AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811793 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #130 on: November 28, 2007, 02:19:02 am
it's hard to get things right when the arm obscures form.  i had trouble enough imagining it without an arm :P

might be a bit closer

goddamned computer not recognizing scanner.....this would be so much faster by hand
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 02:54:18 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #131 on: November 28, 2007, 04:35:39 am
fak - you say that edit of the face looks LESS like a man?  perhaps less like a boy, but certainly not at all like a woman.
Sorry?  Perhaps it would be more helpful for both me and Larwick if you elaborated.  I'm no real facial anatomy expert, I just tried to make it look more like the teenage girls that I know.

I'm still having trouble connecting your edit with real women that I've seen.  The legs/pelvis bother me especially on that last one.  When I cut off the top half and just look at the legs, I feel like I'm looking at Leonidas from the movie 300.  They seem rather muscularly out of proportion with her top half.  Did you mean to draw it as a representation of the muscles alone?  Because I feel like there should be more fat; she just seems way too jacked for a teenage girl.  (In general in your drawings I get this Classical vibe...I'm reminded of some of the great drawings and statues by Leonardo and Michaelangelo, etc.)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #132 on: November 28, 2007, 07:52:33 am
MEh. 

This is a bunch of sketchy things i made out of the good parts of assassin's creed.  Just me messin' around with mouse jockeying. 

I know the anatomy is pretty off, but its all in good fun. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Chalk

• View Profile

Reply #133 on: November 28, 2007, 08:40:01 am
live free or die harder!

water color and ink

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #134 on: November 28, 2007, 11:04:38 am
Perhaps it would be more helpful for both me and Larwick if you elaborated.  I'm no real facial anatomy expert

I'm not one either, which is where it's really breaking down for me.  All i can say is that the feeling i get when looking at it is that I am seeing a man in his twenties or thirties
Did you mean to draw it as a representation of the muscles alone?
Yes!  I was trying to say this earlier but the words were not coming.

Chalk: That's fantastic, particularly the non-traditional handling of the grass texture

random, and not art, but i had an epiphany today while looking at people's faces without glasses.  the nose is the brightest form regardless of skin tone! i was baffled, until i considered angles...:

most of you probably consider this old hat, but it was revelation for me....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:50:16 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #135 on: November 29, 2007, 01:59:36 am

I've yet to ever post something here but I figured it was time. Some enemy concepts for an upcoming game.

Petrifried Chicken
Fox Drop
Lack-a-Daisy
Flying Pig
Toast Cat?

I used to hate vector with a passion but, it has its quirks. These'll all function piece by piece in a skeletal animation system. :)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #136 on: November 29, 2007, 03:01:28 am
Nice observation Adarias, and good sketch!
Doppleganger, those look really great, the pig looks like it could have sommor volume but the rest are wonderful imo.
Chalk, wicked.
Sohashu, sketching stuff like that with a mouse is freaking hard, neigh on impossible i think. I'd avoid it, especially on paint!

I made an update with my pic: Here. Took away the red background so it's easier to see.
I think (hope) i've fixed alot of problems. Her head looks a bit big now i've lessened her shoulder breadth, but does it look ok as a style choice?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:04:11 am by Larwick »

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #137 on: November 29, 2007, 03:16:50 am
I dig the expression on the older sister's face. It really gives off the impression that she's looking over her little sis' very protectively.

Her head might be a little big but, for me, it's hard to say.

I feel that there is something that is making the face look disjointed from the head. Perhaps it's the fact that the eyes are shaded so distinctly and deliberately. They really stand out and I can see that this is probably a style choice. They are indeed full of emotion and certainly tell the story of the picture themselves but, I think that they would still carry that weight if they were slightly more subtle. You might even find that it'd address some head issues and bring the picture together.

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #138 on: November 29, 2007, 05:25:43 am
Hey Larwick.
Looks good. But I still think the face looks a bit strange. The eyes seem too close together and the chin is jutting at a strange (and sorry, masculine) angle.
The main thing that's throwing it off for is the height of the older girl. From torso up she doesn't seem too tall but her thighs are huge! If the her lower legs are the same size then she would come down much further than the little girl. Which would look weird considering she's so much higher than little girl as well.
Just looking at it now. Maybe the knees are hidden under the skirt. If that's the case then forget I mentioned it, but instead make the knees a bit more obvious.
I think you would benefit from drawing the entire bodies without the frame to get the proportions right and then frame it after.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #139 on: November 29, 2007, 07:23:21 am
@ Larwick - Hey.  I don't have a tablet, so i do a fair bit of sketching with a mouse.  I've become fairly decent at it.  As for doing it in paint, its just what i open when im bored. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.