AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811372 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1030 on: June 23, 2009, 06:58:49 am
Nope, everything is pretty clear.  Thankfully what i'm gleaning from the face is mostly about drawing more slowly, and perhaps larger (this girl's face is, as usual, the actual size of my thumbnail) and making sure that the shapes and particularly curves are more fluid and gentle.  Not hugely sure of the added shades just because I think that the 3-pigment approach helped reign in a lot of my decisions and it was helpful, but maybe if had a pastel tone over it (or as a starting base) i could put in some lights with gouache or something.  I think where i ran into trouble was beginning very loose and gesturally and then moving into refinement of tone and material without ever correcting a lot of the quick pencil lines (just inking them as they had fallen).

lower stuff seems to be basic volumetric considerations that i am constantly neglecting and the reminder about is something i appreciate.

did I miss anything?  practice makes perfect but conversing is immersing.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1031 on: June 23, 2009, 11:06:53 am
Besides these things perhaps reconsider the symbols you use for noses in your more animesque, pieces. I'd also personally make more nuanced ears. Be careful that eyes line up vertically (even in the edit one eye is a bit higher than the other). I've found unbalanced eyes (a big problem of mine) destroys what emotional effect the face was attempting pretty fast. Always mind where the neck connects to the head even if it's an anime drawing and especially the angles at which it connects to the head, because subtle neck positions change an expression a lot, I've found (imagine the difference between reeling your head away from something and leaning into it, even if your expression is the same). Head to shoulders ratio needs readdressing even if it's a super deformed piece. Finally a bit more nuance to the eyes/mouth because that's pretty much all you get to convey any emotion in this style.

The body has its own share of issues, though.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #1032 on: June 27, 2009, 02:42:03 pm
Helms edit is more easy to fall for - not as 'chubby cheeked barbie thin', softer chin curve (feels like a nicer personality because of it), etc - though depending on your characters personality, all that may have been appropriate. In ND's, she seems more like a warrior, in Helms more like a school girl. Actually, makes me think of the girl from the Angel tv series who gets possessed by a demon and has her soul consumed and all that.

I don't know if it's just me, but I find small/extremely high/indents for eyebrows extremely disturbing. Not as much here as on people in RL who insist on plucking their eyebrows so they wind up halfway up their forehead, but a little strange anyway.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #1033 on: June 28, 2009, 02:31:57 am
Hello there, more music from me. This time it's unfinished. I'm trying to decide on where to go with this song. Any ideas suggestions welcome.

http://startdownload.filefront.com/13939933//defe1ed6850cc881714e1e600e92baa48b964012cdbe426ed0a3e5b0fcc41b222b30f39ed70f9006//

Thanks in advance!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1034 on: June 30, 2009, 05:10:18 am
The link is shot, hunter; nuthin there.

more mindless self-vindication - this very old bit of ink fodder is the result of unemployment, plenty of cheap ink pens and uhh . . . a former ganja habit, for extra concentration, of course. the only merit here is the evident abundance of patience, I've always had that.

This desecrated colllege rule 8.5x11in sheet of paper is almost a decade old now, looking back at older works I'm amazed at my resistance to color. I thrived on black and white back then; pen and pencil and maybe some charcoal here and there, didn't want to touch color, how stupid. I wonder if I stunted my own progress, I must've.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1035 on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:48 am
it's portrait and composition month over at conceptart
heres a warmup:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #1036 on: June 30, 2009, 07:12:26 am
you continuously improve.  watch that your contrast groups and lights do not become so placed that they become prescribed rather than described.  color which falls out of a composition has no place, lights which destroy form (or even ones that do not lend themselves to it) are of little value (no pun intended).  be also mindful of your edges, sharp and soft changes so much in a painting and there's some choices I'd call interesting.  in all, a good study and nice colors, but in terms of straight-up painting, be careful : to copy the world and to recite forms are both excellent skills, but art, particularly the portrait, is about more than that.  you have the skill to be amazing if you let go of just a little more.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1037 on: June 30, 2009, 02:19:08 pm
it's portrait and composition month over at conceptart
heres a warmup...

I love it. Done from memory, a photo or live reference?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1038 on: June 30, 2009, 05:01:35 pm
Nate: Thankyou for your comments. In terms of contrast, some of it may be from me trying to color correct the photo. To describe the lighting, I was lit by the side with a warm light, and had reflected light that was VERY cool on the shadow side, I actually downplayed that alot, my nose appeared blue basically. It always means a bunch to hear from you, and I intend on being nothing less than amazing ;p

Mathias: thanks, it was done from life. :]

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1039 on: June 30, 2009, 08:55:20 pm
That's very, very good Ryumaru. What I love best about your paintings is the silky atmosphere you create with the paints, as if they were brushed with liquefied chocolate. ._.

I tried rendering different, more blobby and with less of a focus on lines, but I think I killed consistency with the capricious outline placement where they managed to sneak in.