have a screenshot function with automatic uploading so you can make your own photoshopped comics or "PWNED!!1" pictures and stuff like that in just a matter of minutes!

Oh, Bungie...

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #99 on: October 06, 2007, 12:09:09 am
OT-OT: Might be a dumb question, but is it just me, or are some posts here(so far, the last posts of certain threads) coming up with a teal blue background? Wuz up wit dat?
my back hurts...