AuthorTopic: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2  (Read 818502 times)

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Official OT-Creativity Thread 2

Reply #1580 on: June 30, 2012, 10:58:32 am
that's an idea, like the kinda thing they did in the infinity engine games but from oblique perspective? I could try leaping back into them and adding diagonal directions, then I could probably get away with different angles for different screens, I was actually rather keen on the style of these sprites, done late '09 or early '10 I think I was getting jaded with SD and the stock standard aesthetic of most indie 2D RPGs had some vague ideas for the game, I might explore CG backdrops always been interested in that style of game graphics

the worst game to do it was bloodnet haha I was gonna compile that anecdotal perspective observation thing drawing lines to existing game's covering good and bad approaches and that game had no consistency in it's world scale and rarely any correlation between the perspective of game sprites and environment, while not a bad game overall the graphics where somewhat atrocious as a whole :blind:

also this:

hehe

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #1581 on: July 07, 2012, 07:25:59 am
did a quick jericho for kicks..

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #1582 on: July 08, 2012, 01:02:23 pm
Moved my post cos I found the correct topic for it.  Ignore this.   :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:45:21 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Reply #1583 on: July 13, 2012, 04:41:11 am
It's super awesome to just not visit this site for a number of years, then come back and see a ton of familiar names still producing stuff. I figured since I was in the area, I might as well vomit some of my own work on the way by.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #1584 on: July 16, 2012, 07:41:21 pm
freeform sculpt in sculptris between 1-2 hours turned out suprisingly well  ;D

I call it the Wumberbuck  :B

hooves and hands are a bit weird and lazy though, and forgive the slapdash turnaround  ::)

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #1585 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:36 pm
Aww I think wumberbuck wants a hug  ::)

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #1586 on: July 16, 2012, 10:54:06 pm
Grimsane, do you have any complete games with your art in it?

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #1587 on: July 18, 2012, 05:04:46 pm
Quote from: Friend
Aww I think wumberbuck wants a hug  ::)
with that frame, and those cold dead yet cute eyes I'd think twice about that :lol:

Quote from: Lachie Dazdarian
do you have any complete games with your art in it?

complete games? sadly zero, partly because I haven't been online enough over the years to even consider doing freelance or art for a project where people would rely on my ability to both communicate and transmit my work, and I have until the last 9 months never had constant PC access, so I wasn't able to keep up with all my personal projects (of which I had 2 or 3 that reached early (alpha/pre-alpha) playable states) let alone produce for other's if I did have net access. but I will hopefully have a few games with my name in the credits soon, starting to do a bit of freelance now that I do have reliable internet, some of which are thanks to the job boards  :)

and I am making waves locally so I might do a few projects there (generally want to avoid casual games though, as I have little passion for that line of work) and also found a programmer recently and have a game in the works teamed with them, but I am also doing a fulltime animation course and plan to do a 24 bachelors degree in Game art and design (if not mostly to make contacts and bide my time seeking work that'd hinder my pursuits, freelance and some art commissions should do fine)

not sure if you wanted to know all that :P but I am open enough with the boards to share that

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #1588 on: July 21, 2012, 03:04:58 am
Pixelpiledriver: Thanks for the critique, will be sure to implement it if I make it a portfolio piece!

Here's a comic book cover mock up I'm pretty happy with. I know the logo could be a lot better, any crits on that especially would be appreciated:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #1589 on: July 22, 2012, 12:35:57 pm
Here's some critique from me as a comic artist:

This cover doesn't give us a setting. It gives us a protagonist and a vague antagonist, but nothing much else. You wouldn't get to publish this comic, no matter how great the inside work was, with that cover, by any publishing house, I'd say. You're missing a great chance to give us a more pulled out look where you add topography and buildings, as well as a few relevant props to the characters. What is horn dude going to do with that upraised arm? Is he going to strike the vague antagonist? Why not a weapon?

On the technical end, you have some other troubles. First of all, your figures are not obeying the forced perspective. The upturned arm especially is completely broken off the perspective you're using. I could edit when I have a bit of time. Those are the perils involved with drawing in a semi-realistic style. You have to follow through on everything. Then, the guy either has a rib-cage, or he has abs, as far as I'm concerned. Not both. If he has a cavity where his stomach should be and his ribcage has broken through, then he doesn't get to have abs. The rendering on his ab area is supersharp and nothing else on the image is. Another burden with a semi-realistic rendering style is that your image should have a mostly even finish. In this case I would suggest adding more detail to the whole thing (as in, props, geometry, buildings etc) and then rendering everything on that level. Which is a 10 hour endeavour. But them the breaks if you want to *illustrate* comics. There's a reason a lot of us do black and white work!