AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811458 times)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1220 on: March 13, 2010, 12:16:41 am
More school work.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #1221 on: March 18, 2010, 07:25:45 am

been playing with alchemy... I'm absolutely in love with it.  This is just one test concept I slapped together in a couple minutes with Alchemy+PS
http://al.chemy.org/

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #1222 on: March 22, 2010, 05:11:05 pm

I couldn't re-establish my dual-screen workstation without a goofy background. Was originally going to make him a CMYK palette but ended up just making it MYOrageAAK

Another one of my PWIPs (perpetual work in progress) that I've been working on off and on for like 40 years.  It's my wife and baby riding on their pet giraffetopus. Blurred out the faces in protest of my pickiness.  Still have a lot of refinement to do on this thing after I get the shading / highlights done.  Got the nerve enough go post a link to it in IRC the other day and got some ideas of areas that need work thanks to a few of the guys in there  ;D.  Figured may as well link it here while I was at it.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #1223 on: March 23, 2010, 11:30:00 am

Tried alchemy for a bit. It made obvious the lack of skill in some fundamental areas of painting things. I learned a lot i think. Thanks for the link!

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #1224 on: March 23, 2010, 02:25:04 pm
That's totally cool, I never really looked at alchemy before these last few posts about it.  It's making me wanna try it out along with Zbrush.  Sketch inspiration/interpret the blob games have always led to good growth for me artistically :P

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #1225 on: March 24, 2010, 05:58:51 am
Tried alchemy for a bit. It made obvious the lack of skill in some fundamental areas of painting things. I learned a lot i think. Thanks for the link!
This is really well defined for something made in Alchemy and totally awesome.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #1226 on: March 28, 2010, 09:09:15 pm

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #1227 on: April 06, 2010, 04:22:14 am

I redrew something I made about 5-6 years back. Click here for comparison. Made with a nod or five to Frazetta.

I think it's interesting that some people seem to prefer my older drawing. I can see a lot of flaws with the new one, composition and poses are downright awkward for example, but c'mon, really?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1228 on: April 06, 2010, 06:19:32 am
The older one is 'cooler' (simpler and more archetypal and more in keeping with the current zeitgeist) the newer one is more human, nuanced and emotionally layered. I prefer the new one of course, but

the body language of the prominent figure is womanly, which is antithetical with the material (this is why people would prefer the old main character with his legs open mighty stance and huge muscles) and his head is slightly too big for his body, giving him a somewhat 'childlike' look, so he looks weak and his expedition doomed. The birds of prey in the background make it seem like they will die soon and they will eat their corpses.

The secondary human figure is unfortunately cropped and placed in the background, it seems as if he's half-a-man, left on the rockside. Showing his solar region and some of his legs would help disambiguate.

Pay extra extra extra attention to hands and how they work and what emotions they signify (look at Frazetta again). None of the four hands in the picture are drawn correctly or emoting something clear. It's the 'action figure hands' syndrome, I tell you this because I often have similar problems.

Keep in mind all my critique comes from a good place inside. I'm always paying attention to what you post and have a recollection of your progress, junkboy. In my opinion you've grown a lot and you can become an absolute master at this if you put even more hours into fine-tuning your construction and anatomy. Your rendering is more than solid and you have a wide range.

Since I posted, in the case people don't know about my webcomic, here's a recent page

Pencilled by hand, inked and airbrushed in Manga Studio.

This is the last chapter, will be posting the last two pages in the next week, so it's a good time to read it from the tops here.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #1229 on: April 06, 2010, 10:03:57 pm
Jesus Helm, Christ.. That's amazing.

Now every time I look at pterminator's avatar I'm going to see this and tremble in fear.