AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 817057 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1590 on: July 23, 2012, 03:24:10 am
Thanks for taking the time to critique Helm, it solidified some of the problems I had with it and brought up some new things that show I'm a beginner in all this.

I suck at perspective. Completely. I find it to be one of the hardest things for me to grasp. An edit would be greatly appreciated if you get a chance.
The ribcage thing is poorly rendered and perhaps poorly designed. The thought was sort of an exoskeleton feel, perhaps like a second set of ribs. This character does not have a finalized design and I think he currently is showing my weaknesses in this regard.
As for detail: I've become so painterly that I've lost sight of this. It's so much easier to suggest.

Will work on all areas!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #1591 on: July 29, 2012, 04:27:22 pm
haven't had as much freetime as I would like lately, but thought I'd dump some stuff I've done lately

spent my saturday evening and sunday morning doing these for the current weekly challenge at PJ

this is a scan line wide and tall test/experiment and also this is with some real rough unoptimized value shifting to try nullify the darkening of the scanlines. I kinda like the dot matrix, came up with another but don't have the time or energy to splice it in at the moment, and the dot matrix is only on the lightened one as is anyway :blind:
oh and also was messing with this wide pixel version:

some 24x24 12 colour face portraits for a personal project that might get some active attention/development soon enough

did this voxel model quickly.

this which is related and the same kinda thing as that 3D thread I have going on the general board, which I'll update soon enough not sure if the lighting and subtle specular works well or not or whether a more subtle diffuse lighting or shadeless pure pixel look will look better but more on that later i guess,

and some other stuff I've been indulging in and enjoying in the past few months has been something I dubbed interpretive upscaling

like this I did for and of Argyle's tongue in cheek longscape entry on PJ:
been thinking an activity/challenge along those lines would be interesting.

and this rough one I did the other day from a sprite by BladeJunker:

I have quite a few more I'll probably share when I find the time (and files on my hdd)

been mostly doing 3D and sculpts and assignments for class. I've also been generating quite a few colour palettes, some 16 colour general/global pals and a 32 colour pal which I'll try sharing soon if anyone's interested

any comments, thoughts or reactions on any of the above would be much appreciated

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:15:15 am by Grimsane »

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #1592 on: July 29, 2012, 04:38:18 pm

I'd like to point out that the patterns used in this really stood out to me as being cool  ;D

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #1593 on: July 30, 2012, 03:38:09 pm
thanks ;D and yeah been trying to experiment with more and more abstract ways of depicting things lately, all the balancing of shapes in relation to each other etc, mostly just placed more instinctually and by feel than by any mathematical ratios etc, I've seen (though never used) some shape scattering filters that can do similar things, but I rarely think the readability and aesthetic appeal is retained with those, I also believe if you try to keep 1 shape type or the most rigorous restriction, sometimes it's detrimental to the art itself, I think you need to strike a balance, these were rather hastily done though so there are numerous flaws and slack areas

also moar of this:

done at that speed to test some pattern induced motion, a slower version

site keeps giving gateway errors and timeouts by the time it got around to working I was done filling in the blank spots :blind:

experimented with weird front on sprite, derived from a portrait :huh:

portraits look kinda crap at 1x :/ and I hope people don't mind me dumping all my stuff in here, dunno where to put them, and don't feel like bloating the place with threads, and I keep multi-posting in my pixel doodle thread enough as is

-----------------------------

dunno why but stumbled upon this through the forums, and decided to waste some time on it, no idea what I was doing never really tried landscapes at all and would definitely classify it as amongst my weaknesses
http://artpad.art.com/gallery/?m86wnt1n1qrw

kept it as quick as I could and didn't bother doing anything fancy, it's still quite sad regardless :lol: (I'd recommend sliding the speed slider to the far right, close to the speed it was painted kinda, dunno why it replays back so darn slow by default) site has a fixed colour palette too which is awkward to work with when used to choosing your own colours :watev: and the dynamics felt really really weird o~o like painting with thin enamel on grease paper or something

figured I'd share this here:

partial sculpt quickly unwrapped and experimented with texturing, it's in collaboration with a friend who designed the character, but really rough sketcherly stuff his entire face was my interpretation, the chin split is his design, anyone got any feedback on the texture, colours moslty? ignore the green though, and the abdominal region is rather terribly rendered, it's rough and wip-y but that's the general direction I've got in mind now, he didn't like that bone transition into the neck I added, so that's gone in the latest sculpt the anatomy has been tightened but he has some really freaky stuff going on with the design, some of which I'm reluctant to pursue :-\ coincidentally some of it is similar to Ryumaru's piece with protruding ribs, exoskeleton train of thought too, but it's more teeth like protrusions and other bones all over, some logical enough but others seem really illogical to me but he's persistent about keeping them
-------
this post is getting pretty big anyway some stuff I have worked on today

4x4 tile experimentation, and rough idea

^rapid 3D with some rather fast textures testing out some workflow ideas and methods, wouldn't mind making a small Ultima Underworld style game
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:10:48 am by Grimsane »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #1594 on: August 15, 2012, 06:25:09 pm
I've been riding a huge wave of nostalgia for the last few days so I went back to a Metroid fangame that took up most of my time four years ago, back when I had been pixeling for maybe a year.

Old stuff on the left, obviously. And I'm so glad I'm not stuck at that level anymore. Yay for natural improvement.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #1595 on: August 17, 2012, 12:17:56 am
epic progress, the doors were ridiculously big in the first one, but they look pretty small now :lol: over compensating maybe? hope you don't mind me posting an edit here

sticking to the grid, not sure if it's a good compromise or not?

-----------------------------------

recorded this earlier figured I'd share, there is some annoying background noise because it was just analogue line in, still trying to save up for a decent analogue-to-digital converter

also working on this, modular character with alpha based clothing layers and interchangeable mesh elements it's sitting about 1000 poly/quads right now, going to refine it a bit further especially in the arms, her left arm is mostly good, but the other has some jarring breaks in the silhouette I made the mistake of going assymetric too quick for asymmetric details on the texture, think I'll go back and multi UV it too for assymetric and symmetric texturing

I should start using my low spec threads n stuff  :blind:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

moar dump

some fluid sim stuff

completely playable FPS thingy I am working with ambient sound effects and stuff to push atmosphere, done in a single afternoon, going to keep working on it

character/costume design for 3D, character is already modelled that was a paint over for costume, yet to start on that, and some 3D environ experimentation

speed sculpt

weird retro SciFi interior WiP (cyan glow :0#)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:47:46 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1596 on: September 03, 2012, 01:26:49 am
Wow, you're really diversifying there. Keep it up.

If Helm had a boy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pYtxD92SpY  (first 20 seconds is gold)

Offline leroy

• Go with the flow
    • View Profile

Reply #1597 on: September 03, 2012, 02:01:17 pm
I too, have been working on my (crappy) 3D skills  :-[ I'm thinking about creating some weapons and props from STALKER games in lowpoly. Here's an outline for the AK-74, trying to keep it really simple.

I think my G9x mouse is breaking, the clicks don't feel like they're registering.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:03:46 pm by leroy »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #1598 on: September 12, 2012, 12:13:14 pm
some inspiration from 1930s for you animators:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVWxH7MPHnY&feature=g-hist

Offline Lóng

• Sometimes the scary spider is just a pile of dust.
    • View Profile

Reply #1599 on: September 22, 2012, 04:41:56 pm
some practice
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:45:59 pm by Lóng »