AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811798 times)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1680 on: May 03, 2013, 07:46:55 am
Thanks for that link Facet. He's got some real good stuff there. Does anyone else think that those pencil character designs have a lot more character than the final 3D-rendered versions of them? To me it feels like most of the qualities of traditional art are somehow lost in the translation to uber-polished, kind of sterile 3D-CG imagery.

I can't really put my finger on it or express with words what it is in traditional art but I find it much more enjoyable to look at real pencil drawings and real paintings than to look at digital paintings and 3D rendered stuff. Something is missing in the latter or maybe it's because it is usually too clean and too perfect.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #1681 on: May 03, 2013, 07:30:45 pm
@Facet You are too kind to me, I am not worthy. Back to the lab. Also do you think you can maybe post a higher res version, something not so jpeg artifacty so I can see your specific brushstrokes more clearly?

Will edit with results.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #1682 on: May 04, 2013, 04:01:54 am
Hey, glad you like! purloined PJ emotes! :lol:

Sorry, I didn't save the original file mainly 'cos it's quite rough and there's little to see! but I did think it could be distracting from the stuff I was trying to effect anyway; it should all be there at a thumbnail.

Brushstrokes wise mines's probably somewhat overcooked: as an exercise recently I've been paring back to basic round + texture only, kinda provokes a bunch of hatching across form to describe surfaces without getting too fussy, more drawing than painting which is interesting...to me only maybe. I just smoothed out some texture in the lights 'cos it was a little samey, and for 'over-exposure' paired to increased range in the shadows.

Dennis: I think few would argue against physical media being more individual, I used to feel much more comfortable with pixels or vectors as being native 'unapologetic' digital, over pseudo painting, but my views have meandered considerably, it's an apples and oranges situation ain't it? there's a lot of truly distinctive stuff now-a-days, I'll try and example up later. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:08:12 am by Facet »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #1683 on: May 04, 2013, 07:02:40 pm
I dig the messy and drastic hatching though. It's perhaps why some describe digital painting as digital expressionism. As a thumbnail it looks like its communicating much more information than it really is. This is something that is effective in pixel art as well, expressing the most with the least sort of principle, so it's interesting to me as well.

Here's what I've drummed up based on your edit and comparing back to ref:

btw I'm trying to stick to these brushes:
http://www.shaddyconceptart.com/download
They're a good general set for conveying a versatile array of textures, and with brush tweaks they cover even more.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #1684 on: May 04, 2013, 09:05:03 pm
 :y: yeah, priorities are better, it's kinda inevitable you've lost some of the freshness/economy of the original that I really liked with the editing, but hopefully it's ideas you can roll into the next painting more spontaneously. I'd consider bumping up the lights a little still, for a bit of extra zing.

I've had a play with that brushset and it's really solid, so often shared collections are a massive intimidating mess. I probably spend too much time messing about tweaking my own set, hence my round brush exercise. Experimenting with all the other tools can be as productive in PS though, it's so malleable.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #1685 on: May 04, 2013, 10:43:16 pm
I notice in the new version, none of the rocks overlap eachother.  Kind of eliminates some of the depth.

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #1686 on: May 05, 2013, 09:19:14 pm
I might post here more often, I'm slowly starting to make works which aren't "DUH obvious practice piecie" :D

photo based, b+w inks on gray paper. I'm still kinda used to vector art with perfect lines and perfect whites and blacks - not too happy with the white ink being semi-transparent but the end result works okay, I guess

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1687 on: May 05, 2013, 11:11:11 pm
@ Corinthian - Thanks for link the brushes! I was JUST about to say - wow, how do you guys get all this nice texture into your stuff??? Needless to say I've neglected to truly take advantage of special painting brushes. Foolish, I know. But I'm looking forwarding to trying out that set. Nice scene, btw.

@ r1k - That's a great point, about communicating depth in an image. I always knew the value of doing that, but I guess I never stopped to actually think about consciously. It's good to disambiguate principles like that.
Reminds me of a design class I once took, where I finally had in front me a textbook breaking down all the different design principles, rather exhaustively (with visual examples, etc etc) - things I already kinda knew in the back of my mind, things I did and felt automatically, but after that class I finally UNDERSTOOD them consciously. And that makes a designer/artist much much more powerful, since he has a firm grasp on fundamentals then. Know what I'm sayin'?

@ Cage - I love it. What drawing/painting tools did you use? Couple of fox hair brushes dipped in ink wells? The hair looks brushed, but then the right ear oultine looks like sharpie. Lemme know.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:25:03 am by Mathias »

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #1688 on: May 06, 2013, 12:15:39 am
Some generic black india ink, white acrylic ink (I'll try white gouache next time) and a 00 Winsor & Newton University Series brush (Synthetic hair IIRC)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #1689 on: May 12, 2013, 04:33:45 pm
http://i.imgur.com/YP3vZPP.jpg
Long time no see! A WIP of a Yoruba bronze to test out some brushes in MyPaint.

Edit:

Finished.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:17:08 pm by Chris2balls »
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!