AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811755 times)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1770 on: August 25, 2014, 09:42:36 pm
Woah comments :)

Surt: Thanks. The doll face was semi intentional because I've learned my limits; anytime I try to make something look too realistic I veer far into uncanny valley.

Which I still kind of did.

Ptoing: Yeah, I see what you mean. Especially with the plate metal being bent to her posture. I hope it's not too warped and I can fix it without a full re-paint. I have to keep the blue on the boots so it can match her sprite (
).. but I think I could make the blue less saturate. I will likely redo the face (I fear doing that though; I once ended up painting 7 or so different versions on another image). I liked it enough not to even though I saw what you see; but I could probably do a little better. Thank you for the comment.

Mathias: How'd you?!.. I like that contrast! It looks nice on the shorts and legs especially; and the arms shading too. You gave her some hips! hmm I don't know about the warped stuff other then on the plate. But I really like the way you made the image pop out with that contrast and secondary lighting. Thanks for taking the time to do that and I will study it. Although her shoes appear to be on the wrong feet, they look more planted.. I struggled with that. I probably should have just busted out the liquify tool, it's a powerful tool but it irks me how it blurs stuff. And I may redo the cowgirl/anachronistic boots altogether heheh.

Goals: Add contrast/ more lighting (study Mathias' edit closely)- reform plate and boots- take another shot at face- slightly adjust blues- possibly redesign boots. Thanks fellows! Maybe I should have posted in low spec.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #1771 on: September 15, 2014, 01:24:18 am
Working on it. Tempted to just redo the whole head instead of reworking the face.. I'll ruminate on it for now.
Here's the newer wip:

& the original, the updated, plus Mathias' edit for easier browsing:

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #1772 on: September 15, 2014, 04:46:11 am
The original has better sense of depth. The depth in the new ones is out of whack because you're isolating the lighting/shadow to the edges. The new ones have more pillow shaded look than the original.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #1773 on: October 16, 2014, 10:56:06 am
Haven't had much time to werk on this.
Re did the face and touched up some parts:

Offline Lexou Duck

• kind of sort of a geek or something
    • View Profile

Reply #1774 on: October 16, 2014, 08:31:50 pm
i got 3 complaints

1 - the eye that is to our right is way too close to her nose, and currently conveys the image of an asymmetrical face, so yeah move it to the right

2 - the arm that is on our left seems too flyswatted and flat at the moment, try and get some depth and volume in there

3 - the contraposto isn't clear enough, you're gonna want to exaggerate the hips more so we feel the opposition between the axis of the shoulders and the axis of the hips

here's an mspaint workover to show you what i mean

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #1775 on: October 19, 2014, 08:54:54 pm
Those are 3 good points Lexou.
I will, if I get as much free time today as I hope; at least implement  the first two of those.
 About critique #3: I don't have time nor the desire to repaint all that again. But I get what you're saying there about the contraposto and it's something I can still learn from.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #1776 on: November 01, 2014, 06:25:57 pm
Hey everyone, a friend and I made a little game in 30 hours for a game jam. I think it came out pretty cool. It's a game where you arc electricity onto electromagnets to pull yourself towards them and climb as high as you can. You can play it in the browser here:

preece.itch.io/arc

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1777 on: November 22, 2014, 03:08:32 am
Long time since I last did some pixel art, but now I am doing some small icons for a game I am coding.

Is it possible to understand what each icon is supposed to represent? Context is a Kingdom Simulation Game and these Symbols are shown alongside a number whenever you look at the details for a character.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1778 on: November 22, 2014, 03:21:09 am
Is it possible to understand what each icon is supposed to represent?
Pow, Move?, Fly?, ?, HP
-or-
Attack, Jump(knight), Magic?, Blood?,HP?

The arrow next to the knight tangents his face pretty hard.
Didnt think it was an arrow until I looked really close.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #1779 on: November 22, 2014, 03:27:45 am
the sword = attack?
chess piece with arrow = movement speed? (perhaps the arrow could stand proud of the chess piece one more pixel or something)
the heart is health?

now the others look like a mandragora or a butterfly, and a bloody mask but i have no clue what they mean in-game. Magic stuff?