AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 816106 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #720 on: September 24, 2008, 07:28:09 am
Thats ace willows! Did you use a 3d renderer at all?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #721 on: September 25, 2008, 04:33:43 am
My first 3d model, WIP still. Learning the ropes.

You guys are tough acts to follow.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #722 on: September 25, 2008, 07:37:18 am

Kinda-Viking redesign of Ram-Man. XD
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #723 on: September 25, 2008, 07:57:18 pm
:D

Naw, no 3d assistance, just hours and brushes in photoshop. An instructor at my school took half an hour to show me what COULD be done with it, mostly with making the metal look like metal (reflecting the colours around it helps a lot, as does a rust-ish tinge) and how more appeal could be added. He thought it was pretty rad, though.

Was for an assignment called "Batman from a different era" in which we were supposed to re-envision batman as roman or victorian or whatever we wanted as long as it wasn't in the future "silver dildo spaceship batman" or a ninja/samurai/whatever. That whole course kicked ass, I'm sad it's over.

Also sad there is no digipainting course in my program. I've heard that Bobby Chiu does some decent teaching (www.imaginismstudios.com and youtube for Bobby Chiu) of the online sort. I'd like to learn, especially how to manage and include colours without it... uhh... looking disastrous.

But I'm rambling.

@ cow, I think the brow protrudes further in reality than it does in your model, currently. I've been taught to always have or take or make direct reference for anything I'm modelling, as it gives you the freedom to think about how to plan your geometry without worrying as much where the geometry borders are.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #724 on: September 28, 2008, 06:43:32 am
Yeah, having a reference would certainly have been helpful... This might make for some good facial anatomy practice, but really 3d is easier for that sort of thing, for me at least, because it's easier to tweak the hell out of everything. I agree about the forehead. Might post an update soon, or I might learn UV mapping and stuff first (although I really don't want to, definitely doesn't seem like the funnest part of the whole process :().

And yeah, that's fantastic Willows, thought it was 3d at first glance also.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #725 on: September 28, 2008, 06:50:15 pm
Cool stuff guys!

Hi ya!
I have been told that this is the place to put these things. So here goes.

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=186287

At one point during a conversation on another site, someone implied that I didn't know how to draw even. I was a bit miffed by this so I took out my digital camera and took some photos. The result is what you see here. So, while I may not be able to pixel very well, I Can draw well. (I can't take good photos either, but that's cause I didn't have a good light source atm.)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #726 on: September 28, 2008, 08:55:52 pm
I forgot about the part of no one liner's. So here goes.

@willows: Love those 3d models. I did a little myself a while back. That took some real skill.

@locrian: those look really great. I love the style about them. They all merge together really well.

@ndchristie: Excellent looking mockup. I like screenshots of games that try to break into an artistic style.

@junkboy: Nice work, for a while I looked at that steampunk universer myself. Never did anything with it though.

@sherman gill: It's nice to know that other people sketch out their ideas in paper and notebooks first. Nice style, a bit odd though.

@chalk: monster, indeed. Image helps to drive the point home.

@doppleganger: love the use of the design. Very nice use of layers. Someone's probably said that you might need a bit more shading, but meh, who am i to talk?

@JJ Naas: That video game nerd picture is perfect. It's kinda what you think of when someone says that.

@ZoSo: Do you mind if I study from that? My own stuff looks ugly. It looks familiar though.

@Ben2theEdge: I love the comic. About the one on this page though. Sort of reminds me of metal slug. Don't know why.

@others: I would love to comment on everything, but I'd probably run out of room. It's fantastic to know that pixel artists can be Actual artists as well. And not some wierd, hyper-active mouse clickers who hide in comic book stores lurk around the web looking down on other people. It's cool really (Meant no offense there.)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #727 on: September 29, 2008, 01:33:09 am
Hopefully, I didn't stumble upon a dead thread. I thought it might be more helpful to post the pictures instead of putting up the link.

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Pic6

EDIT: I figured it'd just be simple to put the link here. It's not helpful to this thread if I keep a load of bad images for people to view. And because I might retake better pics of these. -.-

http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=186287

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:24:30 pm by xhunterko »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #728 on: September 29, 2008, 02:31:27 am
At one point during a conversation on another site, someone implied that I didn't know how to draw even. I was a bit miffed by this so I took out my digital camera and took some photos. The result is what you see here. So, while I may not be able to pixel very well, I Can draw well. (I can't take good photos either, but that's cause I didn't have a good light source atm.)

Hi xhunter,

Judging from your drawings, I would think what this other person meant was that your observational drawing skills are lacking.  I can see it in your work where you have little sense of volume, overuse of symbolic representation, and little anatomical knowledge.  I would also venture to say you are quite young, yeah?

I think (and you will hear this advice repeated often to many many people on this site and just in general in the art world) that you ought spend some time drawing from life; take a few interesting objects and try to draw them as they are, rather than drawing what you use in your mind to categorize them (a human is not a thing with 2 arms 2 legs and a head, but something much more incredibly complex, and each one unique, so you ought to draw somebody's foot as theirs is, without letting any preconceptions or yours about what is a foot intrude on your drawing).  This might not all make sense if you're not familiar with this mode of thought, and that's okay.  If you need some illumination on this concept, try doing this exercise that is was made famous by the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Try to copy this:  http://www.abcgallery.com/P/picasso/picasso25.html

Then, try to copy this:  http://www.seedsofgrowth.com/files/images/upsidedown.preview.jpg

Then take this mode of seeing and do many, many observation drawings... you will improve much much faster than by receiving critiques on your doodles

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #729 on: September 29, 2008, 06:12:57 pm
Geez, you didn't need to dump on me.

I just thought people were posting here to have some look into what they do other then pixel art. I don't know where you got the idea of me being young either. The birthdate on my profile clearly states that I'm 26. I didn't mean to annoy you so terribly by posting more then 3 times in a row. And, what's wrong with stick figures? I thought everybody like stick figures?

Just my luck to get a member thats having a bad day. But anyways, I was just asking what people thought,(like everybody else), not for a harsh, crushing critique. Anyways, I might try what you suggested. But isn't the other image a flipped image of the first one? ;) If I can find a picture of a relative that I drew, It'd give you a good idea of what the finish peice would look like. Btw, I'm also drawing with a 0.7 mm mechanical pencil. Besides, I always feel like I'm pressed for time and don't feel like I can work on something for very long. Maybe if I relaxed a little more?

(I'm just asking if you're having a bad day, because, this isn't like you. I checked your post history to see if you're like this to anybody else, and you're not usually. So, sorry if I annoyed you for asking for help multiple times. Sorry you had a bad day.):(

@ptoing: My bad, I thought I did read the rules, I just couldn't find the modify button. I apologize, it won't happen again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 07:27:41 pm by xhunterko »