AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 817236 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #610 on: July 11, 2008, 01:17:48 pm
huZba that's pretty great. Do you want inking critique?

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #611 on: July 11, 2008, 02:32:16 pm
I know this may not exactly be everyone's style or whatnot, but I've been writing music in my free time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvCC7ZdBUFw

Hmm I can't stop watching this Dan, all I can say is the same I said on Punaji.. "Shit Dan. That was great. Really." Put it on iTunes. ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #612 on: July 11, 2008, 03:16:12 pm
huZba that's pretty great. Do you want inking critique?
Yes please.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #613 on: July 12, 2008, 07:28:51 pm
doodlepoo

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #614 on: July 12, 2008, 09:20:00 pm
-

Before ink critique, a word about nostrils: I am not an expert but I think they need some further work on where they connect with the face, especially the left (ours) one.

Sorry I killed that extra bit of hair, I kinda floodfilled it out by mistake!

Okay, first of all, your drawing is pretty awesome. It has character and it's very well made fundamentally. That being said, this is not ink, this is tightened pencil work, if you get my meaning. If there's no point to the ink then don't ink it. The ink needs to have some identity of its own. How I did it is one out of hundreds of ways to ink, but you can tell it's ink now. It's sharp (no grays) and it has its own little ruleset (the cross-hatching theme) that the eye interprets. That's the biggest thing I have to tell you really: make the ink do something, not just follow the pencils conservatively. Especially on the lips the inks really don't define the shapes as well as they could in your original. And do try to give a hint of teeth there (though i understand you'd rather avoid EVERY TEETH OUTLINE  :crazy: for obvious reasons) because whitespace is kinda odd for that.

Furthermore I did some airbrush and tone work but that's just extra. I mainly did that because the short of shadowing I wanted on the face couldn't easily be done with ink lines (too many lines and a woman's face becomes a grandmothers face) but also to remind: inks do not have to stand alone. Comic tone and airbrush work and whatever else you desire that lives an sharp 1bit print are the friends of ink.

Tell me if you'd like me to clear something in particular out. And here's a photoshop file for you of the same thing layered if you need it

edit: it was pointed out to me that I perhaps wasn't clear enough: the biggest issue with how you ink is blurryness/softness. Turn off AA in photoshop and work at large sizes (600 dpi or something, the PS engine will aa somewhat when you zoom out, which is fine and nondestructive and the pixels won't bite you) or just get Manga Studio if you want to keep inking digitally.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 09:31:48 pm by Helm »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #615 on: July 12, 2008, 11:32:20 pm
Nice critique Helm.

poop:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #616 on: July 13, 2008, 01:46:42 am

This one loses lots due to size. Here's a closeup.

Additive and subtractive, went for a kinda etched effect. The joys of digital inking.

It's done, mostly! A yus bird emblem left to do and then it goes for coloring and layouting for the wraparound cover. Almost a month for this is pretty shitty time if you ask me, but I learned a lot for one and also it's vacation season, did well enough all things considered. Top grade critique on Pixelation, I thank you cordially all.

I love the dude very much, Ptoing, as I've told you in msn. The vegetebla dentata pear gives me nightmares, but there's something really pleasing about it manipulating a pixel on top of a bigger black one. Good from-dark-to-light studies.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #617 on: July 13, 2008, 01:52:26 am
Helm, I would never have expected all of those characters to fit so well together like that with each being a different style!
And the latest one is nice :]

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #618 on: July 13, 2008, 01:57:36 am
Thank you very much. This was a concern of mine as well. One, the small scale does them a favor here. Second, it's not so much the styles that are different (they're not really, much) it's that the rendering tricks are different. If I had a mickey mouse character in there or a manga character it would clash much worse. The coloring will probably make this all come together. Tomorrow I do yus emblem and 4 small interior vignettes and I'm done done done.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #619 on: July 13, 2008, 02:16:46 am
And then you send me copy of final product yes?
( I kid I kid)
I guess that's what I meant: the different renderings no so much the styles of the characters themselves.