AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811776 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1100 on: September 18, 2009, 08:44:23 am
That's pretty cool, Indigo. Are his hands going to be gloved? Right now there seems to be a lack of definition in the hands. Furthermore, all of the muscle tendons (specifically between the chest, and the neck area) look a little thick. Like individual ridges instead of fibers. I'm not very familiar with what zbrush can do, but I'm pretty sure that it allows for finer definition. It might be worth it to go over that area once more for an extra level of polish. Anatomy is decent as far as I can tell. I'm sure there are some things that could be touched upon, but I'm not really at a point to make educated decisions between incorrectness and style. Does zbrush allow for texturing? If so, do you plan on adding texture?

some vector art from me, done in about 4 hours.
It's for a title screen, which is why there are some areas that are more bare than others. I would have liked to pimp it out a bit more, but after a certain point you hit diminishing returns for time spent.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:46:20 am by Doppleganger »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #1101 on: September 21, 2009, 06:09:38 pm

WHAT COLOUR SELECTION

WHAT COMPOSITION

TRULY A MASTERPIECE

a friend told me of a completely ridiculous motif and I made it to surprise him. He hasn't seen it yet.

It made me do the PHOTOSHOP even though I only more or less worked with huge one-coloured fields. Oh well. I'll learn something cooler another day.
' _ '

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #1102 on: September 22, 2009, 02:56:25 am
TRULY A MASTERPIECE INDEED

I like how it's shooting directly at your avatar.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #1103 on: September 22, 2009, 05:05:58 am
Thanks for the crits, dopple.  Most of what you're saying is simply due to the early stage of which it's at.  an slightly more recent version here: http://danfessler.com/dump/hulkish1.jpg

though, I've kind of shelved it for a while.  good practice i guess.

I've finished a new song though, if anyone cares to take a listen...
http://danfessler.com/music/untitled1.mp3

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #1104 on: September 26, 2009, 10:09:10 pm
Wow ! You're such a great singer. Five minutes ago I didn't know you played music at all, and now you've just blown me away. I'm almost getting jealous now  :P
The composition work sounds neat and clean but the genre isn't my cup of tea so I'd have a hard time commenting it much more.

Bastard nitpick : At 0'37, the mike didnt endure the "pop" sound too well.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #1105 on: September 27, 2009, 01:01:01 pm
I've finished a new song though, if anyone cares to take a listen...
http://danfessler.com/music/untitled1.mp3

This sorta stuff makes me absolutely miserable about this horrible character flaw I have - upon hearing/seeing something marvellous, being miserable about how much better everyone else is at everything I'd love to be good at, instead of just being inspired to succeed. Anyone else get that? The feeling that success is suddenly that much further from ones grasp?

Darned brain doesn't get into "Time to succeed mode!" until it reacts to the realization it's stuck in nasally childish gitdom where the best anyone can come up with is "Eat brains, brains give you goodies!"

Gah!

*re-tunes brain and listens to song again*

This is better than the vast majority of professional stuff I hear, IMHO. Great voice, great lyrics, putting an album together someplace?
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1106 on: September 27, 2009, 07:50:35 pm
aah I get the opposite feeling as you scribblette. When I hear/see something awesome I get the ambition to do something better. I usually fail but if I fail enough I will eventually succeed!

Needless to say, after listening to that song Dan, I now want to actually start making music for my fictional high school band, c: . IT EVEN MADE ME GET OUT A GUITAR OH JESUS WHAT IS THIS MAGIC YOU HAVE WROUGHT.

Wonderful song, wonderful quality, talented voice. I'm sure people will buy your music en masse if you put out an album!

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1107 on: September 27, 2009, 11:21:55 pm
I just got a chance to listen to that song, Dan. I think you've grown quite a bit from " let go"- I'm completely envious of your voice. If I pick up a guitar and try to learn it, it will mostly be because of you ( and all the guys at parties that the ladies flock too because they can play -_-)
Yeahh I think before you try and sell your stuff, you should give me that song for free ;D

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #1108 on: September 28, 2009, 12:33:45 am
Thanks a ton for the awesome compliments.  I really dont think i'd make much money from an album given i have a virtually non-existent fan base to push it, but here's to dreaming eh?  Also I feel my songs are usually hit or miss.  It'll take some time for me to be consistent with making stuff people would like to hear.  Heck, my girlfriend doesn't even like my music :P  One song at a time I suppose.

Scribblette & Atnas:  I get a complete mixture of the two feelings.  Anger at the person for doing something awesome, and complete inspiration to surpass that - which I rarely do within a reasonable timeframe ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 03:06:03 am by Indigo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1109 on: September 28, 2009, 12:53:18 am
I second all that Indy, I was surprised by what I heard. I like the somber yet hopeful vibe. At least I guess that's how one might describe it - It's mournful, about someone who's very emotionally distraught feeling deep regret and failure, yet the song is sung with tones of hope - the singer doesn't share in the subject character's feelings even questioning his feelings of failure and proceeds to sing in a such that implies of a brighter future for the subject character, again, just because of the tone of voice, it's not depressed and . But then the perspective shifts around at the end. Listened to it a couple of times. I think I've reached the conclusion that the singer is referring to either his father, or his own reflection or himself but as an abstract thrid person, if that's sense. Like he's bipolar, and one side of him is posotive when his other side is very disturbed.

What do you use to record? I'm dyin' to get some good voice recording requipment. What you got does well enough, and I'm not sure how compressed the MP3 is.

Gotta do something to reverse Indigo's domination of the thread!! Quick, a random chunk of something ancient! :

(room17 is my office, yes it has a meaning, but it's cheesy so dont ask - all photoshop, done for a wallpaper)