AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 816707 times)

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1610 on: October 13, 2012, 05:30:51 am
Grimsane: I like the H variation, it's kinda unique and looks really cool.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1611 on: October 16, 2012, 03:23:30 am
hehe . . . the staff, too

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #1612 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:19 pm
First glance: N, K and D Grimsane :) They are interesting colour schemes, very unique, but not too outlandish that it would be an eyesore during gameplay and generally too...odd...I don't think the generic FPs world is ready for a very good art style just yet without people raving about how enemies shouldnt be pink and yellow, haha.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1613 on: October 20, 2012, 05:57:32 am
Hey guys, I thought I'd take you through the process of an illustration I just finished that I'm pretty happy with. Maybe it will be of some help to others or at least entertaining to see it develop. Also watch as my photography skills get (slightly)better too!  The concept is the guy is a disciple of the god of time: Chronos who had 3 different heads, one of which was a lion.

This was actually done in my sketchbook. the paper has been sealed with acrylic and here is a wash to get some values down and cement the drawing so I don't lose it.

The first layer of acrylic washes just to get local colors down.

This is as far as I'm developing the acrylic underpainting. It was very valuable due to it's quick drying time and the ability to clean up with water.

The first oil layer. The painting was very odd to me, and really the only reason I wanted to continue was the nice rendering on the drapery to the left.

This is where I first thought the painting had some real potential. The lighting was nice, but the head and his expression just seemed to be for a different painting entirely.

At this point I know I have something decent here. I glazed over the head and arms with black to lower their value and add some grit and realism. I also gave him a more solemn expression ( or as best I could, never painted a sad lion before). Rim lighting makes EVERYTHING better.

I was kind of amazed at how well this came out with such a humble, unsuspecting beginning. That's one reason I like this so much. It was also the first time in a while I painted some REAL detail, and on such a small scale ( 8x11 inches).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:01:50 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #1614 on: October 20, 2012, 06:13:58 am
I've always been told that oil doesn't bind well to acrylic, though acrylic over oil is fine. Not a big problem if you aren't worried about keepin it archival anyway. The rim lighting on the right really does look nice. Kinda wish the face had retained some of the texture from earlier stages.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1615 on: October 20, 2012, 07:37:25 am
Cure: I don't know where you heard that from, it's actually the exact opposite! It's a purely mechanical bond but oil does fine on top of acrylic. Acrylic on top of oil however will not adhere permanently. I've actually heard of people using this to their advantage to create paintings that were acrylic "skins" that are lifted off the oil layer.

http://painting.about.com/od/oilpaintingfaq/f/FAQoilonacrylic.htm

Thank you, I was half joking about the rim lighting, but I made sure it had some logical sense to it and tried not to overdo it. Some of the face texture is was a little scumbled over so there was a bit of balance from smooth face- textured mane- smooth cloth, but the entire head actually has some of what I think is the most interesting paint application due to how it was built up. Of course it doesn't all show in the photo, it's closer to the more painterly stuff i'm used to.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #1616 on: October 20, 2012, 02:19:17 pm
thanks for sharing that process. IS the first photo done with inks?  I cant quite tell.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1617 on: October 20, 2012, 09:28:24 pm
No problem :D The first image was just done with very watered down acrylics, but it could have been done just the same, or even better in ink!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #1618 on: October 21, 2012, 10:33:14 am
wow man that lil lion really turned around with that shadow to the face XD great to see you work Ryu....I got to get me a painting kit whe some free from debt money comes around my way =O

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1619 on: October 25, 2012, 12:16:36 am
All in just a little moleskine, ryu?

Neat character. Glad you shared all the pics!

So that must be a glowing hourglass then . . . god of time/chronos I just read . . . ok

Just think of how much more work you'll be able to get done if you go digital, dude.