AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811417 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #140 on: November 29, 2007, 09:21:18 am
Larwick, your problem at this stage is not where you're focusing. Your poses are stiff and while the lengths of arms and legs whatever is okay, there is a lacking of actual anatomical knowledge in how a body operates, in what kind of positions it would be comfortable in, how weight affects muscle and balance. Right now you have a 'flyswatted strawman', there is no flow and no coherent structure. The arms are sticks, the back a straight line, the actual hands holding stuff are just stiff and expressionless. You're focusing on rendering the face while you should be doing ground-up studies on the whole human figure. I guarantee you that 10 hours of life studies, focused, will make you level up twice. Gosh, I read this and it sounds harsh, but I wish someone had told me the same 2 years ago when I was rendering whisps of hair and eyelashes and lips meticulously on lifeless wooden poses. Still struggling with it, and I am trying to give you a better focus.

If you need an edit I can do it, Adarias' is really good, but not extreme enough. The pose just doesn't work.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #141 on: November 29, 2007, 01:48:07 pm
Doppleganger: That's a good point actually, throughout the drawing i've been darkening certain parts without really thinking about the whole picture, since i've only thought of it as a sketch really. I've toned down the eyes and it really helps, so thanks!
boojiboy: I really am having trouble with the legs, and certainly the way the little girl is positioned makes it look like she has incredibly long legs. The older girl's knees would have been just cut off the pic. I've always had a problem with drawing long legs, so thanks for the pointer. :] I actually have a layer where i've only drawn the body, however it's pretty much terrible. After reading Helm's crits i'll probably restart the whole body anyway, taking everyone else's opinions into account too.
Sohashu: Alrighty then, i shouldn't be afraid of getting out a paper pad and pencil though. ^-^ Although saying that you probs do anyway so i'll shutup. :3
Helm: Everytime i try to start a drawing of a person i think i skip the points that i should be concentrating at most, the whole 'stick-figure' drawings etc. So all your crits are really worthwhile at getting me to realise this. I'll take a breather and try and do some life studies like you suggested. I think an edit would really help me though, when i get back to the pic, if you have the time.  :-[ Thanks!

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #142 on: November 29, 2007, 02:18:40 pm
Larwick: You should check out the "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth" book by Andrew Loomis here.

I looked at it sometime ago when I was in a rut and found it was really inspiring as far as creating a methodology for quickly plotting down action and poses.

And, uh. To make this post not so bare, here's a self-portrait I did in Inkscape randomly, without reference:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #143 on: November 29, 2007, 06:37:14 pm

buh as you can see: this isn't very good, it also veers more and more towards unhelpful-land as there are so many alterations it's just telling you 'start over, lol!' but it might be of assistance in some concrete ways: hands. Hands. Hands. Why is she holding her skirt down? Who gives a shit about the skirt? She's instead touching her sibling to create some emotional connection between the two besides the sheltering body language. Either that or perhaps trying to hold her hair out of her face so she can pro-actively look around towards whatever's happening on the right. *Anything* but the cliche shit 'holding skirt down'. Who does this in a time of trouble? It's a bad stereotype. Sister's also looking towards her big sister for guidance and support. The other arm is holding her shoulder firmly. These things count.

Sister too low probably (in your version, amended in mine).

Never crop anatomy art at the knee. Draw the whole thing, and at the end crop wherever you feel the art needs to.

Take what is useful from the edit and disregard its faults.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:39:17 pm by Helm »

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #144 on: November 29, 2007, 08:02:43 pm
for some reason everything helm posts (including his Avatar) is not being displayed... is it just me... everyone else is fine...
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #145 on: November 29, 2007, 10:09:25 pm
Tis you only, Captain Bacca'gamon, tis you...
my back hurts...

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #146 on: November 29, 2007, 10:54:56 pm
yep,

just one of my last draw on paper : made with watercolours.

This character come from of a one shot of Akira Toriyama named kajika^^

and some sketch of myself in the same style :

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #147 on: November 29, 2007, 11:01:02 pm
todays sketchings......:

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #148 on: November 29, 2007, 11:24:47 pm
Faktableed: Great song, I really liked listening to it!

My only thing recent worth showing:

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #149 on: November 30, 2007, 01:54:45 am
Faktableed: Great song, I really liked listening to it!
Cool, thanks!

Adarias: The statue of the woman on the right is really great.  These are really nice sketches.