AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 816153 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #340 on: March 14, 2008, 07:56:43 am
Thanks. I get cravings to finish this. I might. It'll take about 5 hours more. But I might.  !yus!

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #341 on: March 14, 2008, 08:04:04 am
I do have 2 questions if you don't mind, though:
First, what do the the bands around the sketched arm do? Just there to get the shape of the arm down?
And, more personally, why did you choose to draw such a uh, generic high fantasy scene with Conanesque barbarian and everything, anyway? :P
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline digitaldust

• shoopus maaaah woopus
    • View Profile
    • LOLFURRIES

Reply #342 on: March 14, 2008, 08:51:32 am
Yeah, it seems clarity is an issue then, wouldn't you say? High contrast rendering requires a lot of volumetric control

If that was directed to me, then i want to say that i actually intended to emulate what Yoji Shinkawa does best with his insane ink brushing skills. Unfortunately his technique is just so advanced, i was only able to emulate the shading. :P
"I am smart! I am smart! S-M-R-T -- I mean S-M-A-R-T!!"

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #343 on: March 14, 2008, 11:54:37 am
Oh the guy who did the Metal Gear Solid concept art's and cover's? I love theemm
He's the Konami lead-artist fayi.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:56:56 am by leroy »

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #344 on: March 14, 2008, 12:03:02 pm
Hey Helm, great piece!
One thing that i noticed immediately was his eyes. They sort of look like tired eyes? As if he doesn't care incredibly about where he's swinging his sword. Perhaps it's not just his eyes that're showing this, could be his whole face. It's really generic but i get the feeling a more angry, intense expression would work better. In fact, like your original sketch perhaps?  :y:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #345 on: March 14, 2008, 01:01:31 pm
First, what do the the bands around the sketched arm do? Just there to get the shape of the arm down?

Exactly. Just a visual guide to think about foreshortening and shape. I usually do this for more surface, but there's not a lot of difficulty in this sketch as far as shapes go, pretty straightforward.

And, more personally, why did you choose to draw such a uh, generic high fantasy scene with Conanesque barbarian and everything, anyway? :P

This isn't art for me, it's just practise. Most people revert to their basic themes when they're not exploring new ground, so yeah, I used to draw a lot of barbarians as a child and I often still do when I get the urge to draw MUSCLE I WANT MUSCLE I WILL SHOW YOU MUSCLE, you know. Besides, I urge you to consider the cliche for what it is: pulp fantasy. Quite different from high fantasy 'elves and wizards'. I enjoy Conan or Fahfr and the Grey Mouser much more than Lord of the Rings and that type of fantasy. Cruel steel to end your foul sorcery, wizard! I still find that sort of thing much more appealing than dwarves and elves, although not as appealing as robots. Robots win.

If that was directed to me, then i want to say that i actually intended to emulate what Yoji Shinkawa does best with his insane ink brushing skills. Unfortunately his technique is just so advanced, i was only able to emulate the shading.

You know it's actually hard to tell what your skill level is from these? Why don't you try some simple pencil drawings of humans and telephones and show us. If you want critique, that is.

One thing that i noticed immediately was his eyes. They sort of look like tired eyes? As if he doesn't care incredibly about where he's swinging his sword. Perhaps it's not just his eyes that're showing this, could be his whole face. It's really generic but i get the feeling a more angry, intense expression would work better. In fact, like your original sketch perhaps?

I actually toned down the anger in the original expression lots purposefully because if you're familiar with Conan lore, he's killed a lot of people, been to a lot of battlefields, it's a dayjob so to speak. What I did add instead to the face is a bit of sadistic glee, like 'oh you're going to get the sword in the head soon!' to go along with that he's going to strike a distracted enemy and whatnot. He's not very nice! Most barbarians aren't! So yeah, the expression with the tired eyes is deliberate. When I render more I might change the face a bit to half-close one of the two eyes because there'll be a jet of blood trailing the upstroke of the sword. Perhaps. Perhaps it'll be too flashy and I won't do it. I might work on this more soon, actually! Thanks for the interest and comments.

edit: carrying on

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 03:34:00 pm by Helm »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #346 on: March 14, 2008, 03:42:45 pm
Helm what software do you use to make those ink pictures?

also, your avatar isn't showing up anymore

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #347 on: March 14, 2008, 04:17:28 pm
my server is down but it'll be up in a day or so. I use Manga Studio EX 3 for the inking, but I suggest a firm grasp of natural inks before one spends time with this. But it's a great piece of software. If I ever buy a cintiq, it'll be for it.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #348 on: March 15, 2008, 12:04:49 am
I use Manga Studio EX 3 for the inking, but I suggest a firm grasp of natural inks before one spends time with this.

i guess this holds true for all mediums.  I am not looking to do ink work, i was just curious if i could create such an effect with photoshop or other free software.

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #349 on: March 15, 2008, 04:27:31 am
Feron: You can do it with any program that supports pressure-sensitive tablets, it's just a matter of of how you "ink" it...
Helm: ... but doing it as nicely as Helm has done isn't an easy feat. Though I've gotta say that when I looked at your sketch I saw more potential for a really nice drawing more in that Jean Giraud/Enki Bilal vein.

Anyway, here's some oekaki that's clearly not inspired by a certain movie.