AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 817129 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #730 on: September 29, 2008, 06:37:04 pm
Doubleposting is not encouraged without a good reason, you could just have edited your post.

I suggest you read the RULES if you have not already.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #731 on: September 29, 2008, 08:46:12 pm
Geez, you didn't need to dump on me.

I just thought people were posting here to have some look into what they do other then pixel art. I don't know where you got the idea of me being young either. The birthdate on my profile clearly states that I'm 26. I didn't mean to annoy you so terribly by posting more then 3 times in a row. And, what's wrong with stick figures? I thought everybody like stick figures?

Just my luck to get a member thats having a bad day. But anyways, I was just asking what people thought,(like everybody else), not for a harsh, crushing critique. Anyways, I might try what you suggested. But isn't the other image a flipped image of the first one? ;) If I can find a picture of a relative that I drew, It'd give you a good idea of what the finish peice would look like. Btw, I'm also drawing with a 0.7 mm mechanical pencil. Besides, I always feel like I'm pressed for time and don't feel like I can work on something for very long. Maybe if I relaxed a little more?

(I'm just asking if you're having a bad day, because, this isn't like you. I checked your post history to see if you're like this to anybody else, and you're not usually. So, sorry if I annoyed you for asking for help multiple times. Sorry you had a bad day.):(

@ptoing: My bad, I thought I did read the rules, I just couldn't find the modify button. I apologize, it won't happen again.

Hey guy, you're clearly overreacting, because I'm seeing no passive agressiveness in the post directed to you.

It seems more like he said things you didn't want to hear, something that is often far more agitating than someone just being a little rude.

Trust me, :D Darien definately didn't lash out at you, he just tried to give you his thoughts in a detailed manner. Instead of telling you that "practise makes perfect, lol", he basically told you right away that the biggest problems you have right now seem to be: "little sense of volume, overuse of symbolic representation, and little anatomical knowledge". There is no antagonism in that sentence. It simply means that: your images do not convey form well to the viewer, thus you seem to have problems grasping it in the first hand. This ties in with the symbolic representation thing, it's something that everybody does, but it's very important to stray away from it as well. Also, little anatomical knowledge simply suggests that you haven't studied anatomy extensively. Have you?

Anyhow, welcome to the forum and please rest assured that everyone here means you only well! Just keep that in mind so you don't think that people are lashing out on you when they're just really trying to give you what you asked for in a direct manner. (:
' _ '

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #732 on: September 29, 2008, 10:58:36 pm
Yeah, everything is cool, nobody is picking on you.

But isn't the other image a flipped image of the first one?
That's the point, though. If you compare the output, you'll find that if you're copying something upside down, it already looks weird, so you concentrate more on form, the shape of everything, than on representation, getting it to look like what it's supposed to look like. This would help you to draw more better. Try it.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #733 on: September 30, 2008, 01:02:58 am
Just bought my first scanner ever so I went nuts scanning all my old sketchbook pieces and art.  The reason for the purchase was the tragic defacing of mostly all my pieces when the apartment flooded a few weeks ago, leaving much of my stuff warped with bled colors and smudged to all hell.  Realized how much it really bummed me to have them ruined like that, so got the scanner to make harddisk / CD / Online backups, not to mention how much more convenient it will be from now on when translating my sketches to digital media from their references (I used to sketch it then completely redraw it looking up and down over and over again.)

Thought I'd just post a few of them, nothing too special.

Both of these were for a flash cartoon I was making a long time ago that I completely abandoned after drawing WAY too much stuff.  I've got tons of these but don't wanna scroll the thread with a bunch of vector art and links to flash player files.  ;D

Drew this in highschool back before I practiced any pixeling or studied it in any way.  Most of it was looking at sprites and mindnumbingly outlined on a handdrawn grid then colored with PrismaColor markers on a 12x12 cardstock sheet.

Got some really amazing artists in this community, I'm grossly happy with google for uniting me with these boards!

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #734 on: September 30, 2008, 01:16:26 am
Um, that makes it sound a little better. And, actually, I had looked at this site for some time, and thats exactly the kind of thing you guys say. I guess I wasn't ready for it. Especially since other people tell you you're good, and then I get this online. Guess I just don't know how to respond to real critiques. (Or know how to respond to this in general.)

(It's also stuff like in the above post that lets me know I'm really not that good.)
(Maybe I'm just dissilusional, and I should shut up until I have something real to post.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:49:55 am by xhunterko »

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #735 on: September 30, 2008, 01:50:24 am
Um, that makes it sound a little better. And, actually, I had looked at this site for some time, and thats exactly the kind of thing you guys say. I guess I wasn't ready for it. Especially since other people tell you you're good, and then I get this online. Guess I just don't know how to respond to real critiques. (Or know how to respond to this in general.)

(It's also stuff like in the above post that lets me know I'm really not that good.)
(Maybe I'm just dissilusional, and shut up until I have something real to post.)

Hey man, first of all, welcome to the forums. I know exactly where you're coming from, hearing a harsh critique is hard, no fun, and it can be down right discouraging. But, it's also there to help you. It's not there to simply say "you're horrible, don't ever post again" people here post critique to try and help you advance as an artist. Believe me, while the critique may seem harsh, it's only being written to help you. That being said, I look forward to seeing you progress and develope over the time that you're here on the forums. Please continue posting your work, and give it some time. You'll see your work improving drastically.  ;D

Argyle, That nostalgia piece is epic.  :)
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #736 on: October 01, 2008, 12:29:32 am
@Darian: I actually haven't copied a master work before. But as I said, I might try it. (I don't really want to deface a Picasso painting though.)

Otherwise, I've thought of several different responses and thought I'd do a warm up before I did anything. I dunno what to call this. Sorry for being annoying by multiposting earlier.

Self portrait of hand?

With sharpen
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/rob/Portfolio/handsharpen.png

And concerning the why I draw like that, most of these are what I would like possible sprites to look like. Mostly so I can put them in my games. Plus its fun, and I get my ideas down before I forget them.

EDIT: I just realized a couple of the fingers may seem a bit off. I am partially "clawing" though. That might have something to do with it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:36:17 am by xhunterko »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #737 on: October 01, 2008, 12:33:58 am
Blah first try at mudbox.  :ouch:

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #738 on: October 01, 2008, 03:38:58 am
@xhunter:  I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, I really wasn't trying to dump on you or anything.  I'm glad if you can see what I was trying to get at it and that you're sticking around, though.

@Darian: I actually haven't copied a master work before. But as I said, I might try it. (I don't really want to deface a Picasso painting though.)

Well I certainly recommend you try this exercise.  Don't worry about defacing it though, it'll still be there when you're done :)

Your hand drawing is certainly a noble attempt; hands are extremely difficult, even for experienced artists.  I think you ought to stay away from getting intensely detailed at this time--concentrate on form.  The actual shape--the volume--of the hand is much more important for conveying information than the details.  (also, it's no shame to try working with simpler shapes and objects than hands first)

One exercise you might want to try is to only draw the outside of the hand/object, what's called a contour drawing.  The way I first learned it was to very, very, very slowly move your eye along the outside "line" of the hand or object while drawing at the same pace.  All one continuous line--don't lift your pencil from the paper, don't erase or anything.  Also, don't look down at your paper.  At all.  You might think that what you'll get is a jumbled mess on the paper that won't look like an accurate representation of a hand at all, and you'd be right.  This is just an exercise in turning the categorical portion of the brain off (which is what the Picasso exercise it attempting to accomplish as well).  Try this a few times and once you get a bit more comfortable with it go ahead and try it with looking at your paper and see if you can shape it into a more accurate representation of hand.

Anyway I hope you find this useful, and I hope you keep active around here, most everyone here is here to help others learn and to learn from others  :)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #739 on: October 01, 2008, 06:27:42 am
Sadly, I wasn't too successful with that particular assignment in art class in college  :(

Hm, I think I'll put up some of my map drawings. I have been told that I'm somewhat a perfectionist and have a high level of detail. And it'll give you something to chew on while I work on that Picasso piece.

(I love that modify button. The game community site I hang out on doesn't have one.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:32:19 am by xhunterko »