AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811630 times)

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1260 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:22 pm

Made this massive 78 x 116cm pixel painting on the backside of a framed poster I found on the attic today, it's almost finished but I can't decide what BG colour fits the best. It'll hang on my wall in my dark funished apartement, will a darker gray fit perhaps or is there any suggestions before I start filling in the corners with the toothpick?
The frame is also black btw.

And yeah, original:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:04:02 pm by SirBilly »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1261 on: June 14, 2010, 11:38:22 pm
Oh god why why, that's great and then you went and mixed resolutions!!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1262 on: June 14, 2010, 11:59:18 pm
it'd be nice to see what it would look like if the eye was 2x as well but honestly I don't mind it at all. May just be odd since its the only mixed element, but then again the finer resolution creates a focal point.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1263 on: June 15, 2010, 12:02:07 am
I've never seen mixed resolutions add to a piece, I'm close to arriving to the conclusion that there's some fundamental reason that has to do with pixels-as-atoms and shit why it's impossible.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #1264 on: June 15, 2010, 04:47:04 am
I've never seen mixed resolutions add to a piece, I'm close to arriving to the conclusion that there's some fundamental reason that has to do with pixels-as-atoms and shit why it's impossible.

That's interesting, actually. I've been going over concepts in my head for mixed resolution experiments. You may be foreshadowing it's inevitable failure!  :crazy:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1265 on: June 15, 2010, 06:20:57 am

I couldn't see that being the case. In painting, it is common to have smaller, tighter brush strokes at the focal point, and larger, broader ones away from it- effectively increasing the " resolution" of the focal point. I don't know if I'd say it particularly ADDS to the piece in question, but in my eyes it certainly doesn't detract from it. In the eyes of a pixel artist, we may be conditioned to seeing everything in one particular resolution, and may detest mixed elements like this just because it is a foreign concept to our work most of the time. Back in the days of pokemon red and blue, the double sized sprites of your pokemon eventually lost their pixel-y ness and the scale up only served to compliment the idea that they are closer to the viewer in space.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #1266 on: June 15, 2010, 06:56:01 am
Huh. Just noticed this topic.

This might be a little off-topic from the current discussion, but here's a little guy I drew a little while ago.

(I don't really like the head. :/ )

EDIT:
But uh, yeah. Mixing resolutions seems to be a bit of a taboo.
But the effect worked well in pokemon, I admit. It probably works if it is used properly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:58:58 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1267 on: June 15, 2010, 09:00:22 am

I'm inclined to agree with you there, actually. I think one of the main reasons as to why I still feel so strongly about low resolution in video games is how the pixel atoms are visibly shared between the background and the sprites, and how them sharing a grid makes them part of the same universe. Which has a huge suspension-of-disbelief effect on me. I start believing.

Anyways, that is probably for another thread, another time.

ATNAS bro, your lines are nice and you draw pleasant shapes!

Your details all have a strong sense of shape, form, in 3d space.

Whereas your pieces do not, in a bigger scale. You should work on more construction and then more construction. And if you are already working on construction, then you should see if you construction in itself is as solid as you'd like it. And maybe look at some reality and some other people's drawings and try to see what makes it all tick and see if you can get that to work yourself.

: D that all.
' _ '

Offline SirBilly

• MS Painter
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14358.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1268 on: June 15, 2010, 03:05:42 pm
Mixed resolution being a terrible idea is perhaps a matter of taste, aspecially in a piece like this on it's own without any detailed background. It's understandable it bothers the eye for pixelarts rights and wrongs but for me the 2x2 pixels makes it more of a peculiar art-piece rather than just an angular bird.
Aaand I'm out of toothpicks anyway and thinking a dark-gray for background?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1269 on: June 15, 2010, 04:46:58 pm
I couldn't see that being the case. In painting, it is common to have smaller, tighter brush strokes at the focal point, and larger, broader ones away from it

The great thing about pixel art is that it's not painting, though! I always get paranoid with real media art because I'm not manipulating the 'atom' of my artform, there's always a theoretically smaller one hair brush I could be using, I never know when I'm done and I never know if the broad strokes stand for themselves or what. Pixel art, for those that love it for what it is, is a remedy to that feeling, because you're always manipulating on the atom-level and trying to get your pixel clusters to be elegant and work together as best they can. This is why it makes zero sense for me to put a different resolution on a different resolution. Different grid means that the eye on the bird just made all the pixel clusters 'beneath it' be inelegant and chunky.

And what Jad said about the pixel tying all things together is very evident in almost all my favourite 8-bit and 16-bit games. I had to develop an outside language to video-game talk to be able to express why pixel art doesn't deal well with mixed resolutions, but it applies to game art too.

The strange thing is that there IS historical precident for mixed resolutions. On the c64 you could have a high res background and a multicolor widepixel sprite on top (or the reverse). On the Atari, sprites were quadriplewide I think for machine reasons I never understood. Scaling effects, Pokemon, as you mentioned, there's lots.

But my eyes and heart will never accept it as a strength in pixel art.