AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811428 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #370 on: March 24, 2008, 03:11:09 pm
Your sketches keep reverting to the nostril issues of the past that I thought you had resolved!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #371 on: March 24, 2008, 05:13:49 pm
Whenever I design an outfit or just sketch 90% of the time it resembles me. I don't know why but it seems like that's the case for a lot of people I know - they draw themselves. So I usually get the ballerina look because I fence and fencing is basically using the legs as you would when dancing - only with supporting timed sword blows so the deltoids in my images are always a little bit bigger than usual. :)

I just remembered who that sketch reminds me of - Marche from FFTA. Only he's a pirate this time.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #372 on: March 24, 2008, 07:07:57 pm
I just remembered who that sketch reminds me of - Marche from FFTA. Only he's a pirate this time.

spot on - I just sketched a random pose, noticed it was the same - that's what made me realize the ff influence (which continued from there).

unnecessary post.  details relevant to other's posts preserved in their quotes.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:13:56 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #373 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:01 pm
Whenever I design an outfit or just sketch 90% of the time it resembles me. I don't know why but it seems like that's the case for a lot of people I know - they draw themselves. So I usually get the ballerina look because I fence and fencing is basically using the legs as you would when dancing - only with supporting timed sword blows so the deltoids in my images are always a little bit bigger than usual. :)

Leonardo Da Vinci talks about that in one of his codexes I think?  Something like "the artist must always fight the urge to include the flaws in their own anatomy in their artwork" or something like that...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #374 on: March 24, 2008, 08:41:45 pm

Leonardo Da Vinci talks about that in one of his codexes I think?  Something like "the artist must always fight the urge to include the flaws in their own anatomy in their artwork" or something like that...

yeah, he had a lot of good ones, Da Vinci.  "fight" i think implies a certain set of goals that are not universally shared, but acknowledging that urge is very important.

I wish i had the ballerina shape, I'm shorter and have a bit more mass than that.  I do have (and am attracted to people who have) large (powerful?) calves though which shows up in my work.  A lot of the traits I tend to put in though are similarly based on what i find attractive, such as weak chins, pouty lips, small breasts, low ears and upturned noses.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #375 on: March 24, 2008, 10:16:06 pm
I didn't know Leonardo wrote anything on the subject, I have had no art history to speak of (school classes are a joke) and really haven't thought about reading up on some of this stuff before. I really should, as that's very true. I draw my figures arachnodactylic because my fingers are longer than the norm.

I tend to draw women and men with the traits I see as attractive as well, usually slender males, females with just the right amount of fat, large eyes, noses with a ball on the tip, thin eyebrows, flat chested women, soft slightly wavy hair of a light hue et cetera.

I don't think you should pass off an inconsistency in your work as insignificant merely because it's for fun, It's always nice to master something else. :) I understand the drawing is small but there's always the 1 px photoshop brush. I think you added unnecessary darkness to the nostrils when you should have instead signified the wings of the nose forming the outline of the black leaving the bottom of the nostril flowing into the upper lip, the angle is too high to see that far into the nose. But if it is just for fun and you keep a lookout for it in the future it doesn't really matter. You could say it's merely style.  ::)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #376 on: March 24, 2008, 11:48:18 pm

the angle is too high to see that far into the nose.

I could be wrong, but I think we've shut that down:

(this photo is actually taken at what I think is a higher angle)

Helm was refering i believe to my desire to show both nostrils, and the fact that the bridge appears collapsed with the nostril flaps heading straight back and down rather than forming a "horn" shape up into the sinus?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:13:07 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #377 on: March 25, 2008, 12:51:33 am
helm - i know what you mean, but this sketch (and most of the others I do) are the size of my palm, which makes descriptive marks hard.  every time i try to draw a nose at this size i just make it like that and say "vuck" - like I said if these were for study purposes they would be of a very different scale and then would be actual attention payed to these things.  the sketch before (the photoshop doodle) has no nose to speak of, so it's hard to say whether it follows in the same fashion.

perhaps i should post more real studies?  I guess at the end of the day though i just don't come here for that sort of thing, I come here for play.  Partisan is for play, pixel art is for play, even edits and suggestions are more of a relaxation method than a task.  make of that what you will.

whole point of fixing an issue in your method is that it'll not show up ever again when you draw be it for fun or study or work.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #378 on: March 25, 2008, 03:11:33 am
Faktablad, at 1:30, those high pitches, is that what harmonics on bass sound like?  Or are you just plucking the string above the neck?  Didn't know bass could do harmonics, would have expected them to be muddy and dull.  Also where did you get those crashes?  I wanna start recording music again.  But I hate fiddling with stuff to get a good sound.  Whenever I record it sounds like balls.
The high-pitched washy, scrapy sounds are from scraping a pick along the strings.  The track also has a lot of reverb.  Otherwise, I didn't play any harmonics, just the normal notes on the fretboard.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #379 on: March 25, 2008, 04:14:46 am

in other news, junkboy - i'm enjoying the palette decisions, which could easily have been ugly yet managed to be genuine (and therefor attractive).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 02:11:08 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.