AuthorTopic: Banana Nababa Remix  (Read 12239 times)

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Banana Nababa Remix

on: September 16, 2007, 12:17:16 am
An indie game by Lazrael called Banana Nababa came out recently (thread here). Fun game, good design, but I thought the graphics could be way cooler, so I made a little fanart:

Then Bisse of Perfect Run started making a fan edition and I hopped aboard and I started making a new set of SNES era graphics in earnest. Fruits of my labors so far:

Some sprites, no transparency because I am feeling lazy and they go on dark backgrounds:

Comments? Tips? Tricks? I'm not really sure where I am going with the tower image. I wanted to keep it very dark like in the source material.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Banana Nababa Remix

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 01:48:43 pm
This shit is so damn ace. Your style is delicious like a delicious licorice caramel. That is delicious. :]~ (being a subjective truth since I like licorice.)

Anyways, your skillz in making beautiful pixel PICTURES is totally super, and your skillz in ANIMATING things just doesn't get up to that level.

When you animate effects, it's like you draw representations of keyframes that look good when viewed separate, but this is the deal:

Animation can look TOTALLY FUCKING GOOD with really ugly frames.

And to prove this, I've made a 10-minute edit to your explosions.

mine <--> yours

The only thing I did was add some relief frames after the initial 'BAM', try to give it more of an outwards BOOM instead of the animation progressing robotically ONE TWO THREE FOUR through movement and time.

Another thing you MUST do when you animate is to focus on some small particles of the explosion and make sure that they MOVE CONSISTENTLY THROUGH THE ANIMATION. Otherwise the animation will flicker and look kind of flawed. In my opinion. <3

I also added a yellow colour for BAM.

Now this might not be the result you were trying to achieve, but I'm positive that by studying this edit, you'll be able to up your skills, so that you eventually will have achieved COMPLETE ELITENESS by mastering both still frame sprite pixelling, background making AND animation (not trying to say that I have, though. But I'm willing to head that way). Good luck, man, you are one of my favourite pixelpushers on this board :]
' _ '

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 03:05:25 pm
Determined imp is determined. Love that little guy, very awesome work all around.
I have no crits except that the yellow moon draws too much attention to itself. The focus should be on the tower/map, no?

Jad: Damn you and your delicious explosions!

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 03:36:48 pm
@Jad: Thanks so much for the praise my friend, but thanks infinitely more for the animation edit! I mean, God, that's such a ridiculous amount of improvement. I'll be studying it for a while before I make more effects, I promise. I bet I could make the dust look much better with the same effect too. Color bursts and relief frames, hrm. :D

I know my animations need work as my walk animations always really disappoint me personally. In fact, I'll be redoing the animation I posted here and I'll study up and try some things I haven't before to implement. Thanks again, Jad! ;D

@junkboy: Yeah, I tried really hard to make him look determined. A lot of feedback I have gotten, however, says that I deviated too much from the original and 'broke' it. Hmm, sounds like I should make the tower background monochromatic. Dunno why I didn't start with that. <:/ Thanks, junkboy! :3

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:14:07 pm
Yeah, I think making the moon a blue would fit it better.

Everything looks so beautiful and so inspiring. :D

Though what is the hero holding? At first I thought it was a bag or a club, but now I think it's an axe??
'Tis confusing.

Everything else is looking spiffy though, especially the face thing and the lightning pillar.

Must.Save.To.Hard.Disk.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Frankiesmileshow

• blargh
    • View Profile
    • Frankie Smile Show

Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 09:57:50 am
so what if you DEVIATED the visuals! Thats kind of the goal here!

Also, how come didn't I ever notice this game on GW?! its awesome!
shlong

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 10:56:22 am
Jad  Thats the best advice ive ever read about animation.
Animation can look TOTALLY FUCKING GOOD with really ugly frames.
and this looks pretty cool ive noticed that every time i make a small sprite or pixel guy when i try to rotate it or put on a angle it turns out really bad but you made it look smooth and its pretty good.