AuthorTopic: Lost for Inspiration  (Read 9048 times)

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Lost for Inspiration

on: July 18, 2005, 01:32:00 pm
So I've been programming a lot lately (since pixelation and pixelerate went down) and I recently figured out allegro. Since then, I've been working on a Pong clone, but I vowed not to make it just another pong clone: I'm making a pong clone with better graphics.

Unfortunately, I'm lost for inspiration. I tried teeth, but that didn't really work, and after looking at it, I didn't really like the idea.

So, I'd hate to ask for ideas, but do any of you have any ideas for what the: paddles, ball, and background should be? If you give me a good idea, I can put you in the source code I guess, even if I don't choose to use it (maybe.)

Or if anyone wanted to make them, that'd be the kick-assiest. Just PM me.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Lost for Inspiration

Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 02:30:48 pm
Ddddyeeerrrmmm... :-X

OK, how bout two pencils as paddles, blocking back and forth words (which are someway significant, such as *plip* or *poing*) that are misspelled!

<_<

>_>

I had to say something...

-Slayer.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline mjau

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 04:56:33 pm
Okay, here's some ideas off the top of my head ..

• Sponges for paddles (geddit ? sPONGe!  =P) and for the ball, uh.. don't know the english word, but those spiky ball thingies that live in the sea. The sponges has to absorb water regularly (at the top/bottom of the screen), or they'll get destroyed by the spikes.
  • Hungry crocodiles for paddles and a frantic swimmer as the ball. The player that last hit the swimmer may control the swimmer slightly (move up/down) to possibly avoid the other crocodile, but has to be careful -- if you hit the other crocodiles mouth the swimmer gets eaten.
  • Spaceships as paddles and a bomb as the ball.  The spaceships can shoot to try to hit each other, but if they hit the bomb it explodes and the player that shot it lose.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 05:28:49 pm
A Nature theme? Art Nouveau elements? Japanese painting? Childrens crayon drawing style? Tron? Pinball? Junk (paddle partially wrapped in tinfoil with a marble ball? Scratchy surface, wood joint borders) ? Ideas are everywhere!

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 07:40:51 am
You could have, like, hands for paddles, and you could see the arms attachted to them. And the ball could just be anything really. Like a crumpled up piece of paper, or a planet, which would really be cool because you could be like god or something, bouncing earth around in his hands,  and the background could be all spacy and shih. It will be awesome. So awesome I might make that myself. But I guess the idea is for you though, so you go ahead if you like it. ;)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 10:36:13 pm
Computer monitors for paddles and computer-like numbers for the ball or something like that.

A baseball theme? (Bat for the paddle, and baseball ball for the ball)

Clock theme? (Clock for the paddles, numbers for balls)

Pixel Art Theme? (Pencil Tool for paddles and big differently colored pixels for balls)

That's all I got for now :P

aka: Zoomrix

Offline DarkSword

• Shablov is coming.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 08:46:56 pm
How about a nature theme? You could have pits of thorn bushes on either side of the screen, and squirrels could dart back and forth on the bushes to stop the acorn from falling in.
There cannot be unanimity without dissent.

- Georgia K. Hortanane

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 01:46:20 am
I think this has been done but, how about war pong?  Like give both teams like space ships with large sheilds in the front.  Have the backround be a massive gif, or be in layers of random broken space station parts breaking.  Now it play alot like rebound, (the brick game) but with two players.  There is a full space station in the center, yet when the ball hits it breaks a chunk off which floats away.  Yet the center is constantly moving so a player can't simply break the entire ship them selves.  Yet to add more to the confusion the game is slowly rotating, yes roatating.  And gravity is changing aswell, well slight gravity. and then, meh curse you ADD

you can get power ups like more than 1 ball, speed, different ball types, ie, smaller balls, emp balls which lower sheilds... and then the spider layed the eggs.... ADD <(0.o)> HUG YOUR CRAZY GRANDMA!!!  GIMME A HUG!!! (>o.0)> (o.o)
<(-._)> HUG YOUR G MA!
Proud to be a BMS team: