AuthorTopic: Mobile Suit Victory Gundam  (Read 3848 times)

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

on: September 16, 2007, 09:23:50 pm

I'm still not satisfied with this, mostly because some things look weird, and lots of experimentation has caused a bit of inconsistency here and there.  None of the less, I think it's worth posting here by now.

I didn't draw this on paper this time.  I looked at a screenshot (which was much larger) of the V1 Gundam from the Victory Gundam anime for a start, then used mahq.net's Victory Gundam profile lineart to help draw things that weren't visible in the screenshot.

By the way, I didn't go for either the overly dithered/rusted look or the shiny look (well, I could have made it a bit shiny (not too much where it looks chromed, just light shining off metal), but I keep forgetting to think of it).

Offline Solitaire

• ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    • View Profile

Re: Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 09:36:50 pm
Nice.

The light source on the body and the head seems to be from different positions, though. The body's light seems to be coming more from the front, whereas the head's seems to be coming from the right side. Unless, of course, you're trying to have the light coming from the upper right, in which case you'd want to move the light on the body closer to the right.

The body also looks like it's in more of a 3/4's view, but the head's pretty much straight left. Maybe tilt it more to the right? I dunno.

Nice piece, though. The color's are nicely chosen. And since some of it's experimental, i'd say it's relativley good.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 09:51:53 pm
Thanks for both the praises and criticisms.  The two things you mentioned I can work on (especially the light source).

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 01:50:18 pm

This is the update.  I fixed the torso quite a bit, now I am a lot more satisfied with the shape.  I also made the face point a different direction, to be more consistent with the helmet.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 05:22:55 pm
The elements are out of proportion with each other. The shoulders should be almost twice the size of the head and the torso around 30% bigger. Perspective is somewhat buggy as well, mostly with the pieces on the head and the chest. How about you draw this on a piece of paper with cylinders, balls and boxes, then try and translate that onto pixels? Pay attention to relative sizes of different elements.

It's coming out allright, but there's the potential to be awesome, so keep at it  :y:

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 05:27:54 pm
Yeah.  You're right that the Victory Gundam is out of proportion.  I've been working at it, though, and it's been more and more in-proportion every time I've made an update (the original version was horribly skinny).

Before I draw anything on paper, is there any problems with any of the actual pixeling I did?  Poor anti-aliasing, contrast, etc?

I'll probably start dithering as well, to put some mix in the changes of shades.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:54:27 pm by KittenMaster »