AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 811344 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #790 on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:23 am
I'm working on this flash game for college applications.

SPACEBAR: Equip knives
SHIFT: Slash (Only facing south so far)
http://www.freewebs.com/subrosian/demo.htm

So far, I've only animated the little guy attacking while facing South, but I've found myself facing a gameplay dilemma: how to control two knives???
My original idea was to map each to its own button, but that turns out to be awkward and confusing. Please help!!

Any suggestions for enemies or other random gameplay elements would also be greatly appreciated.

If you have any critiques of my game art so far, I don't mind taking note of them, but I REALLY need to focus on moving forward. I have just over two weeks to crank out a polished, playable demo!

NOTE: The grass/trees and dungeon walls aren't meant to go together. I created the grass before I decided I want the demo to take place in a dungeon.... Any assistance on a dungeon floor tile would be awesome (but not primarily why I'm here). I also need to think of a good health pick-up (other than hearts.... grrr zelda.....)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:42:30 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #791 on: November 10, 2008, 11:55:14 am
I REALLY need to focus on moving forward.
Indeed you do! He's awfully slow, you know!

Jokes aside, a very cute base; but the slow walking speed seriously threw me off.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 03:56:48 pm by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Twinspiration

• View Profile

Reply #792 on: November 10, 2008, 03:45:14 pm
So far, I've only animated the little guy attacking while facing South, but I've found myself facing a gameplay dilemma: how to control two knives???
My original idea was to map each to its own button, but that turns out to be awkward and confusing. Please help!!

I suppose the best way would be to check for the Shift key being quickly pressed a second time to make a combo of sorts?
Otherwise, I'd imagine he should use both weapons with a single press of the Shift key.

I also need to think of a good health pick-up (other than hearts.... grrr zelda.....)
Medicine? Food?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #793 on: November 10, 2008, 06:00:29 pm
I REALLY need to focus on moving forward.
Indeed you do! He's awfully slow, you know!

Jokes aside, a very cute base; but the slow walking speed seriously threw me off.
Hmm, I was wary of making him too fast (which would be easy to do with a little guy on a big screen), but perhaps I overcompensated. Just now, I llooked up videos of LoZ:ALttP on YouTube for reference and was amazed by how fast Link zips around!! O_O I'd never really noticed when I've played it. I guess gameplay takes a back-seat to realism! XP I'll speed him up at least a bit. Thanks!

I suppose the best way would be to check for the Shift key being quickly pressed a second time to make a combo of sorts?
Otherwise, I'd imagine he should use both weapons with a single press of the Shift key.
I'm afraid I agree. (Auugh... so much more coding......  :blind:)
How does a leftslash + rightslash + double-stab combo chain sound? It would only happen when you attack in quick succession. (So a single key press would always result in a left slash.)

Medicine? Food?
I'm hesitant to do food, 'cause it's gonna be dropped by dead monsters and all, and also I don't want my hero to constantly be stuffing his face. :P Medicine could potentially work, but how could I represent that symbolically? I want to avoid generic glowing balls of energy at all costs....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 06:54:46 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #794 on: November 10, 2008, 06:38:09 pm
I'm hesitant to do food, 'cause it's gonna be dropped by dead monsters and all, and also I don't want my hero to constantly be stuffing his face. :P Medicine could potentially work, but I could I represent that symbolically? I want to avoid generic glowing balls of energy at all costs....

Once again, gameplay over realism?

If you really wanted to avoid it, you could go with the abstract floating glowy piece of soul (or spirit or chi or whatever the heck ethereal thing you wanna call it) and have that heal the character. Kinda like Super metroid's random purple health powerups, or fable's experience orbs.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #795 on: November 10, 2008, 06:45:58 pm
So many options. Vials, medkits, souls, whatever really.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #796 on: November 10, 2008, 09:16:27 pm
You could go the awesomely complicated route and have him find animal skins or hair or blood or spit or brains, then have to take them to someone to get them made into leather or cloth or medicine, then use that as bandages or potions. Lol. Or he could just get the skill to make that stuff himself out of what he finds.

Tbh that's just a random suggestion, it depends entirely on the type of gameplay you're going for.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #797 on: November 11, 2008, 12:22:33 am
Flowers are purddy but taking photos of wet paintings is ugly:

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #798 on: November 11, 2008, 01:34:12 am
all shiny and bright like candy  ::)

I like the rose a lot and it's very well done, but I can't help but feel some of the other areas are over suggested and under rendered.

Speaking of paintings, I'm doing a Fauvistic portrait in my class, I'll post it if it's any good.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #799 on: November 11, 2008, 06:54:36 pm
Atnas: Yes, I would agree with you. After I finished the red rose I was so excited that I sped up with the yellow ones :3 but, the focus is supposed to be that single rose, and since is generally similar thickness between the red rose and the background ones( i shouldn't have let that happen) then it made sense not to render them as much and take away from the focal point.